Windows 7 Starter Download?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Nexus_, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

In a nutshell:I have an asus eee pc laptop
    hard drive was corrupt cannot access or get restore partition and don't have original cd for it.
    I also never made a backup image ( foolish by me).

This lap came with windows 7 starter
    The key is still on the laptop but i can't seem to find the iso through any website ( reliable one)

when i put my key on microsoft it says its an oem OS ( i think all windows 7 starters are?) and that i have to contact my laptop manufacturer.

Asus does not have the iso or link to download on their website
    They will not provide or sell me a cd with the media on it
    Instead they want to charge me an insane amount to send the laptop to them so they can reload the image and drivers.

mirror website from digital river is up but i the downloads don't work

Anyone know where i can download a clean copy of windows 7 starter and use my key i have on my laptop?
    Seems my only options right now as far as downloading is to torrent it but i don't like getting those OS files because of what others put on them

2. Silverthunder

Silverthunder Sergeant

Are you able to get to a dos command prompt?

For getting your files off, have you tried hooking the hard drive up to another computer?

windows 7 end of life is 18 months away, so might not be a major loss.

Linux Ubuntu is pretty Linux newb friendly.

Nexus_ likes this.
  3. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

4. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

Hard drive seems to be completely unreadable via another computer cannot access anything. But this laptop did not have anything essential

End of life for windows 7 does not really concern me too much, i pretty much stopped installing any windows 7 updates a couple of years ago my computers run better without Microsoft updates than installing their ''security'' updates never really had too much of an issue with malware or spyware , or viruses.

I have other desktops and laptops , this laptop is not used a great amount but is still used every now and then.
    As far as linux i have lxle on an sd card for this laptop , i am waiting for the newest linux mint release to have a stable version to move to that.

I refrain from moving to linux completely because i am not too good with the terminal other than the main commands used

Eldon likes this.
  5. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

6. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Same here.

7. Silverthunder

Silverthunder Sergeant

on a Windows 10 machine using powershell you can type
    wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey

I am not sure what directory you are supposed to run that command on.
    Probably
    T:\Windows\System32
    Where T is the letter of the drive.

Try hooking the drive up to another computer and cd to the letter that the connected drive is mapped to.
    You can try running the command on just the "T" drive or on the directory mentioned above.

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds