Locked Out Of Windows - Auto Repair Loop And No Admin Account

Discussion in 'Software' started by Lucas Almeida, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Lucas Almeida

Lucas Almeida Private E-2

Hello, community

Well... I have a desktop running Windows 10 x64. Yesterday I was copying some files from a folder to another. (no other software open). To have no problems, I did something I've been doing since I installed Windows 10: I'd go to the task manager, close the "explorer.exe" and would open it again as administrator, so I wouldn't have to confirm each folder I'd enter on another drive.
    But what happened this time is that the explorer wouldn't open, leaving only the black screen and the cursor.

So I rebooted and then windows entered automatic repair mode. When trying to use any options, it said there are no admin accounts on windows (although there are three).

A few things I tried:
    *System recovery from windows boot cd (there is only one system recovery point, and it couldn't complete the recovery, presented an error)
    *Automatic recovery from boot cd
    *Using Windows boot disk to enter command prompt to allow the hidden administrator account (which worked, but windows still don't recognize it, or don't see it, I'm not sure which)
    *Chkdsk on system drive
    *Used Hiren's Boot CD to reset password in my account and created a new Admin one
    *Tried overwriting "utilman.exe" with "cmd.exe" in order to use command prompt in Windows instead of boot disc so commands there would take effect (I'm guessing many cmd commands won't work from the Windows Boot Disk command prompt)
    *MBR fix, boot fix, bcr rebuild

What I can't do:
    *Boot in safe mode (I can't login)
    *Use any repair option in system recovery options because it says there are no admin accounts on the pc (so, no command prompt, no system recovery, no automatic repair). I already done all three from the Windows boot media, and none worked

What are my problems:
    *Windows says there are no admin accounts on the PC
    *Infinite automatic repair loop (doesn't log into Windows)

I used Ubuntu live disk verify the files in the drive and there are no missing or damaged files, so I'm guessing a Register problem?

I really, really don't wanna format and reinstall Windows. It's not only my personal files, but my software which will be very hard to install everything again (I had tons of software... all trusted, no malware here).

Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks for any attention and even more for possible cooperation with this request.
    Best regards,
    Lucas Almeida

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I had a similar problem -same setup as you, when attempting to reduce the size of my partition, and had to reinstall. I got over the program problem, by l looking back in my e-mails for that software , from when I either purchased/updated, or, freeware details, typing its name in the search button. I also went to the sites of the software, and some of them did keep a copy of the keys (iobit, and serif ,I seem to remember were two that did.
    Getting your files, and other stuff - I used another hard drive, with windows 10 installed ,in my laptop, and a caddy with the original .
    MBR and GPT are different , and it can take more to access GPT . Mine is, as yours x64 and GPT.
    My mistake was in how, and where I tried to create the extra partition.
    Good luck.

3. Anon-469e6fb48c

Anon-469e6fb48c Anonymized

Are you able to log into the Safe mode section of windows ten???

If so try these options.I see that you are all ready did a Chkdsk.

I would all so run a virus and malware scans in the safe mode section.Just in case there are virus or malware infecting your system.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/index....ide-incl-spyware-virus-trojan-hijacker.35407/

Make sure when you use command prompt right click on it and give it administrator privileges other wise it will be use less.

And after the scans are done run a SFC /Scannow in command prompt or cmd.If there are any errors let us know.You might have to run this a couple of times if there are errors.

And after that one do a check disk scan you might all so have errors on the hard drive.

Command prompt Type chkdsk /f than it will ask a question hit Y for yes and reboot than let it do it's thing.

Make sure you use the administrator privileges each time you open up command prompt saves time.

4. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

5. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

You will need to use the windows 10 disc, or, usb that you have to get into command prompt , if you cannot get to windows.
    From -Windows 10 installation DVD or USB, . When you see Windows Setup, press the Shift + F10 keys. When you see Windows Setup, choose on Next.
    Choose- Repair your computer--Choose- Advanced options. Choose Troubleshoot option – choose advanced options - In advanced options, choose command prompt -
    Commands are
    bootrec /fixmbr

bootrec /fixboot

bootrec /scanos

bootrec /rebuildbcd
    My apologies, I was trying to give my help, hours ago, but my internet went down- hopefully all ok, now.
    I hope this helps

satrow and dr.moriarty like this.
  6. Lucas Almeida

Lucas Almeida Private E-2

Hello to you all,

Thank you all very much for the attention to this issue and help provided.

Regarding the suggestions to enter safe mode and repair Windows from there, it wasn't possible to enter safe mode because I couldn't pass the Automatic Repair screen (as soon as booting up Windows, it would go straight to the advanced troubleshooting options, not to the login screen or anything, and no troubleshooting option would work as Windows stated there wasn't an admin account on Windows)

backlogic, thank you for your suggestions. I used the Windows 10 installation disk as a recovery disk and used command promp from there, and with it I tried the options you suggested, as well as tried enabling the hidden admin account and registry recovery, none of that worked.

I've since given up and backed up what I could. I will reinstall Windows, and, hopefully, in a week or two, reinstall most of my software u_u

Thank you all very much for the help and attention to this issue. This topic may now be considered solved and closed.

Best regards,

7. Anon-469e6fb48c

Anon-469e6fb48c Anonymized

Make sure when you reinstall create a restore and backup of the fresh install.Be for the windows 10 anniversary update hit's.This will take up a lot of space around 16 gigs or so.So you might get Bug issues.

8. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Lucas, - I thought you might get lucky with that, but, I find Windows 10 seems to react more than previous versions, when it goes AWOL - The recovery has caught me a few times, when not working - I tended to use HyperOs, in the past, so that I have copies of Windows , that I can boot to. In this way, I always get back ,instead of all that updating, and reinstalling. I got overconfident, and did not update my older version to take in windows 10, I have decided to get the latest copy, to save me when I get silly, again. It is not cheap, but it is a good tool. I have referred to it in older Majorgeeks forum's, but have not been on line 'trying to help' for some time - If you are interested, just read up-
    http://www.hyperossystems.co.uk/07042003/incremental-autobackup-software.htm#hyperos2006
    I have made copies of my Windows 10, on separate hard drives, so if push comes to shove, I just change my hard drive, but I do rather like to fight windows, and get a great feeling when , occasionally, I win. Part of the ' fun', when you get caught out.
    Annoying , when you need the computer/laptop, or the information on it -
    Closing as you say solved, but unfortunately, the hard way.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds