Windows Explorer Has Stopped Working on Windows 7

Discussion in 'Software' started by bmull, Jan 5, 2010.

1. bmull

bmull Private E-2

My wife's PC has been having issues with an error message popping up once in a while that says........ > Windows Explorer Has Stopped Working<
    She originally had Windows Vista Home Premium 64 Bit Operating System when this first started.

Now just a couple days ago..... I did a Fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit Edition, Only to find that the issue is still on her PC

This is a Gateway SX2800, that I am speaking of..... not sure if that matters but thinking the more info the better.... at least I hope. smile.gif

I have opened and run the Administrator's Command Prompt and run the 'sfc /scannow' system scan..... But after the scan was finished, it found no corrupted files.

The computer just recently displayed this error to me as I was on her PC..... I immediately checked the Event Viewer for the error logs... I have listed both log files that I found to be connected to each other.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Log Name: Application
    Source: Application Error
    Date: 1/5/2010 6:12:08 PM
    Event ID: 1000
    Task Category: (100)
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: Dawn-PC
    Description:
    Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, version: 6.1.7600.16404, time stamp: 0x4a765771
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5be02b
    Exception code: 0xc000041d
    Fault offset: 0x0000000000051da0
    Faulting process id: 0xa1c
    Faulting application start time: 0x01ca8d799ea55f3d
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
    Report Id: bebc4f9d-fa4f-11de-ab00-001d72bc80a3
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-01-05T23:12:08.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>664</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>Dawn-PC</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data>Explorer.EXE</Data>
    <Data>6.1.7600.16404</Data>
    <Data>4a765771</Data>
    <Data>ntdll.dll</Data>
    <Data>6.1.7600.16385</Data>
    <Data>4a5be02b</Data>
    <Data>c000041d</Data>
    <Data>0000000000051da0</Data>
    <Data>a1c</Data>
    <Data>01ca8d799ea55f3d</Data>
    <Data>C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE</Data>
    <Data>C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll</Data>
    <Data>bebc4f9d-fa4f-11de-ab00-001d72bc80a3</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Log Name: Application
    Source: Windows Error Reporting
    Date: 1/5/2010 6:12:29 PM
    Event ID: 1001
    Task Category: None
    Level: Information
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: Dawn-PC
    Description:
    Fault bucket 7092337, type 4
    Event Name: APPCRASH
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
    P1: Explorer.EXE
    P2: 6.1.7600.16404
    P3: 4a765771
    P4: ntdll.dll
    P5: 6.1.7600.16385
    P6: 4a5be02b
    P7: c000041d
    P8: 0000000000051da0
    P9:
    P10:

Attached files:
    C:\Users\Dawn\AppData\Local\Temp\WER1A42.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:
    C:\Users\Dawn\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_Explorer.EXE_b022adce665a3335b16f3e371231152b8194e52_0d3a69a9

Analysis symbol:
    Rechecking for solution: 0
    Report Id: bebc4f9d-fa4f-11de-ab00-001d72bc80a3
    Report Status: 0
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Windows Error Reporting" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1001</EventID>
    <Level>4</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-01-05T23:12:29.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>665</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>Dawn-PC</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data>7092337</Data>
    <Data>4</Data>
    <Data>APPCRASH</Data>
    <Data>Not available</Data>
    <Data>0</Data>
    <Data>Explorer.EXE</Data>
    <Data>6.1.7600.16404</Data>
    <Data>4a765771</Data>
    <Data>ntdll.dll</Data>
    <Data>6.1.7600.16385</Data>
    <Data>4a5be02b</Data>
    <Data>c000041d</Data>
    <Data>0000000000051da0</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    C:\Users\Dawn\AppData\Local\Temp\WER1A42.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml</Data>
    <Data>C:\Users\Dawn\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_Explorer.EXE_b022adce665a3335b16f3e371231152b8194e52_0d3a69a9</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>0</Data>
    <Data>bebc4f9d-fa4f-11de-ab00-001d72bc80a3</Data>
    <Data>0</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

I am not sure what all this means.. but hopefully some of you computer wiz can dissect the code. As this issue seems to be all over the net, but I just can't seem to run across anything to resolve this problem.

Any help will be greatly appreciated........ Thanks,

BMuLL

P.S. ........ > I have found another topic here similar to my issue, and a guy recommended the person download the Windows Explorer Repair Too here ........> http://simple-pc-help.com/support/win_Windows-Explorer.html?t202id=3349&t202kw=windows%20explorer&gclid=CKnj7Mu3lJYCFQTTXgodZHO9Aw

Just wondering if this is the real deal or a possible scam site? Thanks again for all your help.

2. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

i dont' trust it...but i don't see how a registry cleaner can help. A tried and true FREE reg cleaner is included in CCleaner which you will find many majorgeeks.com members use.
    http://majorgeeks.com/download4191.html.
    some incompatible/buggy programs can cause this issue. What software have you installed since installing win7?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  3. bmull

bmull Private E-2

Thanks for the heads up..........

Only software installed so far is Winrar & Limewire. I didn't wanna add more possible problems to the issue. at least until I get this one resolved. Hell I have not even installed any anti-virus yet... Had Avast antivirus and comodo firewall when I had vista on the pc.... but after I did the clean install of Windows 7....... I noticed the issue was still there before I had a chance to install those two programs.

I just decided to help eliminate possible issues and have left pc with only winrar & limewire for now.

Thanks for your quick reply.. If you need anymore info please let me know.

4. bmull

bmull Private E-2

I downloaded the CCleaner..... it did find some issues.... I made backup of my registry and let it repair the issues.... Guess I will see how this goes for now... or at least until I find out another way to resolve the issue....:)

Thanks. will let you know if that resolved the issue or not.

5. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

The download that was recommended is Regcure, complete with who knows what - very mixed report from WOT.

6. bmull

bmull Private E-2

Thanks satrow.... I did use the CCleaner... But I will stay away from the other thanks to you guys for steering me away from other potential hazards.

I appreciate all your help.

Guess I will continue to use the Gateway PC and see if the CCleaner actually resolved the Windows Explorer issue or not...... I will keep you guys posted.

Thanks again for all your help.

7. catrachos

catrachos Private E-2

I've had a similar problem with Windows explorer quiting, with my Compaq presario (is it my imagination, that when people mention a brand, it's an HP?). When I browsed in explorer eventually explorer would quit. I upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 hoping the problem would go away. It didn't and seems to have slowly worsened to the point that it sometimes quit in less than a minute. I checked in safe mode, and the problem went away. So I went through and turned off all services using MSConfig.exe, and then started turning blocks of services back on, working from A up. Wouldn't you know it, the problem returned when I got into Ws. I believe I've narrowed it down to two--either Windows Event Collector or Windows Error Reporting Service. With both of them are currently turned off while every other service is back on, I haven't had explorer quit for the last 30 minutes. Any idea why either of these services would be causing Windows explorer to quit? Thanks.

8. catrachos

catrachos Private E-2

P.S. I take it back (after sleeping on it). Windows Error Reporting Service is turned off, so I hid the messages but didn’t resolve the problem. Start over again.

9. bmull

bmull Private E-2

it has nothing to do with Internet Explorer......... I do not use IE..... I only use Mozilla FireFox.... IE Blows....... FireFox is the best browser out there in my opinion.

The problem lies somewhere in Windows Explorer, not Internet Explorer. But thats about as much as I know about it for now.. Well that and thousands of other people are having this same issue.

By the way....... you were talking about its always HP products..... My problem is not with my HP. It is only our Gateway PC with this issue..... and Both the HP and Gateway are running Windows 7

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds