BEFSR41 ver.2 router firewall question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Aldo, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Aldo

Aldo Private E-2

Hi guys,
    I recently bought a Linksys BEFSR41 version 2 router, I would like
    to know if the firewall that comes with it is sufficient enough to
    keep out hackers, or should I go out and buy a separate firewall. My
    network connection is for home use.
    Thank You.
    Aldo

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

that should be sufficient for home use.

3. NeoNemesis

NeoNemesis Moutharrhea

imo, i think pretty much all hardware firewalls are good enough for home use. I haven't seen one that isn't.

4. Wookie

Wookie Sergeant Major

If your looking for some advanced features check out the netgear fvs318, webpage blocking features and some stuff. If your worries about hackers NAT is plenty, the router pretty much blocks all incoming port requests unless you set up port forwarding or a DMZ(Demilitarized Zone)

5. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

6. Wookie

Wookie Sergeant Major

You means spyware and trojans by Partial Protection? Thats supposed to be the O/S's Job, which Microsoft has failed at and you have to look to third party Apps. THe firewall/Router wont stop anything from leaving, so if you get a tracker or something from bad security in IE it can still send info out, but nothing gets in. You will still need to scan for Virus's and SPy ware if you are running Windows. You can install software FireWall which will alert you and ask for permission if anything tried to leave, Norton Internet security firewal does both ways, in and out. I have seen a few weird programs on my computer try and access the net and Norton asked me and I denied them, its really useful and helps show how secure your system is from spyware and what not. There are also free ones if you want to step the level of protection up.

7. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

Very True.

So you need to use a Router + Software Firewall + Cleaning programs.!!

I have: SPI - NAT Firewall, Norton Internet Security, and these three MajorGeeka "Special".

Spyware, Adware, Clean and Protect.

Link to: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download506.html

Anti-Virus.

Link to: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download955.html

Trojan Scanner

Link to: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4281

:cool:

8. Aldo

Aldo Private E-2

Hi guys, Ok I just want to thank you for all the comments. I'm kinda new at this, and you guys have really supplied a lot of info.
    Thanks again :)
    Aldo

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds