Best malware and defrag programs?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Paula320, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Paula320

Paula320 Private E-2

I have Windows 7. At this time, I use Comodo for antivirus and firewall. I have Spywareblaster, Superantispyware, Malwarebytes, and Spybot and I use them once a week. I have Smart Defrag 2 and use it once a week. Keeping my computer healthy is very important to me. I would just like opinions whether I should add, subtract, or replace any of these programs. Thanks.

2. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

I think your PC just removed a virus from my PC with all of those you have just from me reading this post.

Seriously, try this Google search:

2013 anti-virus test

There are some very good comparisons there. I think consistency is the best measure for A-V...

3. cipher

cipher Major Geek Extraordinaire

Here is a good post to read:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=25834

If you can afford it, get real time anti-malware software running on your machine. Just one of this type. Malwarebytes is a good choice in this regard. the passive scans are OK, but there is nothing like stopping it before it latches on...

If you're satisfied with your AV choices, good. The free Microsoft tools are also excellent, for Win 7:

Cleanup:
    Microsoft Safety Scanner
    Windows Defender Offline
    Microsoft
    Malicious Software Removal Tool

Prevention:
    Microsoft Security Essentials
    Windows Defender

4. Spartan

Spartan Private First Class

Microsoft Defender or Windows Defender or MSE? Really? you are recommending the worst antivirus (I wouldn't even classify it as an AV really) to the guy?

Read the latest results here, and everytime it gets the worst results. MSE is a virus on its own because it makes people *think* that they are protected when they're not

http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home-user/windows-8/janfeb-2013/

Horrible, I pity anyone who uses them on his/her computer and *think* it works great it's free whooopie!! I have viruses lurking in my computer and I don't even know about it

5. AtlBo

Is that NEO-prene you're wearing? :cool

No, seriously, the results tend to change from month to month, and results seem to be very test specific. As a result, one A-V can look bad in one test and like the best in another.

IMO, listen to the remarks of veterans and look at the results. Then go for the most consistent performer across all fronts. If that leaves hole in your security, then patch with something else such as a high end firewall, etc.

I don't have any problem with the MS security programs. I use Avast, but Kaspersky seems to be the most consistently excellent, so I will probably have Kaspersky at some point at least on one machine.

http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php?chart=chart2&year=2013&month=3&sort=0&zoom=2
    :major

6. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

Have to go along with cipher about Malwarebytes. Unlike so many other security apps. that are yearly subscription based, Malwarebytes is a one time charge for a life time subscription that gives you real-time protection and automatic updates.

I would probably un-install Spybot-Search & Destroy. Although it has it's uses it has pretty much been surpassed by the likes of SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes. If you are using Spybot's "immunizing" feature you should use it's "Undo" option before un-installing. Once un-installed re-run Spywareblaster.

Since you already have an anti-virus installed that seems to be working for you and everyone has an opinion on which is best and worst, all I can say is, I use one that is listed in |MG's|Top Freeware Picks. Second category listed.

You can overdo the defragging. Doesn't Smart Defrag 2 have a background defrag option? Defragging once a week seems a bit excessive to me, but it does depend on your computer usage.

If you don't already have |MG| CCleaner Slim, it would be a good idea to add it to your arsenal.

Another one to have on hand is |MG| Revo Uninstaller

Might want to have a read through of How to Make Your Computer Run Like New in 4 Easy Steps.

7. cipher

I use Microsoft security products, and I don't have problems. The 800 lb. gorilla in the room is best practices not being observed.

I read articles that confirm my opinion that many users bring on most of their problems because of warez, pron sites, infected P2P downloads, and not taking precautions to secure their browser. WOT, VirusTotal and many browser plugins can do wonders for risk reduction.

Another great way to protect your computer is to not work in an admin account unless you need to for a specific purpose and then logout of it when done. So many Windows users feel some great need to be in an admin account all the time, or diasble UAC.

Zero Day nasties can hit anyone using any package, as no one is prepared for some of them.

And there are websites with articles that contend that Microsoft security products are at least middle of the pack, some better, some worse. Opinions, eh?

A layered defense, in which MS products can be an effective part, and good common sense using best practices will serve you well.

8. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

Re defragging: I have used Diskeeper in the past, and it did a superb job on older Windows versions.

Since Windows 7 I don't use any defragger; Windows does an excellent job doing that itself.

9. AtlBo

cipher, I have never used MS Security products, but they must be at least good, considering how many people use them. This is remarkable to me all the more in light of how stingy Microsoft has traditionally been (my perception).

How about a comparison of overall security between Microsoft and Comodo? Lot's of interesting discussion in this comparison for me. I think I would start this conversation by mentioning the reason for Comodo Firewall, Programs Manager, and System Utilities...the lack of truly effective such from MS in the first place (well, at least in XP). I confess I don't know enough about System Utilities yet to rate it, even though I do have it installed, but the sheer amount of security available from Comodo is something that impresses me personally...

10. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

No more true words cipher, except for the "800 lb. gorilla" part, maybe 10,000 lb. elephant? Didn't intend to denigrate your suggestion of MS security offerings. I've installed MSE on several computers, all reports are happy.

Since no one AV product(paid or free) is 100%, "best practices not being observed" and "A layered defense" are critical/key points in keeping a computer running smoothly.

For the OP, items cipher mentioned you would do well to make use of:
    Think it's important to note that WOT is not infallible(what is?) but it is a valuable guide.

"Zero Day nasties can hit anyone using any package, as no one is prepared for some of them." Ummm, a discussion for another topic me thinks.

11. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

12. cipher

My experience has been this: Back when XP was young and Zone Alarm was worth a d***, that was my firewall. Along with whatever AV I was enamored of at the time and the usual assortment of anti-malware programs.

Today I rely upon my router's Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI) and the Windows native software firewall. My current paramour among AVs is Avast, I like the configuration options although I do run MSE on a Win 7 box.

Comodo is good stuff, I've run it in the past without problems, but when they dropped the Time Machine it set me off on a voyage of discovery (read Acronis for that job) as it were and I ended up where I am now...

Best practices, and I failed to mention patches and updates previously, is the bedrock of my philosophy. And on the subject of updates, I know some are firm believers in automatic updates, after 2012 and again this year, I don't do that. Plodr put me onto Windows Secrets and I subscribed, mainly for Susan Bradley's labors in this area. Auto updates are probably fine for most, I like the illusion of control... :)

I run Malwarebytes as my real time protection, and keep some passive ones about because they can't hurt and may help. As has been mentioned in previous threads, i am on the lookout for false positives and don't hit the kill button by reflex, I check things out first

Your main point, MS security products, is well taken but I think MS is committed to quality and effective security products and what they offer today is much better than yesterday and seems to be improving.

13. Paula320

Paula320 Private E-2

Thank you for all the suggestions! I will look into everything suggested and read the articles posted on here and go from there. By the way, I do have CCleaner Slim. I forgot to mention that. Thanks again!

14. cosman25

cosman25 Private E-2

I've had good luck using MSE on my Desktop computer. No virus' or other nasties in the year or so since I switched from Avast.

I'll use Malwarebytes to run a scan every few weeks just for piece of mind.

The biggest thing you can do to help prevent virus'/trojans from hijacking your machine is to not work on your computer logged in as a local Admin. Set up another user with minimal permissions and work from that account.

15. theefool

theefool Geekified

Yet another AV vs AV question. I also use the built in windows defender (even though MS bought the company from GIANT). I still think it is good. Personal opinion. NO viruses at all.

Defrag programs, I'd say free goes|MG| MyDefrag 4.3.1 Download
    This defrag program you can customize via scripts if you wanted to. Very customizable.

Paid: |MG| PerfectDisk 12.5.312 Download
    Before I got an SSD, this was my preferred choice.

Note: SSD's do NOT need to be defragged.

16. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Windows 7 includes a defragger and a weekly schedule when it runs.
    It's my understanding that defraggers with the newer OSes are not as critical as they once were. I haven't heard good or bad about 7's built in defragger - that's what I'm using.
    I've has a netbook since Aug. 2011 and just checked. It ran the defragger 6 days ago. I analyzed and the hd does not need defragging so it is doing the job.

17. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Speaking of Windows Secrets, your post reminded me of an article I just read recently.

Microsoft’s six free desktop security tools
    (their new Google popup survey is annoying - yes, it is more than once in 24 hours)

IMHO, it's not an illusion. I don't like all of those automatic downloads and system changes going on transparently at any time
    they choose.

I have also used TrendMicro: HouseCall – Free Online Virus Scan

Agree with thefool about MyDefrag, previously known as JKDefrag.
    I've been using the Jaspion Optimization Scripts available at the MyDefrag Forum.
    Jaspion System Disk Optimization Scripts v8.1 - 1 December 2012
    I also use [MG] Puran Defrag Free Edition for it's visual analysis report,
    and also to quick defragment a specific folder via the right click menu option.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds