blocked cookie

Discussion in 'Software' started by Vonnie, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Vonnie

Vonnie Sergeant

Something is blocking a cookie I need to access certain sites and I cant find it.
    Any ideas how to go about finding what is blocking
    http //ad.doubleclick. net/adi ?

It is the only one that I am having problems with.

2. muskybob

muskybob Fish Tickler

If you are running AdAware or Spybot it could be blocking it from there. Have you checked?

3. Vonnie

Vonnie Sergeant

I run both Ad-aware and Spybot but cant find where it is blocked at.

4. muskybob

muskybob Fish Tickler

Try opening Spybot, click on Spybot S-D, click on Recovery & see if it's in there.

5. Vonnie

Vonnie Sergeant

Can't find it in there.

6. muskybob

muskybob Fish Tickler

Try AdAware in "Quarentine".

7. muskybob

muskybob Fish Tickler

Try restoreing the last time you had it running right.

8. Vonnie

Vonnie Sergeant

Checked quarantine and have turned sys restore off and back on since it started.
    Is it possible that when I deleted Earthlink any settings it may have made stayed?
    I know I used popup blocker that came with Earthlink and maybe spyware thing.
    I am grasping at straws now :)

9. muskybob

muskybob Fish Tickler

Aside from checking the obvious, which you did, You're gonna have to wait for someone more experienced than me to jump in. Sorry I couldn't help.

10. Vonnie

Vonnie Sergeant

Thank you for trying :)

11. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

What firewall are you running?

12. Vonnie

Vonnie Sergeant

Panda now, but was running Zone Alarm. It is the same with both.

13. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

if you are running the zone alarm pro version then it is possible to block those cookies with the settings of zone alarm

check the following
    open zone alarm
    click on privacy
    check your cookie control and your ad blocking

double click is probably being blocked by zone alarm since doubleclick is associated with ads.

you might have to mess around with the custom settings in order for that cookie to be allowed

What version of panda are you running.

14. Vonnie

Vonnie Sergeant

I am going to disable panda firewall and go back to zone alarm tomorrow and see if I can do that. Thanks.

15. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

One more thing

with IE

check your internet settings. if you have it setup with strict settings that might also be causing this to happen

go to tools
    internet options
    privacy
    down to websites
    edit
    then scroll down to the one you need to allow
    it will probably say always block.
    change that to allow.

16. G.T.

G.T. R.I.P February 4, 2007. You will be missed.

Doubleclick is one of the oldest of the obnoxious tracking sites/cookies. If you've used Spybot's Immunize feature, or anything else that automatically blocks unsafe domains, it will keep anything from DoubleClick from loading.

Generally, that simply means that DoubleClick advertising won't be displayed, and their nosy cookie won't get planted on your machine. It generally won't stop a site or page from loading.

Is this something you really need to access? Any site that absolutely demands that I let DoubleClick and its ilk run amok is one that I simply avoid.

If you simply MUST access it, remove Spybot's immunization, and check whatever else you may have run to keep you safe from unsafe domains. Removal of those will be different for each program. Also check your managed sites in Internet Explorer's Managed Sites and remove it from the list if it's there. SloppyGoat went into detail on that in this thread: http://www.majorgeeks.com/vb/showthread.php?t=29753&highlight=hosts+file

17. Vonnie

Vonnie Sergeant

I got one of those free pandas tht it was giving away. Platinum 7
    I just reinstalled my Zone Alarm.
    Will I need to reboot IE after changing it to allow?

18. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

Yes it is a good idea to restart

also if you have pandas firewall active it is also a good idea to not have both activated at the same time.

19. Vonnie

Vonnie Sergeant

I deactivated panda firewall.
    Have tried all that has been suggested and still can't get to the sites I want.
    I think once my windows updates on cd get here I am just going to do a clean install and start over. It's been over a year since I got the machine so I guess its time :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds