Audio device ac97 win xp

Discussion in 'Software' started by sheba0207, Sep 25, 2008.

1. sheba0207

sheba0207 Private E-2

Hello I hope someone can help I had to wipe my comp and reinstall windows xp but I havent got any sound everytime i try to install it says it cant install and i get an error code 10.
    I havent got any sound at all and i have tried everything plz help someone many thanks.................

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Uhhhh.... some info would be nice.... PC make/model? Motherboard make/model? Sound chip make/model?
    Please read this thread and then post back with some info we can use. ;)

Oh- and welcome to Major Geeks! :wave :major

[dlb]

3. sheba0207

sheba0207 Private E-2

hello sorry info packard bell model imedia5067 cant find motherboard only details i have say columbia and the sound chip says sis 650-651 I think that is it as im not up on getting details about comp as i dont really know where to look ....tina

4. sheba0207

sheba0207 Private E-2

hello seial no. is 027833620293 packard bell

5. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2008
  6. sheba0207

sheba0207 Private E-2

Hi thanks for the info I installed them but it has made no difference I still dont have sound, it says that there is no sound device .....but i have the proper speakers and they worked perfect b4 i had to reinstall windows. Is there anything else i could try as my son is driving me mad about not being able to listen to music, thanks again Tina........

7. sheba0207

sheba0207 Private E-2

hello again sorry but this message came up as well " invalid operating system or this installer doesnt support this operating system

8. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

That's odd. Both drivers I suggested are XP drivers.

Use Everest to get a report of your system’s hardware, OS, and drivers. Upload the report as an attachment
    Everest: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181
    When Everest is done scanning, click "Report" at the top of the Everest window, click next to get to "Report Profile", select "Hardware related pages", click next, select "Plain Text", click "Finish". Then when it is done processing, click "Save To File". Save it where you want to. (I would use Desktop.)
    Click "Go Advanced" in the MG reply box, scroll down a little way until you see "Manage Attachments", click it, browse to your file, click "Upload", and close the window. Then submit the post. You may have to also type something in the reply box, like, "Here's my report.", so that it will submit.

9. sheba0207

sheba0207 Private E-2

Hello sorry to be a nuisance I have scanned my comp and got these reports OUT OF DATE sis pci ide controller
    VIA OHCI COMPLIANT EEE 1393 HOST CONTROLLER
    and "UNPLUGGED DEVICES" SIS 7012 AUDOI DRIVER-PCI BUS 0, DEVICE 2 FUNCTION 7
    SMART LINK 56K MODEM PCI BUS 0 DEVICE 2,FUNCTION 6

THANKSfor the help its very much appreciated Tina....I hope this is enough Tina........

10. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Actually, if you could attach the whole report, it might be more helpful.
    What I really need to know is your motherboard name and model number.

I went to Via and looked around. The 4 in 1 driver there is the same version as the one I suggested, but PC sites are known to have the wrong drivers, so here is the link to the Via page:
    http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=420&OSID=1&CatID=1070
    Both drivers here should work, but the 4 in 1 sound like they are more compatible for your system.
    There is also a system scan link there just below the driver download link. You might want to try that.
    If we can get your chipset to install, it should solve all except for the audio and modem.

This is the SIS 7012 audio driver:
    http://www.sis.com/download/download_step1.php

I can't get to the SmartLink site for some reason;
    This is the modem driver from Imedia:
    http://support.packardbell.com/uk/item/index.php?i=REFFIUP04080700&ppn=P480405901
    And this is a generic from a download site:
    http://www.soft32.com/download_183251.html

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2008
  11. sheba0207

sheba0207 Private E-2

Hello i have download all the drivers that I was told to and still no sound it still says no audio device..... I was wondering if it could be the sound in my monitor that isnt working properly..I have an LCD screen it has the initials amw on the front i have tried everything else...... I am very grateful for the help that I have been given.....many thanks again Tina..............

12. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

What is telling you "no audio device"?
    Have you tried using headphones?

Are you installing the drivers, by extracting them (if zipped) and double clicking on the setup.exe files?

Check: Device Manager for bad drivers.
    For XP: Go to Start>Control Panel> System. On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager, then click the plus sign in front of Sound, Video, Game Controllers.

Check in Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices, click the Volume tab.
    Make sure the box for placing the volume icon in the task bar is checked.
    Click Advanced in Device Volume area.
    Make sure that you have Volume Control, Wave, SW Synth, and CD Player all listed in the Control. Make sure none are muted and the volumes are at a listenable level.
    If not there, click Options>Properties and mark the boxes for them.
    Click Advanced in the Speaker Settings area.
    Make sure that the speaker type you use is selected.
    Check the Audio tab.
    See if your sound device is listed in the Sound Playback Default Device list.
    Check the Hardware tab.
    See if sound device is listed in the list. If it is make sure it is enabled.

And please attach a FULL Everest report,

13. sheba0207

sheba0207 Private E-2

I have tried everything I have installed everything that has been sent and double checked everything I cant open any volume controls to adjust the volume .. All it says is no audio device but i dont understand that as the speakers are plugged in....sorry to be such a nuisance but when it comes to comp im a novice.......Thanks again Tina.....

14. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

In Device Manager, do you have an Audio Device with a question mark?
    Right click on it and choose Properties.
    Is it Enabled?

I really need to see a full Everest report.

15. sheba0207

sheba0207 Private E-2

ive sent report

Attached Files:

16. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Sorry, but that is not a full report and does not tell me very much.

17. sheba0207

sheba0207 Private E-2

i think this is the one sorry

Attached Files:

18. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

That's what I needed, thanks. :)

It looks like you might have 2 audio drivers installed.
    Goto Control Panel> Add Remove Programs and look for Sigmatel and uninstall it.
    If you can't find it there, go to Control Panel>System, click the Hardware tab, and click Device Manager.
    Click the plus sign in front of Sound, Video, and Game Controllers.
    Uninstall everything there, except the Legacy drivers, Media Control drivers, and Audio Codecs.
    Install this driver:
    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Driver_DownloadFile.aspx?FileType=Driver&FileID=726
    Then restart your PC.

19. sheba0207

sheba0207 Private E-2

H ello thanks for the help I unistalled the files and put the one in that you advised but its still the same showing no audio device and the controls are all still greyed over and cant be changed so im absolutely stumped now
    The system check i done is showing that the sound isnt switched on in the monitor but i dont know where or how to change this.. I have an LCD monitor amw make model no.F159 if that helps many thanks again Tina.............

20. sheba0207

sheba0207 Private E-2

Where do i have to install them to at the mo they are in my desktop so im not sure if they are in the right place so to be a nuisance

21. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Just double click the last driver I suggested and it should self install.

22. sheba0207

sheba0207 Private E-2

Right done that ans its stillthe same as b4 no sound and all the controls are shaded grey on the sound tab it still says no audio device........

23. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I can't find any info about speakers on that monitor and I have never used that brand or a flat screen with built in speakers.
    Do you have a manual? (none found on-line)
    Have you tried plugging headphones into your PC?
    Going to ask for some help but it may be later before he shows.

24. sheba0207

sheba0207 Private E-2

I have desktop speakers plugged in to the comp one plug goes in the monitor and one in the comp but no sound comes out....ive run out of ideas now lol they were working fine b4 i had to reinstall windows but since the reload nothing........i wish u could do remote assistance then you could see what i mean .....i will wait to hear from u again and thanks for everything im very grateful.Tina...........

25. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I don't think the speakers are the problem. But....
    Have you changed anything with the speakers since this problem started? Like unplugging them?
    Are you sure they are in the right jacks?
    Look at the thumbnail, I believe I understand how your speakers work now.

I PM'd another member because I am totally confused on this audio. He's usually on later.
    Imedia says that you have Via sound. Gigabyte (your motherboard) says that you have SIS audio, and then there was the odd Sigmatal audio there in the Everest report.
    What we have done should have gotten your sound back. I am missing something, somewhere. Let's see what he has to say.

Attached Files:

26. whiterican74

whiterican74 Private E-2

I have followed this thread and musksnipe I am just as dumbfounded as you. I researched the sis and sigmatel and they are showing the same drivers. I also looked into Via and found no compatible driver. can't wait to see if your guy gets it right.
    White

27. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

OK- lets try something here. First: look in your device manager and tell us if anything has either a question mark ? or an exclamation point ! and if so, tell us what it says next to it. To get to the device manager, right click My Computer > Properties > Hardware > Device Manager. Second: you may need to shut down the PC for this step as you might need to move it around a bit. Look at the back of the PC. You'll see a panel where the mouse and keyboard plug in; there should also be some colored jacks in this panel (among other things) - a red/pink jack, a blue jack, and a green jack. Now, look further down on the PC. Do you see another set of colored jacks? If not, great. If so, let us know. The speakers should be plugged into the green jack on the same panel as the mouse. This green jack is the on board audio-out jack. The red/pink is for a microphone, blue is line-in (or is it line out? it doesn't matter; green is the most important one). One thing I found really odd, is that the Everest report lists both SiS audio, and SigmaTel audio. This is strange enough on its own, but the Gigabyte motherboard site also lists two audio drivers: the same SiS audio driver, and a totally different RealTek audio driver. This is really, REALLY strange. If the PC is saying "no audio device" that has nothing to do with the speakers (at least not yet). The "no audio device" means that Windows doesn't recognize any sound creating device (like a sound card). This could be because the device is disabled, or that the driver hasn't been loaded. Anyway, let us know about the device manager, and let us know about the back of the PC, and we'll go from there.

(you might want to go to Add/Remove Programs and remove any sound drivers listed regardless of what they are)

And just in case anyone is curious, here's the list of all the drivers from Gigabyte:
    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Driver_Model.aspx?ProductID=1335

28. sheba0207

sheba0207 Private E-2

Hello I thought I would let you know that when i deleted those drivers that you said and installed the other one the deleted ones jumped straight back in again . unless thats what the new one is.. but im very grateful forthe help that im receiving I think this forum is great and the people out there are brill many htanks again Tina.......

29. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Tina, make sure to follow dlb's advice,
    Some of the drivers I had you delete would reinstall when you re-booted.
    I was trying to resolve any hardware conflicts that might have been happening with them.
    If you know how to post a screen shot of your device manager (Sound, Video, and Game Controllers), that would really help.
    Screenshots

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2008
  30. sheba0207

sheba0207 Private E-2

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
    I now have sound i plugged them into the back of comp in the other sound bit and now they work perfect thanks very much for all your help you have been brilliant i will recommend this site to all my friends I think its brill my son is jumping up and down in excitement at getting sound back so thankyou very much for everything Tina.xxxxxxxxxx

31. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Amazing....
    I would not have thought of the two sets of jacks.

Great job, dlb. :celebrate

@ Tina
    BTW are you THE Tina Turner? I love your songs! LOL

32. sheba0207

sheba0207 Private E-2

fraid not I married a Turner and my hubby is the double of meatloaf lol
    Im very grateful for all the help at least i can listen to boy george all day ......many thanks again Tina xxxxxxxxxxxx

33. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

LOL When I saw the Everest report showing 2 diff audio devices, I figured "maybe there's two sound cards and the speakers are plugged into the wrong jack". I guess I was right.

To sheba 0207: you really should either disable the on board audio and use the secondary sound card; or remove the secondary sound card -as in open the case and physically pull it out of the PC- and use the on board sound. Having both audio devices installed is really not a good idea, and has already caused the above confusion, and may lead to more confusion in the future. So, if you're using the sound card now, go into the system BIOS (press F2 or Del right when you turn on the PC to get into BIOS) and look for 'Integrated Peripherals' and set the audio to 'disabled'. If you're using the on board audio and you're not comfortable with opening the case, you can go into the device manager, right click on the audio device that you're not using, and select 'disable', but removing it from the PC is definitely the recommended course of action. Since everything is working OK now, you can probably wait to do this, but sooner or later you should 'get rid of' the sound device that isn't being used; having 2 can lead to conflicts and more confusion.

Glad to hear it's working now! :celebrate

[dlb]

34. sheba0207

sheba0207 Private E-2

Thank for the help i dont know what one im using lol i just plugged the jack into the comp and got sound so now both speaker plugs go into the comp., and not the monitor .ty again Tina :-D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds