The Instruction 0x74488f18

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jaruler, Jul 11, 2016.

1. jaruler

jaruler Private First Class

Hi all

please help

this morning i switched on my win 7 pc as normal.

would not load up and keeps offer me to launch startup repair. or start windows normally

startup repair goes through checking on startup repair which then asks for a system restore. i click restore and it tries to go through process and i get the following errors at different times "0x73f68f18" or "0x74918f18" or "0x74488f18". it flicks between the two. i click ok or click X on the error message and im faced with system recovery options.

Any of the options now given, system restore, startup repair etc comes up with the error and stops the process even after selecting a previous system restore which then reloads saying it will load the previous version. when restarting i get same error and still can not load up pc

i have been into bios and selected default in case anything changed.

worthwhile to note that when it first loaded up it wanted to boot up from the nvida network, even though on bio cd was 1st and then hard drive 2nd. seemed to by pass these. after going through bios and system restore that first boot up process has not reoccurred.

i have not added any software or programs or hardware over past few weeks. the pc shut down last night i noticed with a windows update to install. i do not know which as i just selected shut down and went to bed leaving the machine to update and shut down.

the only other thing was that i was helping out my mother and all owed her to log into her hotmail account online. i think it is possible that she might have had some sort of virus or Trojan in her hotmail? if possible that has no effected my pc? even though i was with her entire time and we did not click on anything in the emails accept to send emails and read some trusted ones. could older emails in her hotmail still in her inbox effect my pc? I ask as her laptop also has same issue 2 months ago and will not load after going to boot disk.

My guy feeling is that the windows update has changed something and not allowing or interfering with something as i had an issue like this in the past on another pc after an update and i then had to scrap that pc all because of windows update.

edit.

on another attempt to use system restore it now has another error.

" system restore did not complete successfully. your computers system files and settings were not changed.

details

system restore failed to extract the original copy of the directory from the restore point.

source: %systemRoot%/ system32/wbem/repository

destination: WmiStaging"

please note that the forward / should be the other one going in other direction. but my keypad wont do it.

I do not have money to spend so i need to fix this asap as i depend on my computer. any help would be grateful.

2. jaruler

a new one " 0x73bb8f18" and 0x73ca8f18 now on 2 more attempts to system restore.

3. jaruler

windows diagnostic also picks up no issues

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

5. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

The numbers are memory addresses, probably not a hardware issue as they're from Windows, more likely from the same failing Service or Process. Windows uses a random memory loading method (ASLR), so they're different each time.

Have you tried booting it in Safe Mode or Last Known Good (tapping F5/F8 during the BIOS/Windows handover)?

6. jaruler

H
    i have tried safe mode various times and have basically chose every option known to me to load windows. each time i am faced with the operation being cut short with those various error messages

pc is a AMD Athlon II x3 44 processor with 3g ram and 1 terabyte hard drive memory.
    windows 7 premium 32 bit, (6.1, build 7600)
    system model G5210uk

pressed all relevant f9 f10 f11 112 f8 etc, i get the options to do these but non of them complete and it errors.

i have been into bios several times and to see if anything od ad selected it to default just in case.
    this is doing my nut in.

thanks

7. plodr

This is an HP model and as such, those are codes generated by HP and not Windows.
    HP Pavilion G5210uk - desktop with Win 7.

If you did not make a set of recovery disks, you might be able to order them from HP
    http://support.hp.com/us-en/product...ries/4269956/model/4328655/document/bph07143/

Since I'm in the US, I can't get info outside of US and Canada.
    Go to the UK page and see if you can find information about the disks.

You can also post to the HP forum and perhaps get help from HP support there
    www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/bd-p/OSandSW

8. jaruler

i installed a new version of win 7 on the pc, it let me install a new one and partition the old one. installed my drivers again for hardware and was able to see my old files etc under what it renamed them as windows old.

was working fine last night and the switched off and it had 1 critical update to install.

this morning it would not load up and said it failed to configure update and was reverting back. when it restarted it was fine and no issues and as i left it last night.

come back this afternoon and again would not load up but also had no error messages. just that the light in the tower would not indicate any processing. it sat ideal with teh window logo on black screen for 5 min before i switched off. It went all the way through this time on trying to repair and said it could not complete it. so it switched itself off. on restart now and i am in safe mode. Copying files i need to external disk.

i managed to copy the event viewer logs if anyone thinks it might be worthwhile to attach these somewhere?

seems to be be happening either due to a windows update or potential virus that has changed something?

a last resort would be a format and complete reinstall if i can help it

9. jaruler

still getting issue loading up.

sometimes if i go through safe mode route and then restart it loads up ok.

then after shutting down normally and then next day loading up i have same issue that it wont load windows.

is their a way to download a boot up from somewhere so that it correct the boot up procedure. i was asked to look for a bootrec on a win 7 disc but even though it showed variois options to choose, when typing them in command it would not work.

so if i can get something to either run on my pc and find whats actually wrong/missing and solve it or a way to download the boot part that woudl be great.

anyone know of good tools out their that can help with this?

10. jaruler

Hi

the link to www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/bd-p/OSandSW says page not found sorry

11. satrow

There should be more details when that error comes up, can you find those details give us thm? If it's only a popup, hover over the taskbar region for the popup to find the source, also try opening Task Manager and get the Properties for it from the applications Tab, right-click menu.

12. jaruler

hi satrow

not sure i understand you sorry. plus the error messages that i originally had no longer show, instead the computer just fails to load windows. it gets to the part where the windows icon is generated on the black screen and then the unit just stops doing anything.

i can get the unit into safe mode and twice restarting from safe mode it successfully loaded up.

then i created a system restore. then when it did not load up again and i trice to do system restore it said there was no restore to select on system repair.

some other info i have found below when trying to solve this.

after doing the memory diag again and it then going to start up repair. i have looked at additional details.

it says the problem even name is: StartupRepairOfline

problem signature 1 6.1.7600.16385

problem signature 2 6.1.7600.16385

problem signature 3 unknown

problem signature 4 21198630

problem signature 5 autoFailover

problem signature 6 2

problem signature 7 norootcause

OS version 8 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1

Locale Id 1033

when using startup repair view diagnostic and repair details:

root cause found:

unspecified changes to system configuration might have caused the problem

repair action - system files integrity check and repair

result : failed error code = 0x490

i have tried windows memory diagnostic 3 times also

13. satrow

Okay, if you can use Safe Mode, there's a very good chance that Safe Mode with networking will also work - so let's try to rule out malware next, even if comes up clean, the logs supplied should be useful in trying to figure out what the problem is. Read and carefully follow the instructions in the linked topic:

READ & RUN ME FIRST Malware Removal Guide

14. plodr

Code:
    http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-G5200-Desktop-PC-series/4269956/model/4328655/document/bph07143/
    I just tested the link and it loaded for me.
    Your option is to copy what is in the code box and paste it into your browser's address bar.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds