Data Recovery For Old Gateway That Turns On But Won't Load (full Details Included)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pelecanus87, Aug 25, 2016.

1. pelecanus87

pelecanus87 Private E-2

My goal: To determine if I have any options for recovering files from this computer

I will attach pictures, but my best attempt at description of computer is:
    Gateway desktop computer dated 8/27/02
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Intel Pentium 4 processor

What is happening: The normal startup/load screen appears, but it abruptly takes me to the "Sorry Windows did not load" screen and prompts me to select "Safe Mode", "Normal" or "last good settings". No matter what I pick, it will not start and continues to go to the "Windows did not load" screen.

"Computer type" pictures:

What I've already tried:
    -
    Inserting a "Dell Drivers and Utilities CD". No effect.
    - Clicking "Safe Mode". It just shows me these obscure codes and does the same thing. IMG_2147.JPG

Additional info: Here is the main disk area/inputs: IMG_2149.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2016
  2. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    pelecanus87 likes this.
  3. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

pelecanus87 likes this.
  4. pelecanus87

pelecanus87 Private E-2

It seems like it could work, but that article doesn't quite describe the message I'm getting. I posted a picture of the message I'm getting and it just says it failed to restart. Doesn't mention any of the things below.

From the article you linked:

"When you try to start or restart your Windows XP-based computer, you may receive one of the following error messages:
    Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
    Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SOFTWARE
    Stop: c0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry cannot load the hive (file): \SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE or its log or alternate
    System error: Lsass.exe
    When trying to update a password the return status indicates that the value provided as the current password is not correct."

Would this still work?

5. pelecanus87

pelecanus87 Private E-2

I am now working on a mac, and it appears that the software required to transport Puppy onto a USB does not work on Mac. Maybe it would work if I tried to upload Puppy onto a CD instead.

6. dr.moriarty

7. pelecanus87

pelecanus87 Private E-2

Would any of these work, or should I just go with the "Linux Live" CD?

I would much rather be able to re-access the computer rather than just take files from it. IMG_2155.JPG

8. pelecanus87

pelecanus87 Private E-2

Awkward Side Note: I was a young lad when I used this 15 year old computer and it would be nice if I could also....you know, delete some files if possible. So if somehow a solution exists that makes that possible, that would be ideal.

9. dr.moriarty

Yes, you can create a Live disc with Puppy Linux for Mac and use it to save(to thumb drive) or delete files.

pelecanus87 likes this.
  10. pelecanus87

pelecanus87 Private E-2

Thanks. I think I'll try this method.

Quick question: based on what you see with my computer, do you think my chances are good at this working?

11. pelecanus87

pelecanus87 Private E-2

Uh Oh, it appears the Puppy Linux for Mac link you sent doesn't work.

12. dr.moriarty

It's working for me on 2 different PCs using PaleMoon and Opera browsers.

pelecanus87 likes this.
  13. pelecanus87

pelecanus87 Private E-2

The "how to install" link isn't working, not the entire link (sorry, wasn't specific). But I guess if I just find the "puppy linux for mac" somewhere on the web it will be fine?

As long as I can Download to a MAC, but use it on a PC.

14. dr.moriarty

15. pelecanus87

pelecanus87 Private E-2

Not for lack of effort...but I can't find anything too straightforward on how to burn MacPup onto a flash drive...

16. dr.moriarty

17. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

I consider it your best bet - the main take away of the post was how to recover your registry - regardless of the error.

pelecanus87 likes this.
  18. pelecanus87

pelecanus87 Private E-2

Ok, so I used UNetbootin after downloading the "lupu" ISO. I followed the directions on how to direct the ISO onto the USB using "Unebootin". It prompted me saying it worked, and I then shutdown my Mac and took the USB flash drive to my old PC. I plugged in the USB and it lit up (working) and started the PC, but nothing different occured. Do I have to us the CD method instead? Or maybe use "Safe Mode"? What should I do?

19. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Have you changed the boot order in the BIOS?
    You need to set the USB as the first device.

pelecanus87 likes this.
  20. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

In other words, it tired to boot from the internal hard drive instead of the USB stick.
    The stick lighting up only shows you that the PC port is working.

If it had booted from the stick, you would have seen something like a menu asking if you wanted to boot live Ubuntu, install Ubuntu and maybe even options to test the memory and check if the ISO you burned to the stick is okay.

pelecanus87 likes this.
  21. pelecanus87

pelecanus87 Private E-2

Is this hard to do? I'm thinking about just burning it to a CD instead.

22. pelecanus87

pelecanus87 Private E-2

What is Ubuntu? I'm only familiar with the "lupu" ISO and UNetbootin.

If I am to change the programming of a USB, could I do this on the one I already programmed? Or would I need a new one?

23. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

No. But an easier option is to select a boot device when you start the PC. Press Pause as soon as you see something on the screen and look which key to press. The USB must be plugged in before you start the PC.
    That's also an option. But if the CD Drive is not the first device in the BIOS, you'll have to select it as per above.
    Ubuntu is another Linux distro.
    Just format the USB drive.

pelecanus87 likes this.
  24. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

I would burn it to a CD.

This machine may not be able to boot from a USB. It's kind of old...

pelecanus87 likes this.
  25. pelecanus87

pelecanus87 Private E-2

Would this mean it's configured to "boot"? This is how I've had it and It did cause the PC I'm trying to access to respond any differently.
    Screen Shot 2016-08-27 at 12.06.22 PM.png

26. pelecanus87

pelecanus87 Private E-2

I'm starting to really think I should do this. I'll try to find a guide, hopefully it's not hard to do this correctly.

27. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

pelecanus87 likes this.
  28. pelecanus87

pelecanus87 Private E-2

UGH. I burned the CD just using the software my Mac came with. I then inserted the disc into my PC and tried to start it up but no luck.

Would I have better luck using this "Mac Burn" program for some reason? Is there some sort of programming I need to do using Burn?

29. pelecanus87

pelecanus87 Private E-2

Edit: OK, it finally started up and I am viewing the Puppy interface. Just have to figure out how to access my files from here...I believe a previously linked article explains this.

Hopefully I don't run into anything too technical from here.

I plan to donate to this site after I'm done this process. Thank to all who helped.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  30. pelecanus87

pelecanus87 Private E-2

OK, hit a bit of a snag...I do not see the icons above "menu" that this article (which was linked in this thread earlier) describes. What can I do? Screen Shot 2016-08-27 at 3.57.13 PM.png

31. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

What do you see on the "desktop" when you boot the puppy CD?

32. pelecanus87

pelecanus87 Private E-2

I solved the problem. The problem was having either other CDs (in a seperate drive) or a flash drive in the computer upon startup. When I did that, the disk icons would not appear.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds