Find Junk Files exe...when to delete?

Discussion in 'Software' started by legalsuit, May 2, 2007.

1. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Have a couple of dumb questions...please be patient with me.

I've downloaded "Find Junk Files" exe from MG because I've found disk space getting lower (now 47%) even though I regularly maintain my ThinkPad (laptop). After scan completed for "Find Empty Folders" it showed 543 Empty Folders found.

• Is it safe for me to delete all the empty folders found?

• Would some of those empty folders belong to certain applications and need to remain there - empty?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Manufacturer:
    IBM Intel(R) PentiumĀ® 111
    Mobile CPU, 1133MHz
    732 MHz, 640 MB of RAM

System:
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional V2 SP2

Software regularly used for maintenance:
    • Norton Utilities
    • Ad-Aware SE Personal
    • RegistrySmart
    • Windows Defender
    I also defrag and use performance option to free up space on my hard disk.

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

3. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Thank you Major Attitude for such a prompt response. This is what I've done:

• I Uninstalled "Find Junk Files"

• To check applications, I tried opening Microsoft Office Word first. It opened a blank document and a pop up for Windows Installer appears, then another pop up stating "Installation Error: File not found: A required installation file SKU1CA.CAB could not be found. Original Installation Source Required.

• I can see I still have my Word documents when looking at "My Documents" but I can't open them.:eek

• I then tried SYSTEM RESTORE and even tried different dates/times without success

I think where Microsoft Office Word is concerned, I will need to uninstall it and reinstall it then go from there (unfortunately I don't have the CDs on me as the person who did the MOW installation has them with him...so I've left him a message to contact me ASAP.

Can you think of anything else I should try or just wait until uninstall/reinstall MOW first. (Have to admit, am feeling nervous about trying CCleaner again...perhaps there's an application(s) I have it's conflicting with?)

Cheers

LS

4. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Hi MA,

I'm going to do the uninstall/reinstall of Microsoft Word and will let you know of outcome. So far I haven't been able to troubleshoot it successfully, so I'll see if the above process will fix it.

Cheers

LS

5. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

6. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Strange... I'm not sure if CCleaner caused the Word problem. As stated above, I have also used CCleaner dozens of times and NEVER had a problem with it; even using the registry cleaning function in CCleaner has always proven safe, and reg cleaning is rarely 100% safe..... and, in concurrence with the above posts, I think re-loading Word will fix the problem. Good Luck!

hd2k

7. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Hi HD,

Yes, resolved the problem by uninstall/reinstall of MS Word. Did try some more trouble shooting beforehand and suspect there were some corrupt files causing the problem, so the uninstall of MS Word seemed the only solution followed by a thorough clean up, then reinstallation of MS Word and it worked.

I can only suspect that perhaps my setup just didn't like CCleaner. I ended up uninstalling it.

By copy to BigBazza re:
    Thanks for that Mate!

Cheers

LS

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds