Can't Install Apps On Sd Card

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets - Hardware' started by spirittoo, Nov 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spirittoo

spirittoo Sergeant

Hello .... I just purchase this phone and this mircoSD card. I'm trying to install apps, but I can because the phone wants to install on the internal storage with is only 100mb. It running a Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS. I tried going into the phone settings under app manager and tried to move the apps to the SD card, but the option is grayed out. I went into the storage section and I have the dot checked for SD card. The phone does see the SD card it shows up in the information. So anyone know why the phone just wants to install the apps on the internal storage? How do I get it to store the apps on the SD card???

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

3. spirittoo

spirittoo Sergeant

Well sir ... I followed the instructions and I am stuck at the part where you are suppose to hold the shift key and right click on the adb folder ... well for some reason I can get the "open command prompt here" option and I haven't been able to get to the file using the command prompt from Accessories. The file isn't where the author of the web site said it is, but I found the path however when I type it into the command prompt I get the "The system cannot find the path specified." I have a wireless keyboard and I did try holding down the function key as well as the shift key but that didn't work either. I'll double check to see if this step is really needed...

4. spirittoo

spirittoo Sergeant

Well is looks like I have to do that step ... I don't understand why I can get that menu ... I am running windows 7 64 bit. I right clicked and held the shift key ... I get the same menu if I don't hold the shift key ... I try holding the shift key, function key and right click still the same menu with no open command prompt. When I go into the command prompt via accessories when I put the path in which is C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Local\Android\sdk ... when I punch that in ... "The system cannot find the path specified. When I have C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Local\Android\sdk\platform-tools>adb devices ... same error. How do I correct this?????

5. Eldon

First click on the folder and then right-click.
    You'll see Open command window here.

BTW What phone do you have? My 2-year old Samsung Galaxy Pocket Neo has 2GB device memory.

6. spirittoo

spirittoo Sergeant

Okay ... I figured it out ... I was trying with the file and not the folder ... :rolleyes: I have a Gowin 8M ... but it only has 100 mb of storage ...

7. spirittoo

spirittoo Sergeant

New problem ... I gave it the command that was on the site ... "adb shell pm setInstallLocation 2" and I punch it in and get this message ... "Error: unknown command 'setInstallLocation' ... then I get a long list of data .... I made sure I copied it correctly in the command.:(

8. Eldon

When the Command Prompt window opens, did you first run the adb devices command? Did you see your phone?

9. spirittoo

spirittoo Sergeant

Yes ... I did run the adb devices and I did see my phone listed.

10. Eldon

Well now I'm stumped.
    All I can suggest is to slowly go through the steps again.

BTW Smartphones have 2 types of internal storage - System and USB.

11. spirittoo

spirittoo Sergeant

Someone stated that I need to find the command my phone will understand but I don't know how to do that.

12. Eldon

I don't know what that means.
    How-to Geek states: "This tweak requires Android 2.2 or later." So the problem is not with your phone running Android 4.2.2.

Edit:
    Try changing adb shell pm setInstallLocation 2 to adb shell pm set-install-location 2.

13. spirittoo

spirittoo Sergeant

Well sir ... that command worked ... but when I tried to move apps to the SD card the option was still grayed out.:eek:

14. spirittoo

spirittoo Sergeant

Oh wow ... I just discovered something ... I've been trying to install the app "hangouts" and I tried installing again because I installed an app and it when to the SD card I can now install apps there ... so I tried installing hangouts .... and found it is 25MB and I had 43MB on the internal storage and it is still telling me insufficient space ... so I would think something is up with hangouts ... what say you?o_O

15. Eldon

Just to be sure, can you now install apps on the SD card?
    I'm not familiar with Hangouts.
    Some apps will not install to the SD card, just like some programs cannot be made portable to run from a memory stick. And the Android OS will reserve memory to work.

16. spirittoo

spirittoo Sergeant

I was able to install google map ... youtube ... facebook messenger ... google voice and GPS map ... to the SD card ... I was not able to install google play needed to view youtube videos ... gave the same error about insufficient space ... I can't see the file size so I don't know why it wouldn't do it ... I could not get The Weather Channel app to install Accuweather ... same error ... Don't know the file size of those apps either, but I know I had enough internal storage to download Hangouts. Some apps are installing on the SD card ... some not.:rolleyes:

17. Eldon

Well this was a tough one.
    At least you could install most of the apps on the SD card.

18. spirittoo

spirittoo Sergeant

Yes ... but I need google play service so google voice and youtube will work but I'm getting the storage error message ... and no information on how big those files are ... any ideas how to get that to install? It seems like the smaller files under 10mb don't have any problems.

19. Eldon

Quote:
    "Some apps will not install to the SD card, just like some programs cannot be made portable to run from a memory stick."

I have no idea how big those apps are - I don't use anything from Google.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds