Upgrade gone WRONG!! Pliz Help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dagsky, Mar 10, 2007.

1. dagsky

dagsky Private E-2

Hi,

i recently posted a topic asking for upgarde ideas for my pc, the topic is here:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=119815

Ok so i went and bought a new Intel P4 3.4ghz 2mb cache and 512mb Kingston ddr.

I then upgraded my cpu from a celeron 2.8 to the above and also i put in the new memory taking my pc upto 1gb memory.

Now what has happened is my pc will boot up perfectly and then say 10minutes later it will just switch off and restart! I has done this about 15 times switching off at different time intervals.

I then removed the new memory to see if this is the problem but it does not solve the issue.

I have been monitoring the temperature of my pc and it is around 32-38 degrees.

I have absolutely NO idea what is going on! I do know that my pc has created dumps of whats happened but i just can't follow the instructions on how to read the dump using the windows tools thingy!

if possible i could always email you the file of the dump and someone maybe able to read it.

when it does switch off there is NO BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH so i don't even see any error messages.

I have not installed any new softare drivers or anything on my pc. So this prob will be directly connected to these upgardes i've just done.

I did read about issues regarding problems like this for users running SP2 and needing to install some software but i am NOT running SP2 i have xp SP1.

For the love of me i just can't figure out whats going on!!

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

I'm thinking that maybe you SHOULD install SP2 if the PC will run long enough to do it. Maybe check your power supply. The newer CPU is probably drawing more power than the old Celeron did, and if your power supply was marginal to begin with..... I'm also thinking it's a thermal problem but the temps you report are not even close to too hot. Check your BIOS settings and see if the BIOS is 'seeing' the CPU correctly. Maybe you need a BIOS upgrade due to the fact that the current BIOS isn't 100% happy w/ the new CPU. Check voltages and FSB/multiplier settings while in there... I didn't check the link to your previous thread, but some specs would be helpful: mobo model/make, PSU specs, HSF make/model/size/rpm's, etc....

hopperdave2000

3. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

sounds like a PSU problem to me

4. dagsky

dagsky Private E-2

ok specs for my pc before upgrade were:

Processor : Intel Celeron 2.8ghz (not clocked)
    Graphics : Nvidia GeForce 6200 TurboCache
    MOBO : Gigabyte 775 8I915P-G
    HDD : 200GB maxtor SATA

All i did UPGRADE was the CPU to a Intel P4 3.4ghz 650. I also added another 512mb of kingston memory which i have removed in the process of fault finding.

I have been to Gigabyte website to see if i have the latest bios and i already did which was ver F7. I did however NOT have any of the previous version installed on my PC. I went straight from ver F4 to F7.

I have done a test using memset and it has passed.

I then decided to turn off HT in my BIOS and also i Installed a OLDER version of my BIOS ie F6 and now my PC seems to be doing ok!! No switching off now!!

But now i did notice that whatever speed i did gain thru the upgrade has now gone since turning off the HT.

Another thing i noticed on the CPU box it says

Requires Platform Compatibality Guide 04b or 04A Board.

I dunno what this means!!

A new prob that has crept up is my pc now just freezes and i have to manualy restart it cause i can't do anything!!

Is my mobo actually compatible with this CPU to begin with? I'm sure the gigabyte website did say so but maybe i'm wrong!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds