Vb6 Source Code Of Replicator

Discussion in 'Software' started by ElvioArruda, Dec 20, 2016.

1. ElvioArruda

ElvioArruda Private E-2

Hi, I need VB6 source code of REPLICATOR to do some improvements and try do make more Windows 10 compatible (schedule does not work, for example). I didn´t find the source code using google search...

2. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Where does REPLICATOR come from? Was it open source? If it is VB6 there are decompilers out there.

3. ElvioArruda

ElvioArruda Private E-2

It was developed on VB6 and the original site was www.karenware.com. It was a set of power tools with the source code on vb6, but the author (Karen Kenworthy) died... She made all source code available but the site is gone...

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Send me an email address for you by Personal Message here.
    I own a Karen's Power Tool CD. I opened it and the source code for all the Power Tools is included on the CD.
    The file ptreplicator-src.exe has a size of 216kb. I have zipped it up and it is a 199kb file. I will send it as an attachment to an email message.

5. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

plodr you may have gold there, maybe MG would host the iso?

6. ElvioArruda

ElvioArruda Private E-2

I´m very happy! My email:<snip> . Or, if you prefer, you can send me a link to download (dropbox, google drive, etc...). I tried to find the Karen's Power Tool CD, but it disappear from the net (at least I didn´t find it).
    THANK YOU!!! Best regards!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2016
  7. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

I've private messaged plodr your email address and deleted it from your post as it's never a good idea to put it on a public forum.

8. ElvioArruda

ElvioArruda Private E-2

Thank you Laura, but what is the "best way" of send an email, link or attachment on Major Geeks forum?

9. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Unfortunately, I don't think you are able to send one yet, but the best way is to send a Private Message. You'll have to wait until you have 10 posts and then if you click on someone's avatar, you'll see "Start a Conversation". That's the private messaging system on this forum. Btw, I sent you one yesterday. You should have gotten it up in your Inbox on the top right of the screen. You'd be able to respond to that, I believe.

Plodr now has your email. She is one of our best support people. If she said she'll send it you'll hear from her. :)

10. ElvioArruda

ElvioArruda Private E-2

No problem! I just want to follow all the rules of the forum!!! Regards

LauraR likes this.
  11. plodr

You'll be getting 2 emails from me. The first from my gmail would not allow me to attach the zipped file. Probably because it saw an exe inside.
    So I tried from my juno email and that went through.
    Both emails would have Karen's replicator in the subject line.

I hope that is the source code you are looking for.

I don't think you'll find the CD available for sale on the net. I purchased it years ago.

12. plodr

Unfortunately, juno just bounced the message too. It wasn't accepted by the recipient's email which is a gmail one. Google barred it from acceptance when it saw the attachment..

13. plodr

Not willing to give up just yet.
    I uploaded the zipped file to my google drive and shared the link with my juno email.
    I've now forwarded the juno email I got to your email address.

Please let me know if you can download the tiny file.

LauraR likes this.
  14. ElvioArruda

ElvioArruda Private E-2

Everything is fine!!! Thank YOU SO MUCH!!! Regards!!!

15. plodr

Good. I hope you are able to do what you want and get it to work on Win 10.

16. ElvioArruda

ElvioArruda Private E-2

Unfortunatelly, it seems that some modules are missing... maybe they are on another source code from CD... The file PATH.BAS does not exist on sources... Is possible to host the ISO or share the ISO Karen CD?

17. plodr

I do not have a server. Also I'd need to turn the CD into an ISO. I did this a long time ago. I'd need to get out my notes and see how I did it. Unfortunately, I don't have the time right before the holiday to do this.

18. ElvioArruda

ElvioArruda Private E-2

It´s Ok. To create ISO I use IMGBURN (it´s free) http://www.imgburn.com/ and it´s very easy to use.
    upload_2016-12-22_16-49-46.png

19. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

plodr, you need to select the option 'Create image file from disc' in the screenshot above.

20. ElvioArruda

ElvioArruda Private E-2

Yes.... I upload a wrong image... my bad... :(

Eldon likes this.
  21. ElvioArruda

ElvioArruda Private E-2

Now the wright image...
    upload_2016-12-23_10-41-37.png

Eldon likes this.
  22. plodr

It already been done.

23. Anon-29aa2eb962

Anon-29aa2eb962 Anonymized

Have you proceeded with this? As you may know, a recent Windows update (there's a thread about it here) has resulted in Karen's Replicator producing error messages, failing to create new folders in the destination, and thus failing to backup files into those folders.

Previous to the Windows update, Karen's Replicator had been successfully running my scheduled jobs.

24. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Welcome to Major Geeks

Since the author of this thread has never returned since 5 months ago, it should be considered completed.
    If you have a continuing issue yourself that you require assistance with, then please post a new thread.

25. ElvioArruda

ElvioArruda Private E-2

Hi! I´m still using Karen´s Replicator without any problem (until now) on my updated Windows 7 64 bits... I also compiled the source code and seems that everything is Ok, but the version of source code is a little bit older than the last one available on net. If you want, I can send the source code or the EXE´s (compiled version) of the two versions that I have (by dropbox or similar) .

26. Richard (Australia)

Richard (Australia) Private E-2

It would be great if somebody could get hold of the code for Replicator and update it. I suspect that only a small change is required - as I have found a simple way to make it work again.
    Surely relatives/friends of Karen would be willing to release it on an open source basis? It would be a great way for her work to continue to survive her.

I had the same problem as others have had, where Replicator was unable to access files. In my case the problem arose when replicating from one local drive (D: ) to another local drive ( Z: ) on my PC.

I noticed that Karen's Replicator continues to have no problem replicating to my NAS - for which I specified the full destination network address in Replicator - e.g. \\192.168.1.2\Backups\My Documents\

So I set a fixed network address for my PC (being 192.168.1.15) and entered the full network address in Replicator for the destination folder on the Z: drive - e.g. \\192.168.1.15\Z$\Backups\My Documents\

Replicator is now working again. So I suspect that modifying the code so that internally Replicator uses the full network address for local drives might fix the problem.

I have looked at alternatives to Replicator (such as FreeFileSync) but if you want to use them for automated (e.g. daily) backup then you also need to use Windows Task Scheduler, which frankly is too clunky and complicated for the average user (i.e. me) and difficult to get to work properly.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds