You Guys Saved My Bacon!

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by Mark137, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Mark137

Mark137 Private E-2

I'm so happy I stumbled upon your website. You see, I have this Toshiba G35-AV600 multimedia laptop that costs thousands of dollars that I bought in 2007. It came with Windows XP Pro, Media Center Edition, Service Pack 2. (I hear that XP is the last stable Windows operating system. Is that true?) My Toshiba has been a faithful friend and it does all that I want it to do. I almost never take it online, for obvious reasons, but, alas, I let my guard down and got bit by some kind of malware. So I pulled out those "rescue disks" that came with the machine, reformatted and installed. I hit the "Windows Update" button.... nothing! My Internet Exploreer V 6.0 didn't do me any favors, and would not hook up to Microsoft's website to get the updates. Enter MAJOR GEEKS.COM! I downloaded Service Pack 3, IE 8, and a few other things, and even as I write this, Microsoft is installing 157 Windows updates! Nifty! Thank you

DavidGP likes this.
  2. Replicator

Replicator MajorGeek

Yes, we are good.....but those updates your receiving are old hat mate!

You should not face an XP machine at the internet.
    Its not the last stable OS from MS, you should move to the latest in Win10 if you truly wish to remain secure online and protect the assets you face at it.

Welcome to MG's

:)

DavidGP likes this.
  3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Yes, don't use XP on the internet. Use the software you like safely offline.
    We have two XP computers in the house. Neither go on the internet. The one my husband uses to print address labels. He carries the database on a USB stick to the XP computer with an old printer from around 1997 attached to it and prints the labels.

DavidGP likes this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds