1. gavincdavies

gavincdavies Private E-2

My PC is infected with the ramnit.c virus. I have read that combofix may be able to fix the problem but I also know that this should only be run under the supervision of a trained user. Is there anyone who could advise if I should run this and also run me through the process - I understand I should post the log report after it's run. Can anyone help? Thanks.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

You need to do an online Eset scan. Run it once, save the log and reboot. Then run it again, save the log and reboot. Then do it a third time, save the log and attach all three to your next post.

eSet Online Scan.

3. gavincdavies

gavincdavies Private E-2

Thanks for the help. One thing before I run this program - I have about 90% of my files backed up but I don't want to try to back up the other 10% in case I infect my external drive - is there any risk of losing any files if I run this?

Cheers

4. TimW

No, you shouldn't lose files. But it really all depends on how bad the infection is. I won't know that until I see the logs.

5. gavincdavies

gavincdavies Private E-2

Thanks Tim - sorry about this but one last question before I do this. I know that one of the nasty things this ramnit.c can do is try and download loads of other malware and viruses (I'm working on a mac at the moment). My anti-virus (CA) will be on and the firewall too - do you think it will be relatively safe to connect to the internet to download Eset? I expect it's a catch 22 situation and I have no choice!!

Cheers

6. TimW

Eset is an online scan, no downloading to do. At this point, you have little choice. This is our normal warning about these infections:

7. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

Actually it does have to download some pieces of software inorder to run the scan.

I have to comment on the statement that 90% of your files are backed up! When were these backed up. If you backed up after this infection occurred, you most likely already infected your external drive. Unless when you stated 90% of your files you meant only your own personal data and you were not just referring to your whole PC. Ramnit can infect ALL exectuables ( and this includes as you will see ) HTML files. Every program that you have ever downloaded ( the installer files and the installed programs ) may now already be infected. This includes your CA Antivirus which is most likely infected too.

8. gavincdavies

gavincdavies Private E-2

Hi Tim

I've been using a Mac for the last few months and finally got round to sorting out this Ramnit problem on my PC. I have run several scans/malware removal tools including tdss killer, microsoft windows malicious software removal tool and malwarebytes. The misrosoft tool seemed to do a good job and removed alureon.a and ramnit.gen!a. Ramnit.d was partially removed and then seems to have been fully removed after the other scans. ramnit.c was actually not detected - I think an earlier scan using malwarebytes (run in a local computer shop) removed it. My PC is certainly running faster and now runs at 3% instead of 100% on the CPU. The floppy drive has also stopped constantly switching on and off which it started to do after I got the infection. I ran the eset scan 3 times as you instructed and as you will see from the attached logs the first log removed 5 infected files (not ramnit) but was 'unable to clean' 21 files infected with ramnit.a. I'm not sure if this is because these have been quaranteened by one of the other removal tools. Please could you advise what the next step should be. Thanks.

Gavin

SCAN 1

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2011

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds