Need help in choosing software!

Discussion in 'Software' started by ownthree, Feb 11, 2015.

1. ownthree

ownthree Corporal

I'm a part-time secretary for a surgeon. To make billing and scheduling easier, I suggested that we use cloud based apps. My boss said she'll consider it once I've made a proposal. I've done loads of research and I've finally narrowed my search to just two. I'm really having a hard time deciding so please help me out.

I'm choosing between this one from HealthFusion and this one from NueMD. My boss already uses the EHR system by HealthFusion. NueMD on the other hand has lots of good reviews online. Given these factors, which one do you think would most likely get her approval?

Suggestions, feedback, additional info are all welcome. Thank you.

2. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

ownthree...

Hopefully, someone familiar with the software will come along, as I am not. However, I have a couple of things you might want to look into or think through:

1. Have you looked into support for the programs?
    2. Is there a trial version of the softwares, so you can familiarize yourself with the differences?

If you can document that support is better for one of the programs than the other, that would I am sure go over well with your boss. Is one more supported with video demos and instructionals on YouTube? Are there downloadable .pdf instruction manuals for using the software? How helpful is each program's help section?

Also, documenting samplings of the reviews could be very beneficial with your boss for making your case. For example, if the rarer problems associated with one of the softwares are perhaps extreme, that could be a major concern. What comes to my mind is lost data or difficulty backing up data...this kind of thing. At any rate, I think documenting the reviews that best support your conclusion about which is best would be very beneficial.

One thing you might look for is support forums. Taking a look around could bring some knowledge as to the problems users are having with the software. Looking over a forum and the activity there might give you some indication of what challenges to expect from using the software. Mention of security problems would be a big red flag I should think.

If you have Excel, perhaps you could make a small table and rate the systems (based on available information) over a number of categories and then present that to your boss. Here are some cats that I am thinking of right off the top of my head:

Reviews
    Help
    Online Instructionals
    Security
    Data Backup
    Ease of Use
    Program Reliability
    Ease of Initial Setup

Hope this helps some. I don't know anything about the softwares...:-o

3. ownthree

ownthree Corporal

Wow. I really appreciate your helping me out. Thank you!

I've decided for now that we use the one by HealthFusion since we already use it. There should be some benefit since it's made to go together with their EHR. Don't you think so?

Also, I believe she mentioned once how she liked how this company was quick to reply to our concerns. That's what you meant right? I did check out if they have a trial or demo and they do! So I'm going to go with this one first.Wish me luck!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2015
  4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

I would always suggest going with software you are already using if it performs the tasks you need already, as you will be accustomed to its performance, HealthFusion I have not used and TBH while I work in healthcare my area is research so I don't deal with the software our secretaries or admins use, we use Medisoft and iPM if memory serves.

If HealthFusion integrates with EHR then that's a plus and yes if a company replies to support and help questions quickly then that's a huge PLUS!

Looking at the software the billing coding pages look really simple to use, and that is also a huge plus as working in medical practice is always busy so you need something simple and quick to use.

Do let us know how you get on with the software.

5. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

ownthree...

Those sound like solid reasonings for your recommendation. YW and good luck with the software...

6. ownthree

ownthree Corporal

Thanks again. I might post some more details if needed. Just in case someone might find it useful.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds