Camstudio Starts My Whole Screen Blinking When I Hit Red, Record Button

Discussion in 'Software' started by outdoorgal, Jun 5, 2016.

1. outdoorgal

outdoorgal Sergeant Major

I had this issue after downloading Camstudio the first time, using it about 3 times, and then the blinking started so I thought "virus" and hurried to uninstall. I did so, and just decided to try camstudio one more time today. The blinking started with my first attempt to record.

I just went to a puzzle site I wanted to do a short tutorial on for some of my senior friends that find it hard to navigate the site (thejigsawpuzzles.com). I doubt there is any problem on the website because I had recorded myself putting a puzzle together 3 times with no issues, except for a little noise in the background which I solved with help from someone here.

Now I'm afraid to try Camstudio again. The blinking is of no color, and I say that because there are a lot of people looking to solve a blinking, green screen. I don't have that one. I have the CS set to full-screen so I don't think it has to do with the "regions" options with the little, blinking corners around whatever "region/area" you are recording.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance, and if nothing else, I'd like to try another recording software. Camstudio had the best audio, and it didn't break up in places like some programs.

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Open CamStudio and click Options > Program Options > check Hide flashing rectangle during recording.

outdoorgal likes this.
  3. outdoorgal

So that is what made my whole screen blink? Thank you Eldon for your reply, I can try it again. I also ran across another freeware program, but it has a lot of configuration that I don't understand. Hate to have all that in a program and never use it. That freeware is called Open Broadcaster. Thank you again:)

4. Eldon

outdoorgal likes this.
  5. outdoorgal

I got all kinds of error messages when re-downloading Camstudio. When I uninstalled it, I cleaned out all the files that had to do with camstudio, and restarted. I don't think I want to mess with it again, so I'll take a look at the other link you gave me Eldon. It sound exactly like what I need.

Yes, I understood, well, found out early on about the flashing borders, but I did forget to turn that off in options, or hide it I mean.

Thank you for all your help:)

6. outdoorgal

Hmm, when I type in PSR, it brings up Step Recorder in my "search" of File Manager, but when I click it, nothing opens. I don't have a clue Eldon. I'm running Win10 and I followed the steps to find PSR on my laptop, but it doesn't appear to be there. I'll work on it tomorrow. I appreciate the info on it. It's not really what I want for doing my videos of tutorials as it just puts together screen shots it says.

I know you are right about the overkill with the OB though, not gonna go there. I wish I could figure out why the download for camstudio is acting so goofy. I'm too tired to mess with it anymore tonight though. Thanks again Eldon:)

7. Eldon

As per my PSR thread... in Windows 10 it's called Steps Recorder and it should be on the Start menu.
    It takes screenshots of all steps along with what you clicked on. Have a look at the sample file I included.

outdoorgal likes this.
  8. outdoorgal

I did find it listed in the Start Menu Eldon but when I click on it I get nothing. Like the application isn't on there. I looked in the app store and just found some info files, but no App to download. I'll go back and look at the thread again. I didn't see the "sample", missed that.

PS I found it, right in front of my face, the Zip attachment. Yes, that does a nice job for "still" shots with no audio. I really want to do a video with audio though. I think I'll explore a little further into the camstudio. There isn't any support for it anymore, so the only thing I can do is try to find folks that use it now. The last posts on a forum for it were like in 2014 or earlier though.

Thank you again Eldon,

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds