Improper Ownership Changes

Discussion in 'Software' started by NickiO, Jun 23, 2017.

1. NickiO

NickiO Private E-2

I am ashamed to admit this, but I accidently changed the ownership of the C drive on my laptop. I was actually trying to change a subfolder, but still had the C drive highlighted. I didn't realize what I had done until about halfway thru the LONG list of permission changes. My eyes just suddenly focused on the title of the window that I had changed.
    I can still access the user accounts on the laptop, but can't really do anything once I have access. Start menu doesn't open, right click doesn't work, etc.
    I tried to use restore, but for some reason the laptop won't shut down after using Shift+Restart. The blue screen with the "windows is shutting down" stays on until the external monitor shuts down some15 minutes later and the lights don't go off.
    I have an Asus X501A laptop running Windows 10 (upgraded originally from Windows 7).
    Any help is appreciated!

NickiO

2. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

I suggest you first do a hard reset of your laptop as follows:
    1. Unplug any power adapter from the laptop. Remove ANY devices or card readers or CD/DVDs
    2. Make sure the system is shut down - even if that involves pressing and holding down the power button until the system is completely stopped.
    3. Carefully remove the laptop battery according to the instructions for that model
    4. When removed in 4 above, press the power button and hold it down on the laptop for at least 20-30 seconds to drain all energy.

Now put the battery back in the laptop, attach the power adapter and plug that into the power socket in your home.
    You can now attempt to get in to Windows Safe Mode > Recovery Options and use either System Restore or Last Known good configuration that pre dates those file permission changes.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode
    http://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-10

DavidGP likes this.
  3. NickiO

NickiO Private E-2

Sorry it took so long to reply. I tried for several hours last night after work to get the laptop to boot to safe mode but never succeeded. I finally turned it off and went to bed. This morning I was able to get into my account and use the search function to find Restore and start a it. The first time it didn't finish successfully, so I chose a different restore point and got the same result. An unspecified error in AppProgramDataStaging in %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\AppRepository. Shows error (0x8007005). There is one more restore point I can try, will get back to you with results.

4. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

I just checked your error code (0x8007005) and it's an access denied error that may be modifications caused by a virus or malware. I suggest you go through Read and Run Me First then post a new thread in the Malware Forum.

5. NickiO

NickiO Private E-2

Ha! I had that page up intending to go thru it after I got the laptop up, which still hasn't happened. I run Windows Defender 24/7 and CCleaner once a week,tho. I would be surprised if there is any malware. The ownership change was my doing, I think.

6. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

7. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

8. NickiO

NickiO Private E-2

9. NickiO

NickiO Private E-2

Wasn't able to get back into Safe Mode to do that, but was able to get into the bios and run usb boot for a fresh install

10. NickiO

NickiO Private E-2

Finally able to get a fresh install completed, which resolves the reason for this post. I do have another problem but will start a fresh thread for it. Thanks for the help!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds