Where can I find the correct drivers?

Discussion in 'Software' started by runfromabear, Apr 4, 2008.

1. runfromabear

runfromabear Private First Class

I am looking for some driver updates that will bring my computer up to the staus I need to play a game. I was wondering if there were any sites around where I could download theses drivers for free.

My video card Intel Indeol Video card needs updating to Directx 9.0 compatible (32 MB Memory) and my sound drivers need upgrading Directx 9.0 compatible.

My computer is a 2000 Compaq Presario 4000 desktop

I don't really know to much about computers.... so any help would be appreciated. Can i just download new drivers or do I have to buy a whole new video card? Any help is appreciated. -runfromabear

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Welcome to Major Geeks. Since you didn't post the exact model number, and there's about 50 different 4000 series Presario desktops, and you didn't mention which version of Windows you're running, I can't guarantee that these drivers will work:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=228&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=329399&lang=en
    If they don't work, go into your Device Manager and look at the sound devices and the display adapters and post the info here. Or, visit this link, read it and use the tips described to find out which drivers you need and post the list here if you can't find 'em yourself.
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=149107
    If all you need is to update Direct X to version 9.0c, go here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en
    If your current hardware is not DirectX 9 compatible, you need to buy new hardware. You can try a driver update though....

Good luck!

3. runfromabear

I tried the drivers you referred but couldn't get it to go.

Here is the information that should be of help. The computer is a desktop Compaq Prescario 4420CA..... I am running windows XP Home Edition.

The message that keeps coming up when I try to run my game is "Your 3D acceleator card and/ or your video card could not be initialized properly. Please update the drivers for your 3D and or video card.

(There also used to be a message that my sound needed to be updated but it hasn't come up the last time or too)

For my Graphics controller
    Device Type: Intel (R) 82815 Graphics Controller
    Driver Version: 6.13.1.2951

Audio is

Sound Max Integrated Digital Audio
    Manufacturer: Realtek
    Driver Version 5.1

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Run a DirectX test and see what happens; make note of which version you have (9.0c is the newest for WindowsXP). Click Start > Run and type dxdiag and click OK. You'll get a question that asks about WHQL, answer Yes. I have attached a screen shot of what the main DXDIAG window looks like. Note the version of DirectX and click the indicated tabs to run tests on your video and audio. You haven't mentioned which game you're trying to run, or if the game ever worked on your PC (from your first post it sounds like it hasn't). There's a real good chance that your PC is too old to run the game :( If the game is 2-3 years old, that may be the situation. Depending on your motherboard, you may be able to install a good video card and sound card to get the game to play. Most games will also require a memory upgrade. Judging from the specs you posted, I'm thinking your PC is at least 6 years old and that's going to make any kind of gaming difficult (unless the games are 6 years old too).
    Anyway, run the dxdiag and post the info here along with the name of the game you're trying to play, and we'll go from there ;)

Attached Files:

5. runfromabear

Ok, the game I am trying to run is NHL 2005 my DirectX version is 9.oc
    (4.09.0000.0904).

All the Direct Draw tests were successful
    All the Direct 3D Tests were successful

However on an interesting note my sound direct test said that no hardware was found under the sound section.

Even if this never does work. Thanks for all your help -runfromabear

6. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Here's a link to the game's requirements. http://forum.docusaur.us/lofiversion/index.php/t10357.html (scroll down a little bit to see the specs). Your video card (being a built-in video card) is not going to play the game regardless of the drivers. You'll need to buy a video card and probably a sound card too. To be totally honest, once someone starts gaming on their PC, they want to start playing better and newer games. Even if you bought a new video card you're PC is still lacking in the power needed for gaming. I checked with the HP/Compaq web site (here's the link http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...9319&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=92769&lang=en)
    and it just doesn't have the ability to be upgraded enough to be even a low-end gaming PC. :( It maxes out at only 512mb of memory; many new video cards have more than this on the card alone! It's possible that the web site worded the memory capabilities wrong, and you can maybe go to 2 x 512mb for 1gb total which is a minimum for gaming. There is an AGP slot on your motherboard (according to the HP web site) so you can still get a decent video card. But since the PC is aging, maybe buying a used one (like an FX series from nVidia) for $30 or so would at least enable you to play some games without spending too much money. I ran an FX5700 256mb video card for years, and until about 18 months ago, it was OK for most games if I set them at low or med-low (but I had an Athlon64 3200+ and 1.5gb DDR400). I have since upgraded dramatically (and I'm thinking about upgrading dramatically again soon). So... here it is in a nutshell: you cannot play this game on your current hardware. :cry It just isn't going to happen. :( You can try to upgrade a bit, but if gaming is the direction you're headed, then adding new parts isn't going to help and would be a waste. To do any serious gaming, a whole new PC is probably the way to go... I wish I had better news....

BTW- I guessed right ;)
    Look at the 'Quick Specs' at the HP web site I linked to above....

Good luck!
    :major
    [dlb]

7. runfromabear

Thanks a lot. Even though the game won't work until I do some upgrading the information you gave me was extremely helpful. Thanks again for all your help -runfromabear

8. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Hey, no problem :cool Glad I could help :)

When you're ready to upgrade or buy a new PC, let us know and we can try to offer some help or advice when the time comes....:wave
    :seeya

:major
    .d|b.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds