Was Os Totally Destroyed By Hacker? (wi-fi Button Frozen Solid In Off Position)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Cold One, May 14, 2016.

1. Cold One

Cold One Private E-2

Machine: Dell Venue Pro
    Age: One year old BUT hardly ever used, device sits on shelf collecting dust

Symptom: Wi-fi button - unable to switch wi-fi button on - can't connect to the Internet - wi-fi button frozen in OFF position all the time.

Steps taken:

I formatted the OS not once but approximately 3 or 4 times in order to try and cure problem. Why 3 or 4 times? Because the wi-fi button is always frozen in the OFF position no matter how many times I format Windows 8.

In between each format I did not go on the Internet because the w-fi button never works. The OS comes with Windows Defender already installed, a Windows based anti-virus program.

I scanned the OS and nothing malicious comes up. Because the problem prevents me from going online, I am unable to update Windows Defender.

I went to the device manager to inspect the network card, and nothing looked unusual.

My opinion, as a layperson:

Because the tablet was formatted approximately 3-4 times in order to solve the problem,

because a tablet needs to be able to connect to the Internet wirelessly,

and because the wi-fi button is always frozen in the OFF position,

it would appear a hacker rendered the tablet's operating system completely useless,

would you agree?

The problem has not been solved, the symptom persists, if you have a cure please suggest one. The tablet will play a crucial part in my life when I relocate and move across the U.S., when I bed down in any one Airbnb and begin the hunt for a new place to live in an unknown land. As it stands now, because the wi-fi button is frozen, the tablet is of no use.

2. Stephen_c16

Stephen_c16 Master Sergeant

Hello, I thought you might have posted in the wrong section; Smartphones and Tablets - Software

But then I did a little searching and came across;

It might be of some use.
    Good luck,
    s.

edit
    But then I thought how can you update if you can't connect to wifi...

Last edited: May 14, 2016
  3. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Did you buy the Venue directly from Dell? Is it still under warranty?

From your description, the wi-fi switch is a physical switch like it is on my Latitude E6400.

I'd call Dell and see if you can get a warranty repair or replacement if the Venue is still under warranty.

BTW, I was considering getting a Venue. Thanks for the heads up about the wi-fi switch problem.

4. mdonah

If the wi-fi switch is a software switch, go to the Dell Support site on the computer you're posting here with and enter the Service Tag number from the Venue (any letters must be capitalized). Then go to the Drivers download section.

Download the device drivers and other software for the Venue and transfer them to a flash drive (I'd recommend a 4GB flash drive). Before transferring them, rename them so that you know which driver is for each device (the supplied names tend to be somewhat cryptic). Set Autoplay on the Venue so that the flash drive opens in file explorer so that you can view the files.

Make sure to install the software and drivers in the order recommended by Dell. If not done this way, things may not work properly.

Windows 8.1 when configuring devices during setup uses generic drivers, not the drivers for specific manufacturer devices as configured at the factory. Having the proper device driver can make all the difference.

5. Cold One

Cold One Private E-2

No, not a piece of physical hardware. To get to the switch you click on an icon that is down near the clock. Icon is provided by AT&T. It has multiple bars on it, like a meter - indicating signal strength. Right click on said icon and switch appears. Use cursor to switch wifi on and off. Both units no longer under warranty. Yes, I have two Dell Venue Pro 8's. Not sure if my issue constitutes a heads-up, as google does not show or reveal similar problem involving other users - problem appears to be isolated or an anomaly. Which would make sense if a hacker had a hand in this matter. This issue reared it's ugly head last weekend 7 days ago today - on both tablets, on the same day. Yes, on both tablets - and that is strange, way strange.

6. Cold One

Cold One Private E-2

I own not one but two Dell Venue Pro 8's. For reference, I'll call them "Venue 1 tablet" and "Venue 2 tablet."

Last weekend I was downloading programs off the Internet on both tablets, in preparation for a move, I am relocating to a different state.

I'll need the tablets when I'm at an Airbnb, to look for housing.

That same weekend, later in the day, Venue 1 tablet and Venue 2 tablet came down with the same exact problem: The wi-fi button on both units would not turn on.

That type of an issue seems like more than just a coincidence. It would seem that someone had a hand in it.

I formatted both tablets and in the end I noticed something striking.

Venue tablet 1: When formatting the OS, it will load Windows 8 at normal speed. The dysfunctional wi-fi button? So far, the wi-fi button is unfrozen and fully functional, that problem is gone, for now - note, I don't use the unit at all right now because wifi at home is questionable.

Venue tablet 2: When formatting the OS, it loads Windows 8 in slow motion. It freezes at the 1% mark for about 10 minutes. Eventually it unfreezes and proceeds to install Windows 8. The dysfunctional wi-fi button? It stays frozen in the OFF position, that problem never goes away.

Never in their history did either tablet lock the wi-fi button in place until last weekend. When both problems occurred at the same time on both tablets, I reasoned that it might be due to a hacker in the neighborhood - a better than average hacker.

7. Cold One

Cold One Private E-2

I'm packing and getting things ready for a long-distance move. The tablets are important to have when I get to a new town and start looking for a place to live. Lot of stress involved with moving,. When I get time I will try the steps suggested as seen in the video, thank you.

P.S. The video has a lot of views, so perhaps I was wrong when I said the problem appears to be a rare problem - but then again nowhere in the video does he talk about the wifi's on/off switch - if he had, I would have thanked my lucky stars.

8. Stephen_c16

Stephen_c16 Master Sergeant

Hello again,
    Following what you said about both tablets having the same problem it is my thought that mdonah's suggestion in #4 would be the one I would try; namely
    Good luck,
    s.

9. Cold One

Cold One Private E-2

Unfortunately the steps suggested in this video do not work. Reason: The video assumes that both tablets of mine have updates, fixes and patches installed on them from Microsoft. That is wrong. Because the wifi switch on Venue Tablet 1 is frozen in the OFF position, it is impossible to update the tablet. Also, the OS on both tablets were formatted and or reset, which is another reason why they have no updates on them.

The wifi switch on Venue Tablet 2 will function (it is not frozen), but I do not feel confident using wifi to connect to the Internet while at home, and thus that unit has yet to be connected to the Internet. I am reluctant to use wifi at home, just in case an above average hacker used a sophisticated attack that rendered both wifi switches dysfunctional (last weekend).

10. Cold One

Cold One Private E-2

Yes, these are good suggestions. Unfortunately because I'm getting ready to move, I have to turn away from this issue and focus on packing things in boxes. Don't know when I'll be able to try this suggestion, but I do know I need the tablets for when I'm at an Airnbnb and begin to search for an apartment. Thank you for helping.

11. Cold One

Cold One Private E-2

I have no real forensic proof that the wifi switch was tampered with by a sophisticated hacker (last weekend). I don't even know if an above average hacker could do something like that, I have no clue in that department. But if it is possible for an above average hacker to freeze a wifi switch in the OFF position, then some of the people that I know and who live in my neighgorhood, people that belong to a certain group, would have had the $$$ money and resources in which to pay and obtain the best person to get the job done.

12. mdonah

If it occurred at the same time on both Venues while downloading something, you more than likely downloaded and installed a program that caused the issue. However, you've said that you re-installed Windows on both Venues and on one the problem was cleared. They apparently aren't identical. You may need to re-install the AT&T software on the problematic Venue since AT&T is your wi-fi provider — uninstall it and re-install it because apparently things didn't complete the first time.

If it had been a hacker, more than likely you would have lost all control of the Venues.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds