Can't connect to User Service Profile and Pipe State is invalid

Discussion in 'Software' started by jenandlaw, Jan 5, 2014.

1. jenandlaw

jenandlaw Private E-2

For a little while, my computer has had intermittent issues with the User Profile Service. I get this message:

"Failed to Connect to a windows service

Windows could not connect to the User Profile Service service. This problem prevents limited users from logging on to the system."

I have tried to research different ways to fix this and either the option doesn't work, or when I try to do it I get the error "The pipe state is invalid." or "the service cannot accept control messages at this time."

I haven't even been able to update Windows in a while. I am able to boot in safe mode with networking.

I've tried creating a new userprofile and logging on with that, but no profile on my system will start the user profile service.

My computer is a Dell Studio 1535 running Windows Vista. Here is the Belarc analysis.

Operating System
    Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2 (build 6002)
    Install Language: English (United States)
    System Locale: English (United States)
    Installed: 8/1/2008 1:15:49 PM
    Boot Mode: BIOS (Secure Boot not supported)

System Model
    Dell Inc. Studio 1535
    System Service Tag: 83511F1 (support for this PC)
    Chassis Serial Number: 83511F1
    Enclosure Type: Portable

Processor a
    2.10 gigahertz Intel Core2 Duo
    64 kilobyte primary memory cache
    3072 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    64-bit ready
    Multi-core (2 total)
    Not hyper-threaded

Main Circuit Board b
    Board: Dell Inc. 0F700C
    Serial Number: .83511F1.CN486438820287.
    Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
    BIOS: Dell Inc. A06 12/04/2008

Drives
    570.03 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    193.58 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-T633A [Optical drive]

SAMSUNG HM320JI [Hard drive] (320.07 GB) -- drive 0, s/n S19FJD0Q511935, rev 2SS00_01, SMART Status: Healthy
    WD 2500BEV External USB Device [Hard drive] (250.06 GB) -- drive 1, s/n WD-WXEY07Y18619

Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) * 309.55 GB 131.72 GB free
    d: (NTFS on drive 0) 10.49 GB 5.38 GB free
    g: (FAT32 on drive 1) 250.00 GB 56.48 GB free

* Operating System is installed on c:

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

According to Black Viper http://www.blackviper.com/windows-services/user-profile-service/
    after clicking the Windows Vista tab, this service depends on Remote Procedure Call and DCOM.

Go into Control Panel, then Admin Tools, then Services and edit any services that are not correct.
    This is the guide to follow
    http://www.blackviper.com/service-c...-vista-service-pack-2-service-configurations/

If you click Show/Hide Columns you will be able to remove all but Home Premium and Safe, if you choose to show Safe.

Double click on the name of the Service and you should be able to edit the service between automatic, manual and disabled. If the service is automatic or manual you can also start or stop the service. Be sure you click apply before you close the box for each service you need to change.

3. jenandlaw

jenandlaw Private E-2

When I try to go into services, I get the error "the pipe state is invalid".

4. plodr

When searching I'm finding that the message can be caused by malware or a bad driver.

Can you run sfc /scannow? If so, did it repair anything?

If you can't run it or it did not change, post a new thread in malware removal titled the pipe state is invalid and include the link to this thread http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=282804
    I'm hoping you can download the MGTools
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407
    then http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=139681
    The thread will be posted here http://forums.majorgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35

5. jenandlaw

jenandlaw Private E-2

I could run sfc /scannow. It said:

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
    Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example c:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

It is attached. The original file was 21MB so I deleted prior days.

Attached Files:

6. plodr

Sorry a CBS log might as well be in Greek because I have no idea what to do with it.

Searching for your error and I found something related to what you posted in your first post
    that might fix that problem.
    Go here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821 and scroll down to the
    Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008 R2 or Windows Server 2008 section.
    I believe but not 100% positive that your Vista SP2 is a 32 bit version because you posted
    To be sure, right click My Computer and select Properties. Under system if 64 bit is not listed, you have a 32 bit OS.

You will download and run the System Readiness Tool for
    x86-based (32-bit) versions of Windows Vista SP2
    the 5th download link.

Run it and then see if you can update Vista SP2.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Maybe someone who understands CBS logs will offer some assistance.

7. rustysavage

rustysavage Sergeant Major

Here's a text file containing the pertinent lines (repaired/can't repair) from the CBSlog.txt

Attached Files:

8. jenandlaw

jenandlaw Private E-2

I tried to run it in Safe Mode and it said it wouldn't run in safe mode. I rebooted and let windows start. It immediately said the host process for windows stopped working. I closed the error window and went to the link you provided. I downloaded the fix, tried to run it, got the error "the pipe state is invalid".

Ugh.

9. plodr

Clarify what "it" is.

So you can download things but can't run them because of errors?
    I ask because there is a chance you have malware. I'd send you to the malware removal section of the forum but you need to be able to run the MGTools and post logs there.

10. jenandlaw

jenandlaw Private E-2

Sorry. "It" is the System Update Readiness Tool at that link.

Yes, I downloaded it and tried to run it, but it won't run in safe mode, and when I tried to run it in .... regular? mode, it won't even start.

11. plodr

Unfortunately, if you can't run anything you download, I can't send you to the malware forum.

Can you go here and run this online scanner for malware? http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/
    Note: if you are using a browser other than Internet Explorer, you do have to download something to the computer that allows the scanner to run. I just used it the other day with Firefox 26 and at the end, you can select uninstall and it does remove itself cleanly.

12. jenandlaw

jenandlaw Private E-2

I actually CAN run things that can run in Safe Mode. I don't want to influence your thinking because you're the doctor, but I really don't think it's Malware. I had found the same references online that this could be a Malware problem, and had run a complete scan with AVG, Malwarebytes, and TDSKiller and nothing was found. This also started very gradually and got worse over time. However, I know a lot of malware scans can be run in Safe Mode, so I could go there if you think I should.

A few years ago, I had problems with my sister's laptop that is the same model and type that we both got at the same time. With hers, I think someone directed me to an online program that I downloaded onto a CD and ran in her computer. It was something like a windows fix disc. Does that sound useful?

13. plodr

Well I ran scans with MS Security Essentials and Malwarebytes on three computers and both declared them free. However, ESET online found things on two of the three computers that's why I suggested running it to triple check.

14. jenandlaw

jenandlaw Private E-2

I'm sorry, I missed you asking me to run Eset earlier. I just ran it and it did find Olmarik.AYI in a 2012 TDSKiller Quarantine. I don't know if that means anything.

15. rustysavage

It would appear that you ran TDSKiller in the past. The program found Olmarik.AYI (trojan), construed it as a threat and therefore isolated it in a quarantine folder. ESET scanner identified that same quarantined file as a threat. However, being in quarantine, the file should be harmless (infected executables typically get renamed and are given a non-executable file extension). The best way to get rid of it is to run TDSKiller again and delete that file from within the TDSKiller program. You could, on the other hand, attempt to search your drives for the a folder named "TDSKiller" and if found, delete the file manually from the quarantine directory. I believe that TDSKiller places a folder in the root directory for use as a quarantine (i.e. C:\TDSKiller)

16. jenandlaw

jenandlaw Private E-2

Ok. Awaiting further instructions...

17. rustysavage

I'm not sure there are any further instructions. We can't solve every problem.

18. plodr

You probably need to do a dirty install of Vista. That means it saves all your files just repairs the Windows Files.
    Unfortunately, I never ran Vista so I have no experience with this.

I found this http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-repair-install-vista.html
    but looking through if you have SP2 installed, it will only work if your Vista DVD also has SP2 on it.

Unfortunately, I'm out of things you can try to fix this.

19. jenandlaw

jenandlaw Private E-2

Thanks, Plodr.

Let me just say before I do this...

Since running sfc /scannow, I have been able to connect to the User Profile Service (and there was much rejoicing). Now, I'm only getting a consistent "Host Process for Windows has stopped".

Does that change your mind any? While you think about it, I'll be trying to find my windows disc.

20. plodr

21. rustysavage

Hark! Art thou a Monty Python fan?

22. jenandlaw

jenandlaw Private E-2

It'd probably be more accurate to say I'm a Holy Grail fan. They got to spend more time on that script than any of the later movies, and it shows.

23. jenandlaw

jenandlaw Private E-2

Ok, Plodr,

Method 2

It could also be caused by an incompatible driver installed on Windows. This could be for any piece of hardware on your system. You can figure out if it’s a hardware issue by booting up in Safe Mode and seeing if you get the error. If it’s not there, then it’s definitely some driver that’s being loaded when Windows starts up.​

So since I don't get this error in Safe Mode, how do I go about determining this is a driver problem and which driver it is? Do I need to paste in copies of the error log?

24. plodr

I don't know. I only update drivers if I have a problem.

Post the question in hardware about ways to determine which driver is causing a problem.
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22
    post a link to this thread so they know what you've gone through so far to arrive at the conclusion that a driver might be the problem.
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=282804&page=2

One of the Geeks here who does update drivers will know way more then I do.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds