Java 'Control Panel' Update ???

Discussion in 'Software' started by akm, Oct 27, 2007.

1. akm

akm Sergeant

Running XPpro on new Dell D830 laptop and getting Java 'auto' update message per a monthly scheduled (by who am not sure, maybe me? ) update check.
    Couple questions...
    1. From reading other posts it sounds like I should un-install previous Java software at 'Control Panel / Add or Remove' b4 installing the new update ???
    2. Am not even that familiar with (Sun Microsystems) Java script, but assume it is compatible with XP and should not cause problems ???
    3. Sun also offers 'Download OpenOffice.org for Free' with this update, is that advisable ???

Last edited: Oct 27, 2007
  2. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

download and instal the update and then uninstal the previous version.

download the Windows XP/Vista/200/2003 from this page http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp and you will have no problems
    there is a link to instructions next to the download link

open office is a free alternative to microsoft office, you can download it if you feel that you need it or do not already have microsoft office

3. akm

akm Sergeant

Thanks to all for the replies/info/help !
    Sounds like may be best to un-install current Java 6, Update 2 and then manually install the new version at http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp.
    Already running Office2003 so may wait to try OpenOffice.org.

4. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

I installed update 3 a couple of days ago using the Windows XP/Vista/2000/2003 Offline * filesize: 13.92 MB

the final instal is 111.00 MB (as reported in add or remove programs)

notice there is a large difference between the offline download and the final product.
    I believe this is because the update incorporates the previous version to create the new instal. To do this I would assume the previous version still needs to be installed.

If you have broadband, having to redownload the whole thing is probably no big deal.
    Because I have dial-up I have always updated Java in this manner to reduce the time wasted in downloading what is already there

5. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

I would be interested to know what issues it may cause by installing the update and then uninstalling the previous version if anyone has any knowledge of this. :)

6. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

Yes they are two separate instals, not quite sure why it doesnt clean up after itself - perhaps it is a fallback in case something does go wrong with the update ?

But, I still believe it uses the previous instal plus the new download to create the new instal

ie: copies the files from the previous instal, merges them with the new download thus creating the new instal and leaving the previous instal intact.

With all of the software that I have updated in the past the installer removes the previous version before, during or after the installation process.

7. JustAnotherDude

JustAnotherDude Private E-2

Some simple guidelines re the Sun Microsystems JRE:

Always completely UNinstall any existing Java before installing the new one. For whatever reason, Sun does not have it's act together regarding how the Java components work. If you use the Secunia Software Inspector, it will show you if any old Java components remain.

If you're concerned about *anything* that happens on your system during start-up, download and install the Belarc Advisor. It's free, and it's excellent - the one I've seen so far. Note that it does NOT do any "clean up" work, it ONLY REPORTS - and it reports a lot! Based on the report, you can find and remove most anything you want or need to remove. A secondary tool, if you can't locate *where* something starts, legitimate or otherwise, that loads at start-up, is "SilentRunners", another free (and excellent) tool.

Sorry for that sidetrack, but I saw a comment in this thread about start-up stuff, so tossed in my 2.4 pennies worth.

Back to the JRE: if you browse the Sun Microsystems employees blogs, you'll find that they all warn you to be SURE to remove ALL old Java components before doing a "update", because even though the update may patch one or more security issue, your system is STILL VULNERABLE unless/until you remove the old components.
    It's difficult to find all that stuff sometimes, but there's a page at stevethornburg.com that posts a lot about it, and has links.

Safe Sufrin', dudes and dudettes!

8. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

While I am not saying that is incorrect, could you explain to me how a
    13.92MB Download can become a 111.00MB instal while I am not connected to the internet ?

I havent tried their online installer, but I assumed it starts the process and then continues to download what it needs to finish the process from their website.

9. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

i just did a test

uninstalled java, restarted, ran ccleaner, restarted, installed java from the 'offline installer'

and it worked, you are 100% correct (sure you already knew that :))

I didnt realise they compressed it quite that much

strange thing is my new instal is 134.00MB, the previous one was 111.00MB
    both were installed using default settings and with no google toolbar or desktop. :confused

Now i cannot get to http://forums.majorgeeks.com/ (which has the java chatbox) with ie or firefox, but I can with opera :confused

It may not be related to uninstalling java before installing the update, but i think in future i will update and then uninstal the previous the version

10. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

winpatrol takes care of the updater for me. :)

I would have thought that ccleaner would clean up any traces left of the previous java instal, but next time I go off-line I will follow your advice and repeat the process and do a manual check as well :)

Billmcc66 has sorted out my access problem to http://forums.majorgeeks.com/index.php
    in this thread http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=142069

As far as I know and as you mentioned, leaving the previous version of java installed is (only ;)) a security vulnerability and is unlikely to cause conflicts.

As I have had no problems in the past 'doing it my way', I will keep on doing it that way in the future. The main thing is that I still uninstal the previous version so should have no security concerns.

11. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

Just reinstalled java

Uninstalled via 'add or remove programs'

restarted - ccleaner (cleaner-windows,cleaner-applications,Issues-all)

restarted - deleted sun folder in 'application data' (contained 11 files = 48kb) - no other traces found

restarted - ccleaner (cleaner-windows,cleaner-applications,Issues-all)

restarted - installed 'Windows XP/Vista/2000/2003 Offline * filesize: 13.92 MB'

End result = exactly the same, instal is 134.00MB

12. JustAnotherDude

JustAnotherDude Private E-2

Re: Size of JRE installation

The size you see reported in the add/remove programs varies because of how the information is reported. The JRE hooks in to a lot of existing stuff on your system. So while one person's machine shows 111MB, and another shows 134MB (and mine shows 168MB), the "real" JRE is not that much.

If you have only 1 browser, the number will be lower. If you have two or more browsers installed, the number will be higher. Similaryl, other applications that rely on the JRE, such as JAlbum (depending on which version you have installed), will cause the reported number for the JRE installation size to be different.

On this machine, running XP with MSIE, Firefox and Opera installed, it shows 168 MB. On the machine right next to me, running same XP but w/ only MSIE, it shows 114MB.

I hope that info is helpful.

13. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

Yes it is helpful - thankyou

as long as it works I'm not worried anyway :)

I guess my instal now reports as being larger due to me updating firefox and opera

already had ie7, opera and firefox installed when it was reporting 111.00MB

14. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Got a system with Win XP Pro SP2, IE7 and Firefox 2.0.0.8; my Add or Remove Programs panel shows Java(TM) 6 Update 3 at 133MB. I also have a Notebook PC running Vista and IE7; it also shows Java(TM) 6 Update 3 at 133MB.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds