Screw Type

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by durkinjt, Nov 10, 2016.

1. durkinjt

durkinjt Corporal

I am trying to take the front panel out of my Lenovo Ideacentre K450, that stores the Front USB's and Sd/Sh memory card holders, what type of screwdriver is required to get it out, the ones with no phillips head or standard screwdriver head, they look like rivets, never had to deal with this type screw and need some help. T.I.A.

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Many towers use a push in/out clip system, either by pushing directly on the end of each clip from the inside, or by (carefully) easing off the base of the front panel and working upwards. Get a lamp/headlight and take a look around - with the PC turned off, of course.

durkinjt likes this.
  3. durkinjt

durkinjt Corporal

Thanks these are in solid cannot just push/pull in.

4. satrow

Try reading the Repair manual, it should be available from the Lenovo support site.

5. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

6. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Can you remove the front bezel and post pictures?

7. satrow

He doesn't appear to like us anymore.

durkinjt likes this.
  8. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Yeah, he appears to have gotten his answer elsewhere. But, ya know, they're free to get answers wherever they find them whether it's here or elsewhere.

9. satrow

It's not even clear that he's got the correct answer there.

But shotgun posting is usually discouraged, it wastes time of many helpers, some of which, myself included, get pretty miffed when certain users do this out of habit and bump into several on the same day. He posted both topics (I haven't checked for others but some people x-post across a dozen or more sites, repeatedly, often leading to bans or helpers simply end up ignoring them) inside 2 minutes.

Had he not got a reply within a day or so here (or there), it wouldn't be a problem.

Okay, I just had a quick look around:
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/631941/screw-type/
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/threads/screw-type.763911/

There may be more, he might be a serial x-poster, whatever, it's poor form not to return and acknowledge that he's found the answer elsewhere or to mention/link that he's asking elsewhere as well. That's 3 out of 4 fora that I'm a member of and I'm pretty sure we have other members here that also participate in at least one of those other sites.

Eldon and Imandy Mann like this.
  10. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

satrow likes this.
  11. mdonah

I've gone to one of the other sites you linked to satrow, but haven't posted there. I wasn't aware that some people were so darn impatient about getting their answers (and were too lazy to read through service manuals).

Eldon and satrow like this.
  12. durkinjt

durkinjt Corporal

Thanks read several manuals , could not find it anywhere
    Sorry I was taken ill for a few days, and have yet to figure out how to get it out, None of the manuals deal with removing the front Usb panel, I believe though the screws are Turx screws ordered a screwdriver set from Amazon, hope they fit, sorry for the delay and thanks for all the kind help.

13. mdonah

@ durkinjt,

One of the other forums you posted this exact thread to also states that they are rivets and would require a drill. I don't know how you would re-rivet them then. The screw type is Torx (pronounced tor-ex) not Turx.

Be that as it may, the forums, apparently, frown upon cross-posting. Be careful you don't get banned.

satrow likes this.
  14. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

If rivets - say an 1/8 inch rivet then an 1/8 drill bit taken to the middle of the head will hollow out the rivet so it can be removed. Then it can be replaced with a new 1/8 inch rivet. 1/8 inch rivet gun is the most common. The hole left when removed will also accept a No. 8 or No. 10 screw. Anything smaller is going to be hard to find replacement rivets , so would be needing maybe a N0. 6 screw. Pancake head screws will fit flush to allow fitting into ( if) it's a tight space.

15. Eldon

This is a different to removing the front panel or bezel. In all probability the 'panel' containing the USB ports, memory card reader, etc. has been fixed with rivets.
    A picture would help. Also, tell us why you need to remove it. Someone might have a better solution.

16. durkinjt

durkinjt Corporal

Just out if curiosity why is it frowned upon to go to more then one message board for help? Nothing is being hurt and getting help from numerous sources was a way of life when I was a cop, I'm fine with not doing it if someone would explain the problem it is causing?

17. satrow

Read #9 again?

18. durkinjt

durkinjt Corporal

Not being sarcastic, but I don't think I can read # 9 again as I have no idea what it is.

19. durkinjt

durkinjt Corporal

Thanks. The connection on the motherboard came loose, tried but cannot get it to work. It is riveted.

20. satrow

It contains a link to post #9 in this topic, I'll repeat the pertinent parts, just for you:

Eldon and mdonah like this.
  21. mdonah

Thanks satrow.

There was another thread x-posted by someone else. I cautioned them as well.

satrow likes this.
  22. Eldon

Simply because multiple members are trying to help you at the same time. Those members use their data, time & knowledge for which they are not being paid (you were paid as a cop). And more often than not, those members are not being informed whether a solution was found and what the solution was.

Edit: satrow & mdonah are knowledgable members of MajorGeeks who will stay with you until a solution to your problem has been found.
    Remember that. ;)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
    mdonah likes this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds