"file 9" problem (ChkDsk kills winXP, secedit.sdb corrupt)
I've posted a few times about this on-going problem, but I have more specifics now. I'm experiencing a ChkDsk "file 9" problem on my HP Windows XP
with SP3. Basically, if I run ChkDsk /f, it begins (stage 1 - file verification) by deleting a bunch of "corrupt" attribute list entries and records. Stage 2 (index
verification) goes through fine. In stage 3 (security descriptors), it deletes over 10,000 $SII and $SDH index entries related to "file 9," followed by over
security id replacements for over 200,000 files. When Windows loads, I cannot move the desktop icons, for example, and have lost most other basic rights
under both the Admin and Default User accounts. I've tried fixing it, but in the end have always had to revert to an earlier Acronis True Image backup of my
C-partition or an ERUNT registry backup, and forgo ChkDsk.
Other symptoms (pre-ChkDsk):
1. Error message regarding secedit.sdb (see attached) when I try to access Local Security Policy (Control Panel -> Admin Tools).
2. Cannot register Windows modules (DLL-files).
Attempted (failed) solutions (in addition to general cleanup, defrags, etc.):
1. I've tried running Windows Repair from the installation CD.
2. I tried installed Hotfix KB884018 from MS, but the install failed (see attached log).
3. At the moment, I've disabled "Simple File Sharing" in hopes that redefining file security might help (but 1 still applies).
4. Hardware is not to blame (ChkDsk worked fine after clean WinXP install - but I reverted back because that was just for comparison/check).
Any ideas besides a clean install of Windows?
p.s. FWIW, the ChkDsk log is actually of a clone of my C-partition (hence the disk space error message).
Win7(64-bit): WFC, IObit Malware Defender, KeyScrambler, Drive Snapshot, Rollback Rx
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|"C:\$Secure is corrupt" -> ChkDsk -> WinXP/SP3 dies (Adv. SystemCare 3/RC2 to blame?)||On edge||Software||6||10-15-08 12:55|
|GRAW2 game problem pls help "corrupt gamefile"||nightswallow||Software||1||01-05-08 12:38|
|"Unmountable Boot Volume" problem w/ WinXP||ronyotz||Software||1||05-02-07 16:17|
|"File Missing or Corrupt"||mcclark||Hardware||2||12-03-06 07:16|
|please help the file""generals zero hour data1.cab is corrupt""||shhbor||Software||3||08-01-06 12:29|