Are Nvme A Scam For Those Who Do Gaming?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by djsolidsnake86, Aug 24, 2023.

1. djsolidsnake86

djsolidsnake86 Private E-2

In recent years it has been seen that the m2 nvme have a high risk of failure, due to high temperatures (main cause of malfunction in the electronics) of both the memories and the controller, although they are dissipated, and the real tests of games and applications do not show particular advantages compared to a sata ssd, not even in a game like ratched and clank that uses direct storage, the difference is a few tenths of a second compared to a sata ssd, and in the future with the increase of ram in video cards probably the direct storage will become even more useless than it is now
    sata ssds are extremely reliable and keep temperatures down, and they run everything really well
    i had 2 nvme that both failed, while i have a sata ssd that from 2017 still has 88% life remaining
    after this reflection, I ask you, are nvme in all respects a scam for those who do gaming?

2. djsolidsnake86

djsolidsnake86 Private E-2

nvme faster speed is only in benchmarks, in real life the speed is same, so what is the advantage to choose a higher risk failure storage compared to sata ssd?

3. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

No.

"Scam" is intentional dishonesty, fraud, deception. That is not happening. For one, no company wants their products to fail prematurely. That's bad publicity and bad for business.

Second, for an entire class/industry of products from multiple manufacturers to be a "scam" it would indicate a massive, organized, international conspiracy to defraud consumers worldwide. Not happening.

If using a M2 NVME SSD, I would suggest adding a heatsink (if not already there) and most importantly, ensuring an adequate supply of cool air is flowing through the case and across those drives. Sadly, many users, eager to go with alternative cooling solutions, fail to address the cooling needs of the remaining components inside their case - components that rely on traditional (case fan) cooling. These often include chipsets, VRMs, RAM and M2 devices, among other components.

And it should go without saying, but keeping the case interior clean of heat trapping dust is of critical importance too.

the mekanic likes this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds