Using Pendrive Linux + Flash Drive + Avira For Malware Removal?

Discussion in 'Software' started by lordmaynoth, Feb 23, 2010.

1. lordmaynoth

lordmaynoth Private First Class

Just a note super anti spyware runs great under wine, not so much for malwarebytes. Does anyone else use pendrive linux and avira for linux to remove stubborn windows virii?

2. evilfantasy

evilfantasy Malware Fighter

These forums are for users needing help with malware removal. There are other forums for the various software and hardware conversations including a Linux. forum.

Maybe you would be interested in this topic? Becoming A Malware Forum Helper

3. lordmaynoth

well I figured this applied more to the malware removal forum as it's very handy to boot to a usb flash drive with linux and scan for viruses, spyware and rootkits without having to boot into windows first.

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

You will get more responses to this question in the software forum as no one can post to malware threads other than the OP and the helper. So, moved to software. :major

5. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

We are not sitting in front of the PCs of the users coming here and there is no way most of the users coming here for help would be able to make these special tools. And we don't need them in order to remove malware especially when we have hands on access to the PC which is only the case for when we would be doing things outside of the malware forum for friends and family. An easier tool for all to use ( although still a little complicated for most users needing help ) is UBCD4Win

6. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

I generally tend to use the AntiVir Rescue boot CD. It's Linux based and works well enough. Similarly to your pen drive you can virus scan all partitions.

Also some pcs are not able to boot from flash drives so this is an advantage.

I do have Linux installed on some pcs (which I multi boot) and do have instances of Avast on the Linux partition from which I scan other/windows partitions.

chaslang, apologies if I should not have replied to this thread.

Good Luck

7. lordmaynoth

wow I feel stupid I didn't even know they had a boot cd thank you so much :D
    that is awesome :) how do you keep it up to date?

8. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

By doing some reading here...

9. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

Well for clarity although this site has the download, it's for the .exe file & the one I use is an .iso (image file) from Avira's site.

The whole image (with definitions) is updated mutiple times a day (according to blurb on Avira's page). Coincidently, I downloaded a new image yesterday (24-Feb) and today there is a new one available.

Otherwise, once booted into the prog there is an update button but I do not think that the updates are written in, one reason being that I use a CDR. Also you would need to configure for internet access. This is generally ok for hard wired (NIC) connections but can be a bit tricker with wireless cards as Linux is/can be chipset sensitive.

Try it, this is what it looks like when booted

http://www.free-av.com/en/news/42/avira_to_the_rescue_release_of_the_new_rescue_cd.html

Good Luck

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds