What Alternate MoBo can I use?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Electro-User, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Electro-User

Electro-User Private First Class

What Alternate Motherboard can I use to replace a Asus A8N-BR?

After going thru a lot of trial & error and elimination this forum has helped me determine my Motherboard was SHOT.
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?p=1602900&posted=1#post1602900

I like to see if I can use one of the new ones out there that aren't very expensive but it has to be small - 6.75" x 6.75" max size

HP Slimline s7600n
    MB = Asus A8N-BR / 5188-5470 / Pyrite-GL8E

I'd like to use my existing CPU which is a AMD Athlon 64 X2 (AM2 socket)
    and the PSU needs to have the same 24 pin connector on the same side of the board

Here's the board spec's with photos:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...ry&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3257740

2. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

You're not going to find an aftermarket MB that is a direct replacement for that board, as it was specifically made for HP.

3. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

4. Electro-User

abekl
    Toke

I am NOT asking about a direct replacement for the Asus A8N-BR board as I know where to find these.

I am asking about using one of the newer boards that will FIT the same footprint as the Asus A8N-BR -- like some of the Mini-ITX Form Factor motherboards

For example here's one:

This board fits, as it is 6.70" X 6.70" and has the 24-pin ATX power connector
    http://www.frys.com/product/6539203?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

But I will need a adapter/extender for the 24-pin ATX power connector to reach that side of the board.

Does anyone know of any others that will work for the HP Slimline or will this one work?
    Will the HP's PSU work here???

Attached Files:

5. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Apologies for misreading your post .. I see no reason if the newer board will fit inside the case assuming the Standoffs will fit the mobo screws. Its an AM2 as you want and if need be an extension for the 24 pin ATX are easy to find. Has your PSU a 4 pin 12 volt connector as this will be needed and what wattage and how many 12 volt rails and ampage has it. Is your existing memory DDR3 as that will be required. As I said earlier the stand-offs positioning would be my first concern.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

7. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

All AMD Fusion motherboards have a built-in APU (CPU + graphics chip combined), so you won't be able to fit your current AM2 CPU to boost the speed.

Mini-ITX 'boards fit straight into ATX/ITX cases - the stand-offs are in the same places, so there should be no trouble fitting a Mini-ITX into your case.

Unless the Fusion fits your bill, I'd look at the Zotac board here if you want to re-use your current DDR2 RAM and CPU.

8. Electro-User

satrow

Thanks for the info.

I will need a ATX 24 pin power supply extender to make this work.
    I see New Egg doesn't carry them and only has a 20 pin adapter to 24 pin.

Do you know of any other suppliers that may carry this?

9. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

10. Electro-User

satrow

My PSU on this HP is 108 Watts - I noticed there are no power supply specs on the listing for motherboards.

How do I check if a motherboard I am looking to purchase will will with the 108 watt PSU?

I know 108 watts is low but its the only PSU that fits in this tiny case

11. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Well, the Zotac 'board is very similar to the original, I don't see anything that might cause it to use more power than the HP/ASUS.

It's not uncommon to find Mini-ITX systems running on a sub-65W PSU - yours will require a little more because of the CPU but around 90W is likely to be the max. needed.

Whatever 'board you decide to go with, make some time to read the reviews from verified owners.

12. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds