Edge

Discussion in 'Software' started by TimW, Oct 15, 2023.

1. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Spent an hour trying to stop/remove edge because it's stopping my access to any browser...nowin the search box I have a wheel chair and twin boxes /images of edge...both open edge!!

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Hi Tim, have you got Edge set as your default browser? If so, are you able to change it and reboot?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2023
  3. TimW

No. IMG_20231015_134938.jpg

4. Earthling

The search bar says it IS the default. See if you can try to set the one you want. In Win 11 type 'default' in search.

5. TimW

No... IIRC, I have Chrome a

6. TimW

I set Chrome as default....didn't change my search bar.

7. Earthling

You only get those icons on the search bar when Edge is the default browser

8. TimW

I changed it to Chrome....didn't make a difference.

9. TimW

None of the suggestion, even through an internet search work....I guessI should justtape over the search box.

10. TimW

Even the guys at Bleeping computer don't have a clue.

11. Earthling

Looks like you are stuck with it pro tem. I'll come back if I can find anything but not even too sure atm how my own search bar gets changed as I had the Edge one for a while and can't even get it back now!

TimW likes this.
  12. Goddess Bastet

Goddess Bastet Master Sergeant

If it’s a case of removing the icons from search have you tried right clicking the search bar>Search & deselecting show search highlights?

13. TimW

I've ended up hiding the seach box.

14. Goddess Bastet

Goddess Bastet Master Sergeant

That works too. :)

TimW likes this.
  15. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

Yeah, that's the Windows 11 built-in taskbar search widget, it seems to be hard wired to Bing. Searches from that widget seem to use and launch your default browser. This is supposedly a list of serach engines to choose from the Taskbar settings.../Privacy and Security/Search permissions. It seems that this search is tied into the OS to search your files.

This is similar to the behaviour that MS introduced by building in Internet Explorer into the desktop OS in earlier incarnations of Windows, until an anti-trust ruling meant they had to revise that built-in: United States v. Microsoft Corp. - Wikipedia. Guessing MS are trying to squash other search engines in favour of theirs and their chatbots (Co-Pilot, etc.).

TimW likes this.
  16. A1phaG33k

A1phaG33k Private First Class

Go into msconfig, or services, and stop edge from starting at boot up, then reboot. Have no idea if that will work, but it is what I would try.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds