Problems with tweaking.com

Discussion in 'Software' started by kkid50, Jul 16, 2014.

1. kkid50

kkid50 Private E-2

Used tweaking.com on my win7 pro - it shut down device manager / audio / safe mode. If you call the listed 877 number on the tweaking site - they want $350 to "repair" your computer. Am I the only one or have others had a similar experience. It shutdown the restore option also.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Where did you find an 877 phone number?
    This is the official site http://www.tweaking.com/core/termsofuse/index.html
    which lists this phone number Tel: 315.307.3159 which though it says "state of Portland" I suspect it means Portland, in the state of New York. I looked up the 315 area code and it is upstate NY. Then I had to see if NY has a town of Portland because I'm more familiar with Oregon and Maine having Portlands.

There is also an email contact http://www.tweaking.com/core/imprint/index.html
    and a forum: http://www.tweaking.com/forums/

I have to question whether you use the authentic program or got it from a fake site.

3. rustysavage

rustysavage Sergeant Major

Immediately upon installing a very popular program that (to my knowledge) nobody on this forum has ever had a serious problem with, you just happened to simultaneously lose your ability to use device manager, safe mode, and system restore, while at the same time being issued a previously unheard of (and unverifiable) 877 number where someone offers to "fix" those precise problems for an exorbitant price. Honey, you just got F#%*ed. More precisely, your computer has almost certainly contracted some type of malware from an infected copy of a Tweaking.com app. Please see the following page to begin your journey down malware lane:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

This will instruct you on some things you need to do (and not do) right now. You will then need to post a new message in the MajorGeek malware forum.

Good luck

4. kkid50

kkid50 Private E-2

I just downloaded it again and unzipped it from the MajorGeek website....opened the file and clicked the Repair_Window App file. The Step 1 window has a phone number at the bottom right "Still Need Professional Help? 1-877-400-7605 Call ASAP Tech Support / USA.

You are probably right that this is not the Tweaking.com tech number - but its on the page that comes up saying TWEAKING.com with the Paypal donate logo. Maybe this is another tech number that has nothing to do with tweak. The issue still remains that the program disabled the functions I listed in the original post - that's Why I called the number. I was able to use msconfig to force a safe mode boot and perform a restore that I could not do in normal boot as it was disabled. At any rate, lesson learned. I have used MajorGeeks as a trusted site many times, and will continue to do so....just not with this program....thanks for your reply

5. rustysavage

I downloaded a fresh copy of the program from the MG site then scanned it along with the installed files on VirusTotal.com but got no hits, so at least we know that the MG file isn't infected (doesn't say anything about the copy you originally downloaded and installed). You're right about the 877 number being displayed on the main screen but it's 3 AM EST so I'll wait a few hours to call and see what's up with the $350 consultation fee. What do they think they are? Lawyers?;)

I'm not clear from your last post whether the problems were solved with the system restore you were able to do in safe mode. Hopefully it did. Regardless, you would be wise to scan your system with an antivirus/antimalware scanner. If you don't have a scanner you can do a free online scan by following the instructions on the following page:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=149856

6. plodr

Interesting about the 877 number in the program along with a fee of $350! For that amount, I'd save my money and put it towards the cost of a new computer. Considering the last netbook I bought was $215 and the desktop was $189 and the tablet was $150, I could buy two devices to get on the internet for $350.

7. plodr

I finally was able to track down a screenshot of a newer version.
    That 877 is an ad. It has nothing to do with tweaking.com. I guess someone paid tweaking dot com to include an ad on the first page of the program.
    This is the company called ASAP tech help http://www.asaptechhelp.com/
    It has nothing to do with the tweaking program.

8. kkid50

kkid50 Private E-2

I thank you all for your input on the tweaking issue. I think your assumption is correct that the 877 number has nothing to do with tweaking.com. Maybe I did something not paying attention - but I had the same results on a second computer - no audio/no safe mode/no device manager....so whatever I did, I managed to do it twice. For the record, the cure for both was the msconfig forcing a safe boot on startup then doing a restore. I went back two weeks and then ran malwarebytes on both computers and found nothing..... Since others have had great success with this program, I will write this up as inexperience on my part. And, no....I didn't pay the requested 877 service rate to repair either computer.........thanks again for your input.

9. rustysavage

On the second computer, did you use the installer you used on the first computer (downloaded from god knows where and possibly infected) or did you use a copy downloaded from MajorGeeks? I could understand if you got the same results from installing the same file, but if you got the same results installing a clean copy on a different computer... that would be very strange. You might want to report that on the Tweaking.com forum

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds