Considering This New Machine, Comments Please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by timebuilder, May 1, 2023.

1. timebuilder

timebuilder Private E-2

I will try to be concise.

I was going to build a new machine at my own cost, for home use. I mentioned it to my boss, and he said that he would buy me a new machine. The catch is that the Co will not pay for "parts" that I would use for a new build, so it has to be an off-the-shelf tower.
    The boss suggested Staples, and I said no...Best Buy.
    I showed the parts list to the kid in the computer section, and he came up with this:
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberp...3060-ti-1tb-ssd-black/6533263.p?skuId=6533263

I'm not a gamer, but I DO want to be able to run Adobe Premier or something like it.
    I also would miss the old Win XP feature of the "filmstrip" view of pictures in a folder. I have not found an add-on that will do that, and I am thinking of making a copy of my old drive to an additional NVMe for this machine, like the Crucial that I was going to use for the build so I can boot into XP for times when I need to handle the photos on the mass drive, accessible from both boot programs.
    The kid told me that the machine I am looking at has the slot for the additional boot SSD, and I also want to have my old SATA drives available for retrieval of old docs. He says there are ports on the board to handle that.

With this context:
    Is this a good machine that will stand up and perform as described?
    What kind of additional software do I need to make the OS choice available at startup?

Any helpful comments?

I can't turn down his offer to buy the machine, but I want to have it do these things.

2. harmless

harmless Staff Sergeant

sorry this is a bit tardy, i would think that computer would handle adobe premier easily.
    looks like a nice computer, actually.
    i don't know about booting it with win xp though. it's a 64bit computer, and most windows xp computers were 32bit.
    and i doubt that win xp would have have any of the necessary drivers for the hardware.
    instead, i would use a virtual machine for windows xp, either virtual box or vmware,
    both OS's would then be available to you at the same time, and in theory, you could drag and drop files between them.
    well good luck with it, shiny new computers are always nice.

3. timebuilder

timebuilder Private E-2

Thanks for your reply. For a while there, I thought this was just getting recreational reads.

I wasn't sure if Xp had a 64 edition, but the virtual machine seems like a good bet. I will keep that in mind.

Thank you again for your reply.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds