Let the sparks fly!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fred_G, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I have an extra Antec case, and saw some awesome cable management picts on another site, and said screw it, I can do that! :-D

Mod is in progress.

Attached Files:

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Looks like an interesting project Fred, its a thing of mine in trying to keep cables tidy, generally spend hours when builing a PC to route the cables well.

So looking forward to your continued mods on this case.

3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I also have a bottom PSU and the only cable that bugs me is the 12V EATX that you see going to the top. One would think that quality PSU makers could give one a few extra inches of cable. rolleyes

All in all, I like my CoolerMaster 690 case, as you can see they included cable ties inbetween the mobo and the drive cages for a very neat cable arrangement. Oh, ignore the mess on the bottom.:-D

Attached Files:

4. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Ahh, Augie, I love you like a brother, but you are only worried about one of those cables? :-D

I did a little smoothing out on the cuts, but Borg #2 was down, had to revive it, and it turns out my new 9800GT GPU is junk! The nice folks at TigerDirect (in Florida!) hooked me up with an RMA, no restock fee, and I ordered a XFX card from them.

Thanks Halo. This is my first real attempt at it. Sure, I have shoved wires off into an empty bay, but this is going to be a complete job. (I hope) Power and reset wires and evrything. We shall see if I can pull it off.

Heck I have had a lot of fun making sparks with the Dremel tool. :-D

5. augiedoggie

Hehe Eric,:p I'm debating whether to put them all ziptied in the 5 1/4" bay or just cut the suckers off. There's not much that I could add there, sticks of RAM don't need extra power, only real upgrade would be adding an optical and/or some HDD's, perhaps a TV tuner or sound card if they would fit on top or bottom, that's all the PCI slots I have left, and I would doubt they need extra power.

I've been lucky on my builds, I haven't needed to RMA anything yet. *knocks on wood*. :)

6. DavidGP

LMAO me too on shoving loose cables into a spare empty 3 1/2 in bay!

Try as much as possible to route the cables around the back of the case behind mobo as my coolermaster case is one in which mobo is on a sliding tray, so space behind it.

Did this time buy a Zalman PSU with modular cables, so only need to plug in whats needed, so reduces the amount of cables hanging out back of PSU.

Some pics of last build 2yrs ago, just work in progress ones and now floppy has been removed so no floppy ribbon to get in the way.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  7. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Looks good Halo. I am cutting holes in the motherboard area of the case so I can run the cables on the other side of the case. I should have some progress and some more picts Sunday. Have to buy a new dremmel bit to smoothe out the cuts.

8. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Fred I got the drill and angle grinder out:-D Routed them all around the back by making a hole at the top near the PSU.

Turned out pretty tidy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Anon-15281db623

Anon-15281db623 Anonymized

I'd love to do something like that to my case but my Antec Solo is just too nice looking! I wouldn't want to cut something too deep or the wrong way and mess it up! :-D

10. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Come on Overcooked... real geeks have powered rotary tools! I will try to get an updated picture. I have run into a couple of snags, I will have to enlarge one hole. OC, the way I am doing the cuts, you will never see them with the side of the case on.

It is nice to have an extra case so I am not rushed. I think that has messed me up in the past, trying to get everything running, I would skip wire management.

11. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Hmm, my laptop is not working well with USB devices for some reason, had to use another computer. I have a picture of the outside and inside of the case. The 2 black wires on the inside are the sound/USB front plug wires, not sure what I will do with them.

Attached Files:

12. augiedoggie

Ya, I know I do that, just git 'er done man!:-D I doubt I could ever get things as nice as Rikky's rig is, but that's a goal I can strive for. Oh, drilling holes etc. bugs me a bit, don't want some stray bits of metal frying my machine, too much money to replace it.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  13. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

It is done. I am very proud of this. If you have any ideas on how to make it better, let me know. I hate that the aux power has to cross the mobo, not enough slack to run it behind like I planned.

:-D

Attached Files:

14. augiedoggie

Very, very nice Fred! One can't get much better than that, if at all. LOL, darn nice before and after shots, is that really the same computer?:-D

15. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Same puter in another Antec 300 case. Now I have another case to mod! :-D

I have learned to take my time, and get it right, not just get it up and folding.

but then again, much can be said for folding...

16. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

17. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

This has been ordered to replace the tape http://www.mnpctech.com/UChannel.html That site is owned by a guy in another forum I go to. Great guy, if you need modding supplies check him out. I think I have an extension laying around. will have to look.

And Thanks for the complements! I am starting to get more into modding a bit, and cables have always been my weakness.

18. DavidGP

Fred that looks superb, neat and tidy.... great JOB! :)

19. augiedoggie

Hmm, I just got an idea by looking at Fred's rig again, was to flip my PSU around so that all the wires are next to the back panel. I'm not really sure why I installed the PSU that way in the first place, maybe because the labels were right side up as there's no fan on the bottom? :confused :-D

I can't justify investing in a dremel just for modding the case but at least all the spare cables will be on the same side and tucked up in the optical bay. That's easy enough to do and I'll post a pic when I'm done.:)

I might have to drill new holes in the case as looking at the holes in the PSU, they are not symmetrically spaced. I think I can handle that.

20. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Augie, that is one of the many nice touches on the Antec 300 case. It has screw holes to mount the PSU either way. It is even raised up so it you have a fan on the bottom, it will still get good airflow.

I got my Dremel several years ago at a pawn shop for $15. Sometimes you can find good deals on tools.

21. fxman

fxman Private First Class

Looks really good! Thats what I did to my computer and my Son's back in 05' It is well worth the time and effort!
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=82174

22. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Excellent job there fxman! I am glad to be able to actually post a pict and mention wire management in the same thread! :-D

23. fxman

fxman Private First Class

Thank you! Theirs nothing like a case free from wiring! ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds