Blue Screen error, says its caused by driver, help :(

Discussion in 'Software' started by Alex187, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Alex187

Alex187 Private E-2

Hey, I recently installed a new CD burner (Liteon Combo Drive 52x32x52x CD-RW & 16x DVD-ROM) on my PC, Windows XP, Dell, 512 RAM, GeForce4 MX440 64MB DDR PCI.

My problem is that everytime after like 5 minutes of gameplay of any game I play on my PC itll shut down and the blue screen will appear with the following error:

------------------------
    A Problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

The problem seems to be caused by the following file: nv4_disp.dll

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your PC. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware manufacturer for our Windows updates you need.

If problem continues, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart PC and press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, select safe mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x00000050 (0xB370B000, 0x00000000, 0xBFB10D70, 0x00000000)

*** nvt_disp.dll - Address BFB10D70 base at BF9B7000, Datestamp 4260d02c

Beginning Dump of physical memory.
    Dump completed.
    ----------------------------

Now I know my card sucks and all, but its been working for about 2 years fine with any game. This problem seem to occur after installing my CD burner. I uninstalled it from my PC and disabled the driver, but I still get this error. Any help will be greatly apprecciated, please let me know if you need any more information. Thanks! :)

2. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

There are a few possible causes here. The first, make sure your system is up to date by going to Windows Update and installing all critical and optional components.

Next, I would update your video drivers here: http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

Then, assuming you have a Pentium and Windows XP or 2000, I would update your chipset drivers with this.

Now try to play a game and see if you have better luck.

If this doesn't work, get a can of air and open up you case and blow out all the dust. Overheating due to dust is a very common cause for this problem, especially if a smoker lives in your household.

If that doesn't work, things become more difficult to diagnose and fix. It might be Windows is somehow damaged, or it might be something serious like damaged RAM, damaged graphics card, or damaged motherboard (there are ways to test those, as well). If you've had a lot of storm activity recently, that can cause electrical spikes that can easily damage computer components, or the components might be heat-damaged or simply worn due to age.

3. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Just to add to this, outdated software has been known to cause this problem, as I've experienced.
    If you use the Blackice firewall, you could have this problem as I've found on a few computers, mine being one of them, switch to Zone Alarm (free version) and the problem has gone, so this is another thing to look out for.

4. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

5. AllComputersFearMe

AllComputersFearMe Private E-2

Hmmmm. Well, The CD Burner could have a virus.. Just a thought..

Why not Delete the file that it says is caused from it?

6. theefool

theefool Geekified

[​IMG]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Typically, those BSOD is a memory issue. If you have more then one stick of ram, I'd try taking one out and seeing if the issue comes again.

Or run Memtest86+
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4226

NOTE:

Do not take memory out of your computer if you have RIMM/RDRAM. If you have this, then you must keep them in, then run the memtest86+. RIMM/RDRAM always run in parallel. How do you you typically check to see if you have RIMM/RDRAM? Check to see if you have 4 memory slots, next, the memory sticks should have chips on them. The other 2 slots should not have chips on them. As in they are flat......

Last edited: Aug 18, 2005

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds