Windows defender gone from read & run me first thread?

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by Rudyard, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Rudyard

Rudyard Private E-2

G'day all, my first post here from an Aussie looking to tinker under the bonnet of his PC! Hoping to learn some new stuff along the way!

My first start was to try the 'READ & RUN ME FIRST Before Asking for Support' as I want to do the right thing by those helping me. I started yesterday but had to continue today and I had downloaded the tools in order including windows defender.

However when trying to pick up from where I left off yesterday I couldnt for the life of me find the part about using windows defender. I used the search and found it in the short part of the thread that shows but upon opening the link couldnt find it anywhere in there!

I finally noticed at the very bottom sayin the thread was edited today and windows defender was removed:

' Last edited by chaslang : Today at 11:53. Reason: Removed MS MSRT & Windows Defender. Added AVG AS as backup to CS.'

However I found another reference to windows defender in step 5:

'# Run Microsoft Windows Defender and allow it to fix all that it finds. If it will not run in safe mode, run it later after booting into normal mode. Also see the below bullet if for any reason you cannot run Windows Defender.'

I cant recall exactly which step windows defender was initially to be used but I think it was instead of counterspy and now counterspy is first choice and if not use AVG.....is that correct?

And if so will I still need windows defender in step 5 or was that reference meant to be removed aswell??

Sorry if this is obvious but I am just trying to get it right.

2. abri

abri MajorGeek

Hi Rudyard!
    Looks like you got caught by the change. It used to read, "only run CounterSpy if you cannot run Windows Defender", the reason being because people with Win98 could not run Windows Defender. If Windows Defender has been removed, then just ignore any remnant references to it and go to the AVG AS instead.
    abri

3. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

Yes you were caught in the middle of some changes being made to the READ & RUN ME. Windows Defender and MS Malicious Software Removal Tool have been removed from the procedure. CounterSpy is now mandatory and AVG Antispyware is a substitute for those who cannot run CounterSpy.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds