lcd refresh rate

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by radical rick, Aug 6, 2005.

1. radical rick

radical rick Private E-2

I am going to buy an Lcd monitor. I have found good reviews on a hyundai 19" at new egg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824179014 after reading about it I noticed it is capable of 1280x1024@75hz which is what I run my 19" crt @. But the manufacturer recomends running it at 60hz. When I run my crt @60hz I get eye strain from it being the same frequency as the light bulbs. Is this also the case with Lcd monitors and am I going to have a problem if I run the monitor @75 all the time http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824179014

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

I'd go to your local computer store and try changing the hz on a machine there. That way you'll know for a fact if LCDs would cause your eyes some sore of strain.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

LCDs are flicker free and even at 60hz will not give you eye strain, I have used LCDs for near 5yrs and dont suffer from eye strain.

4. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Its strange when buying an lcd you look at the response time of the screen,hopefully around 8-12ms,thats how fast it can refresh the pixels,on a crt which has a response time of of less than 0.5 sec that 60hz can been seen by the naked eye,but in terms of an lcd with its much slower response time the pixels on the screen cannot refresh themselves fast enough for you to see it,to you the screen looks perminantly on.

The effect is similar to a lightbulb,although the power switches itself 50 times a second "50hz" in an ac circuit the bulb looks perminantly on,because the fillament cannot cool down in time,it has a slow response time.

neon bulbs have a much faster response,thats why some people"me" can see the 50hz flicker and it gives them a headache.

The power company need to turn up thier refresh rate.lol :D

5. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

Heh. In the US power frequency is 60 Hz. Go US! One of our standards that nobody else uses actually benefits us! Woo hoo!

Yeah, LCDs don't need a refresh rate over 60Hz. The entire screen refreshes simultaneously. It's not like you're waiting for an electron beam to scan across the back of the mesh in a CRT.

6. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

" I have found good reviews"

I hope you're not going to buy soley on the reviews at new egg ... because if you post a bad review there, they delete it .. thus I don't buy from new egg

"60hz can been seen by the naked eye"

My monitors refresh rate is 60Hz and I can't see it flickering. I've heard this before and I've looked and I've stared and squinted yet I see no flicker

7. Rikky

I can see a flicker at 75 hz,no one else in my family can see it,also neon bulbs to me look like strobe lights "slight exagerration",but when they stare at the screen they say it hurts thier eyes after awhile,I cant even look at it

Is your monitor an lcd or crt pyrate?

Da chicken,yeh yours is also 110v,alot less likely to kill you [​IMG]

8. radical rick

radical rick Private E-2

Well thanks for all the info. I just have normal( getting older) eyesight so I guess I wont be able to see the flicker in an lcd. I will take your advice and go down to best buy and check them out. Pyrate thats about the 1st bad thing I've heard about new egg. Iv've always had good luck there. I'll try too look around for another site that reveiws monitors. any suggestions???

9. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

www.pricegrabbers.com
    http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/20050606/index.html

might also google LCD review or something like that

rikki .. the computer I'm using now is a 15" compaq MV540 ... so it's not exactly top of the line ... I can run 85Hz @ 800x600 but I can't see anything then cause of the res ..course my computer in my sig has a much better monitor... honestly, I don't know what to look for as far as flicker goes, my Viewsonics picture is much clearer and brighter and the color is much better, that I notice .. when i switch my compaq to 800x600@85Hz the color is much better than it is at 1024x768@60Hz .. but no blinking

10. Rikky

No I dont mean cursor trails,I mean the whole screen flickering"like its vibrating very fast" at anything less than 85hz on a crt :confused:

11. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

The flicker effect is more notacable on smaller screen my freind has a 21" screen and i cant see any flicker at 60Hz every 15" iv seen at 60Hz is just painfull [​IMG]....So the refresh rate setting doesent effect LCDs at all ??

12. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

All of the chat about CRTs can be confusing the issue of the original post about LCDs and flicker!

radical rick, the idea of going to see them at your local shop is a great idea as you will be able to see which screen suits you, personally I like Samsung LCDs, the 930b is a goodun, with a 8ms refresh rate.

as for flicker, you wont see any on an LCD and setting the refresh rate to anything above 60hz for me at least I have never seen any difference, have 2 at home and work on LCDs in work and all are set to 60hz ( played with 75hz but never noticed as I said any difference )

13. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

I have a Hyundai Image Quest L70S LCD that is at 60hz, and i've never seen any kind of flickering, or anything...and I spend hours at a time, day after day, in front of mine and I don't ever recall thinking..."oh my god I got to get away from this thing"!!!!

As far as shopping for one...I always use Tiger Direct , because they have a store right down the road from me, and they do have some pretty competitive pricing!!!!

Roger

14. radical rick

radical rick Private E-2

thanx, all of this has been helpful. someone posted a reveiw of 19' lcd's from firing squad in another post. so I'll read that and head to best buy for a look.

15. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

I dont know if it's true, But I heard/read somewhere that Hyundai L90d+ LCD's uses Samsung LCD screens, same one that is used in the Samsung Syncmaster 930B???
    I just picked one up today, "A Samsung 930B " At the moment I'm running 1024x768 & 75hz
    On my 21" Trinitron crt I'm at 1024x 768, 100hz

Either brand LCD, mine or yours can run at 1280x1024, 60/70/72 or 75hz without problem, they are by the way, Factory Preset Modes:
    http://www.hyundaiq.com/pro_spec_l90d+.asp

Relax, dont worry, ya got a 3 yr warranty.

Hey Ricky I tryed to return your last PM ya, but your Full.

16. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Yes I agree, Rikky is full of it. :)

17. Rikky

[​IMG]i actually started planning my trip [​IMG]to aus to pay you a visit before I read asus's post[​IMG]LOL :D ,lol Sorry asus,I'v cleaned it out anyways

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds