Who likes to help read "HijackThis logs"?

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by EMC, Sep 30, 2010.

1. EMC

EMC Private E-2

Hi I'm brand new and thankful to find you all! I was told to post my "Hijack This" computer log- for help. I don't know anything about it. What do I do First?

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Welcome to MG's!! If you are having malware issues, we don't want you to post HJT logs. We want you to follow these instructions:
    READ & RUN ME FIRST. Malware Removal Guide

Once you have completed that, start a new thread in the Malware forum and attach the requested logs.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi and Welcome

Sadly most people are under the very mistaken misconception that HijackThis is a malware removal tool. It is not! HijackThis is simply a tool that is used to identify browser hijackers and in some cases it will show entries for some malware that is for instance running at startup. All it does is list a few of the thousands of registry keys that exist, and it makes no inferences to whether anything being shown is good or bad. That decision is left a person with significant Windows and malware cleaning experience.

So in the end its not that great, its ok, but not the be all and end all of malware removal, the guide that TimW posted is the best one to follow as it covers many bases and will help our malware experts help them to help you remove the malware on your PC.

4. catmanD10

catmanD10 Private E-2

Thank You Halo & TimW I sorta suspected what you've said about HJT & I've been using S&D, MBTS & Avast for about 4 yrs. now & seldom do I have issues, just checking out something new so too speak!!! Again many Thanks, and keep up fighting the good fight, (freedom of speech.)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds