Help customizing PC for under $600?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by godsgift2dagame, Dec 27, 2008.

1. godsgift2dagame

godsgift2dagame Private E-2

Hey guys,
    I've decided to get a new computer for graduation. The deal is I pay half the cost and my family the other. I don't want to go overboard, so I say $600 would be max, with exceptions for extremely valuable deals. Depending on how great the value is, I could extend to maybe a $1000, but that's really about it. I realize it's hard to get a great computer under a $1000, but I will try.

I'd like a computer that I will use for doing written assignments in college as well as being able to run decent entertainment (movies/games). The problem arises that I know nothing about video cards and seem to have trouble differentiating between a nVidia and GeForce card. I was thinking about buying AlienWare (always been one of my goals to get one day) but as I begin to understand PC's better, I see it's not too hot a deal. I used to care a lot about Hard Drive and obsess/clean it daily, but not I could care less. As low as 120 GB works, IMO. I just need a PC that can do the above mentioned things without freezing (which my current one does...often!) and able to run effectively.

So, if anyone can be a darling and "custom" create a PC from any LEGIT site, I'd truly appreciate it! Well, I'm off to go create a few myself.

Before I go...is this non-customizable computer worth it's money?

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...ng=en-US&Sp=C&hierPath=84*4797*29771*&topnav=

2. Speculant

Speculant The Confused One

well, for starters, nvidia is a company that makes video cards. geforce is the name of the video cards that nvidia makes. the best geforce card out right now is the GTX 280, then after that comes the GTX 260. below those are (in order of best to worst) the 9000 series, 8000 series, and the 7000 series. ATI cards i know less about, but a common trait is the higher the number, the more powerful the card. but enough about video cards.

it is very possible to get a great computer for under $1000 nowdays, you can get a resonable gaming computer for under $700 last time i checked. I don't know exactly how a pc parts site can be illegal, but www.newegg.com is a good place to start your search for parts. you can also ocasionally find some good deals on www.tigerdirect.com

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Moved this thread to Hardware from Buy Sell Trade as it will get more views from the hardware techies here.

Cheers
    Admin

4. godsgift2dagame

Thank you very much! You admins here are great!

Sorry, when I mentioned Nvidia and GeForce, I meant to say Nvidia geForce and ATI Radeon.

5. Anon-15281db623

Anon-15281db623 Anonymized

Are you looking for a Desktop or a Laptop? If you want a desktop check out the information below. If you're looking for a laptop, you're going to want to up your budget a bit if you want something that you can game/watch movies on. Processing power, graphics power, and screen resolution will all be key when looking at laptop for playing games and watching movies, especially HD content.

If you want to build it yourself, check out this link.

All these parts can found on Newegg and you'll have a nice gaming PC for around $800. If you want to go less, just downgrade a part here or there and the price will come down.

If you want something pre-built, check out a Dell XPS, I would stay away from Alienware. High prices just for the glam of the name IMO.

6. godsgift2dagame

Yup. I have known about Alienware for years and the parts they offer can be had for 50-75% less on good days...

7. godsgift2dagame

What do you guys think of this one?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/sectors/...34-4947-4746-9534-A02BCC0C7B44&Desc=Expensive v1.0

If I downgrade some parts a bit, I could save about $100-$150 from my estimates.

IF this were my build, how many years would this PC be able to last with the newest games, etc? Would this computer be good 3 years from now? Because to me, $1000 means a lot and it wouldn't be worth it if I have to upgrade every year...

I looked for good reviews for each part and I spent about 1.5 hours creating this package for under $1000. I could also buy a monitor for maybe $75 for a 19-inch screen on eBay...so...any good?

8. Anon-15281db623

Anon-15281db623 Anonymized

That is a smoking PC you have there, and should last you a while. Only thing you are missing is a graphics card, something you will definitely not want to skimp out on if you want it to last 3 years as a gaming machine. Look for a Geforce GTX 280 or a ATI HD 4870. Both are amazing cards and will last you a good while. They come at a price though. Expect to add around another $300 to the configured price you already have.

As for a monitor, I'd go for something windscreen, a minimum of 19in, that has resolution equal to or greater than 1680x1050. Your games will look stunning and with a resolution any less than that, you won't be using your graphics card to its fullest potential.

9. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Jeez that's a sweet system but you're paying premium dollars for a first adopter type system. Since you don't have a monitor or video card in there yet you may want to go down to a Q6600 or so and compatible motherboard and spend those bucks towards a decent monitor(why would you want to skimp on something that you'll be looking at everyday?) and a good video card like as suggested above.

Also if you don't have a 5.1 or 7.1 speaker system then I don't really see the need for a sound card as you already have onboard audio though I can't comment on MSI sound quality.

BTW, are you in Canada as your tiger link came up Canadian. Check ncix.com as I find their prices usually better for parts. Plus they only charge GST outside of BC

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  10. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Good system but no video card. Decent video card about 100-150 more. CPU may be a little overkill depending on what you are going to do. I recently ordered parts for my new pc around 630$ USD but a little more because i already had a hard drive and a sound card. If you want to check my build you can here http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=177885

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds