Spybot S&D 1.5

Discussion in 'Software' started by darco, Oct 16, 2007.

1. darco

darco Private E-2

This is a snippet from the Malware Removal Guide and was curious if these steps still need to be followed w/Spybot 1.5

SpyBot - Search & Destroy

* PLEASE leave all settings at default except Teatimer (make sure you uncheck the option during installation)!! I repeat, Do not use the Teatimer function. It can be a resource hog and also makes removal of certain problems more difficult. Make sure you leave the SDhelper ( IE bad download blocker) checked to install (this is the default).

* Fixing SpyBot's Ignore Products Bug: Please run SpyBot and get into the Advanced mode by selecting Mode and then Advanced mode. Then select Settings and the in the left column select Ignore Products. In the right window pane make sure the All products tab is selected. Then in that window, right click your mouse and choose "Deselect all". Now exit Spybot. We will run a scan later.
    thxs
    darco

2. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

I've been using Spybot S&D 1.5 for over 2 months, now. :cool
    I also run TeaTimer live on my laptop. No problems with either. ;)

The Malware instructions could hark back to the early days of Spybot and TeaTimer, when there certainly was problems.
    I remember well, experimenting with different versions and reporting back to MG.

But I'd ask Chas in the Malware Forum, if I was you.
    He is the Guru and I would certainly bow to his opinion. :major Bazza

PS: A couple of thumbnails about the latest version. :) Baz

Attached Files:

3. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

4. darco

darco Private E-2

So its not a resource hog then? If not, possibly when running the steps to eliminate malware then I should disable tea timer so it doesnt interfere in Malware removal?
    I was going to post this in the Malware forum but I didnt think it belong there and I was HOPING Chaslang would see it here.....

The other post that shows the link, I see that Chaslang updated it 9/22/07 so I guess Chaslang still not high on Team Timer....

darco

5. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

I didn't say it wasn't a resource hog. I said it does not cause any trouble on my PC. Just checked now, TeaTimer uses 24,980Kb and 0.76 CPU cycles intermittently. If you have plenty of RAM (I have 2 gigs) then this is not a problem, IMO, of course.

I would have posted your query straight up into the Malware Forum. Poor Charles has enough in that Forum without checking the Software Forum for more work. :D Bazza

===

6. bjgarrick

Yes! If you're cleaning a system and Spybot is installed with Tea Timer enabled it should be disabled before starting the removal because it will block the majority of fixes.

7. bjgarrick

Read the thread carefully, it specifically says "can be a resource hog".

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds