Invalid Security Certificates & Palemoon Settings

Discussion in 'Software' started by outdoorgal, Sep 5, 2016.

1. outdoorgal

outdoorgal Sergeant Major

I wanted to go to an RV (recreational vehicle) site this a.m. and get registered but Palemoon gave me the warning. After checking the tech details of the warning, I wondered how bad it is to go into a site that has an expired security certificate? I don't know a thing about them.

Can anyone tell me if I shouldn't go to a site that has the expired SC? Thanks, Denise

PS I only got the message when I clicked on "Register"?? Otherwise I could view the forum etc. with no warning.

warning.PNG

2. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

I tried that site in 4 browsers. Wouldn't open in any of them. I suggest you phone them and ask them to sort their website out.

Eldon and outdoorgal like this.
  3. outdoorgal

Good idea Max, thanks, and I hadn't tried other browsers. I have the irv2 site, but looks like this site I can't get to (found I couldn't login either, or try to see if I'm a member already, lol). I think there's a "contact" email link, not sure, but I'll check that first;) Looking for forums that have a lot about converting a truck into a sleeper/camper. I'm tired of setting up a tent when I go camping;) denise

4. outdoorgal

Hey Max,

did you just get your warning because it says it just expired 9/4, or were you getting the warning before as well??

5. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

I didn't get the security warning. It just kept trying to load until the message 'the server is taking too long to respond'. Happened in Fx, Opera, Chrome, Edge:

"The connection has timed out

The server at www.rv.net is taking too long to respond."

6. outdoorgal

Ok, well, I did write them. Let's see if I get a response;) Meanwhile, I went to irv2 and saw I had a message on there telling me about a neat place to work a seasonal job. I'm retired, but would like to work for the Summers if I found a good place. This one is up in Custer, South Dakota so I'll check it out;) ttyl, denise PS hope they have wifi, lol;)

7. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Good luck with that denise

8. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

9. Anon-469e6fb48c

Anon-469e6fb48c Anonymized

10. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Just tried it again: Firefox, Opera, Chrome, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge - same response: Could not connect to remote server

11. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Loaded fine in Palemoon (26.4), Firefox ESR (45.3.0) and IE 11 on Windows 7 Home Premium.

I get no security warning but I did not attempt to register. So you only see it when you want to register?

Perhaps 2 issues here: Windows 10 certificates not up to date and/or refuses to load for anyone outside of the US? Just guessing why some have no problem and others do.

12. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

13. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

14. satrow

And your DNS servers are?

15. Imandy Mann

ipv4 shows 192.168.0.1

ipv6 shows 2001:4888:24:ff00:223:d::
    25 226

Tell you anything?

16. satrow

Only the internal IP address of your PC ;)

17. Imandy Mann

I recognize the 192....
    This is all that shows for ipconfig or properties in network and sharing.
    Everything for ip and dns is set to automatic.
    The 192 ... goes to my zte 4g device.

18. satrow

Info on DNS settings (based on OpenDNS, which is failing for me still) in the link I gave earlier, MS basics here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15089/windows-change-tcp-ip-settings

From DuckDuckGo:
    Public DNS Servers

19. Imandy Mann

here's ipleak page. Shows my provider. Anywhere close to your question of dns server?

https://ipleak.net/

20. satrow

Nope, useless :)

It shows me my connection details.

21. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

I have tried to access that site again today, using different DNS servers each time, and no joy on any of 5 web browsers and every single time on every single browser it comes up 'connection timed out'.
    Maybe no one outside the USA can actually connect.

22. satrow

Tor connected via NL and DE and connected fine.

23. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

I just successfully got through with Tor but it was still at the edge of timeout.
    But I would expect 95% of people wanting to get to that site wont go through the troubleshooting we have, so in reality the site is not easily accessible at all.

24. satrow

Tor is always going to be slower than using a normal browser with a more direct route, it's the way Tor is designed.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29027725.cfm

Unsure whether the above is related, the Google no, Yahoo yes is confusing.

Traceroute shows I'm getting stuck at xo.net, I've seen that before with that company and a destination in the upper MidWest, last time it was down to a fairly recent server/IP change, where the new server/IP hadn't been fully propagated to all routing servers.

In the meantime, should anyone wish to read recent topics in the RV forum, try a boardreader: http://boardreader.com/linkinfo/rv.NET

Oh, and rv.net is secure and safe now, the new cert. has been installed and the server rates a B on https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest (much better than some of the DoD sites... https://arap.safety.army.mil/).

EDIT: the quote above might have been due to poor timing, Google could have read the server last when it was down while the cert. was being installed and checked.

EDIT#2: a related forum post from a few days ago is suggestive of issues across 3 related fora: http://forums.trailerlife.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29026415.cfm

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  25. Imandy Mann

I figured after I posted that would happen. Should have been a screen shot. The numbers have changed by still same company's assets I figure. DNS.png

26. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds