Scanguard

Discussion in 'Software' started by Skysarge, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

Anyone familiar with this program?

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

3. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

I'd follow the advice on the Ask Bob Rankin site. DON'T install or use ScanGuard.

4. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

^ +1, also disregard anything you read on a 'top10anything' -type site, a high proportion of them are only setup to gain affiliate payouts from distorting facts/pushing the profitable (frequently over hyped and promoted via spamming) software.

5. StruldBrug

StruldBrug Sergeant

6. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

Scanguard came recommended from a company doing business as Support by Techies, a "part of MS" that cleans,optimizes, tunes, safeguards etc etc your computer. Some months ago I bought from Techies what I understood was their program that does this. Just after that my computer crashed, and was replaced. In all of that I forgot about Support by Techies until I got a phone call from them. My computer alerted them that suspicious activity was taking place in my system, and as part of the package I had purchased some months ago, they wanted to scan my computer and fix what they said was hackers accessing or trying to access my data. They provided me with a fairly extensive "verbal" accounting of what the alert was telling them. I lost track of all they allegedly found.
    I was about ready to go ahead when I realized I did not have any program of theirs to do this.
    Short version...they wanted another fee to perform this scan, and they would do this scan by my allowing them remote access to my system.
    I am woefully inept with computers, but the need to pay another fee as well as this necessary remote set off bells in my cobwebbed brain. And exactly how did my computer alert them. I had been hooked and rooked.
    I surfed and found an FTC piece listing this as a scam and all that goes with it. The phone # TEC gave me is their technical line, that do not handle financial matters. CC company says been to long for refund through them.
    P.T. Barnum was right.

7. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Skysarge, at this point you should have a look at Task Scheduler & Services for anything relating to this 'company'.

8. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

That group of 'techies' are nothing but scammers, definitely not part of MS, just scammers.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds