Windows live onecare

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by prop2130, Jan 9, 2007.

1. prop2130

prop2130 Private E-2

Anyone have an opinion on this???

2. PeacePorter

PeacePorter Private E-2

Hey! What gives?

I downloaded and installed Windows Live OneCare under the impression it was freeware. The it asks me to register, and says it costs money.

It seems to work alright, but I have no interest in buying it.

Should I uninstall and go back to my AVG, Windows Defender, and Zone Alarm?

3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I'd say yes as 2/3 I use everyday except for windows defender and have had no problems in over 4 years. Try Spybot as added protection to work along with Defender, if you like it.

4. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

Heres a complete suite of protection that I have that will stop most spyware in its tracks.

AVG Anti-Spyware
    Zone Alarm Pro
    Avast! Antivirus
    SpywareGuard
    SpywareBlaster
    Spybot Search and Destroy
    Ad-Aware

These wont find everything if you do get infected, but it is a strong defense

5. PeacePorter

PeacePorter Private E-2

I thought I still needed spyware protection (like Windows Defender) even though I was running AVG anti virus and Zone Alarm. Does AVG also do the job of Defender (so running Defender is redundant)?
    By the way, thanks for your response.

6. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

Yes, AVG has a resident scanner which will stop most spyware from infecting you. I wouldnt call Defender redundant, but I prefer AVG better.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds