Folding@Home running commentary thread

Discussion in 'Software' started by goldfish, Sep 18, 2004.

1. eric06

eric06 Sergeant Major

congrats glenn on breaking 7000 points. you should try fishing one day it is really relaxing.

eric

2. butterfly123

butterfly123 Private E-2

Hi all!
    I'm finally at 99%......expect to send in my first WU within the next hour or so.....I'd begun to think I wouldn't make it.....between slow computer, power outages, computer woes.......etc, etc........
    If there are any last minute "to-do's", please let me know now.
    See you on the boards!!
    butterfly123

3. eric06

eric06 Sergeant Major

nope, no last minute to do's as long as you have a active internet connection. congrats on your first completed WU. :D i was proud after my first one.

eric

4. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

Glad to hear,,, once you send in unit, It will take untill the next update of the Stanfords, Webpage to view your points on thier site,,,,. Exciting the first unit is indeed,:)

Let us know how it goes !!!, any glitches, we are here,,
    @ Eric, no fishing for me,,,,and thanks for the congrats,,,Glenn

5. butterfly123

butterfly123 Private E-2

YEAH!! I finally made it!!! :D !!!!!
    They've even got me listed already!! :cool:

New WU downloaded just fine and it's chugging away......wow, this one's going to take forever to get done!!!!.......

Last edited: Oct 10, 2004
  6. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

Butterfly,,at the beginning of any cycle the time is off,,need to finish the first frame to have proper calculation to the final date,,PS your panel should show 1 WU complete,,,if it does not show up on stanfords site,,on RARE occasions the unit is held in Qurere, and will send in,,,not to worry..you can also take a look at the log file,,will tell you thanks for your contributations,,,,this means the unit DID send in,,,,if says holding in qurere,,,Please let me know and will advise how to FORCE unit into stanford,,,CONGRATULATIONS on your first WU,,,Glenn

7. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

8. butterfly123

butterfly123 Private E-2

9. Anon-15281db623

Anon-15281db623 Anonymized

Does anyone know where i can get the older graphical client for windows 2k/xp?

I have 5.02 and all i am getting is Gromacs. This is killing my score. Before i formated i had an earlier version, and i was loaded with tinkers, and flew to the top.

:cool:

cooked

10. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2013
  11. mgrist

mgrist Private Weapons

Bluesman just passed cooked to regain the lead by 46 points woooohooo go guys!!! Njal just broke 10,000 and 100 WU's and CP just got 100 WU's.
    Keep on crunching guys we will get to the top 100 sooner then later.

And by tomorrow bluesman and overcooked will be in the 10,000 club

12. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

Mgrist,, Its Nice to have Howard Cosell back in action with the blow by blow comentary,,its neet that your keeping track,,,,,but your posts are very amusing,,,I broke 7000 points for the silly record LOL,,,,Glenn

13. Anon-15281db623

Arrg :mad:

With these Gromacs i keep getting passed up!

cooked

14. eric06

eric06 Sergeant Major

i keep dropping in my rank. damnit this think can't chug em any faster i don't think.

eric

15. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

Cooked,,,give some thought to the 5.03 for XP,,,its beta,,,but fixed alot of bugs in 5.02,,,if you really need the older version,,I will go on the hunt LOL...Glenn

can be set to pull tinkers !!!

16. Anon-15281db623

So the beta can pull only tinkers?

Thanks Glenn

cooked

17. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

It can be set to either ,,,I keep on standard,,,,and I keep pulling LARGE gromacs,,150-200 points each,,,deadlineless will pull tinkers

18. Anon-15281db623

Cool!

Thanks Glenn. Once i finish this Gromac I will install the Beta version. :)

cooked

19. mgrist

mgrist Private Weapons

I try and keep up, not alot of time here latly. I saw that you were moving up also (congrats) but you had mentioned it earlier so I didn't bring it back up. I thought about (silly me) changing my name in folding and just starting another run for the top just so I could be in the race so to speak. But with basic equaling my output and already at 10,000 or so I'd never catch him or even get close so I decided that being in first isn't all that bad :D
    Have a good day all, see you in the funny papers.

20. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

Mgrist, I'm just pokin ya in the ribs buddie,,,alls good,,,I have been overtaken,,,back to #10 for me,,but I have 400 points going intoday to pick up my lead at least for the moment,,,a tinker off dads machime,,241 points,,and the first unit off my friends computer,,,155 point gromac,,,slowly creeping ahead,,,but indeed,,many producing faster then us, Glenn

21. rmsubasic

rmsubasic XP-38 Spacemodulator

Actually, I'm working very hard to catch you, but am still struggling for enough horsepower. Alas, I may have to invoke the secret weapon soon. :cool:

22. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

UPDATE,,You all better be shaking in your shoes LOL..I have dug out of the closet one of my first pentium class computers...a IBM Aptiva 120mhz:rolleyes: ,,,,WOW,,,look out all,,,,hehehehe,:p ,,but as it goes,,every extra WU,,,counts for our team:) ,,,,,and after sitting in the closet for about 7 years,,the thing powered right up,,,and I created a dial up account,,,and the ONLY program on it is FOLDING,,,,BEWARE all,,I should get a WHOLE WU a month out of the supercharged BOX :p ...LOL,,,Glenn:)

Computer # 7 to the Cause,,,,on this end,,,2 primary,,, the other 5 ,,chugging along...Glenn

PRIMARY:

1)P4 2.8mhz HT 1 gig DDRSRAM
    2)AMD 2500 256 Ram

SECONDARY

3)P3 333MHZ 256 RAM
    4)P3 333MHZ 128 RAM
    5)P2 266MHZ 128 RAM
    6)P2 266MHZ 128 RAM
    7) and finely the latest monster :p 120MHZ 64 RAM Aptiva

if you add all of the smaller together ,3-7 ,LOL you get one more primary:p ,,LOL....Glenn:)

23. jarcher

jarcher I can't handle a title

you are truely a dedicated super-geek ,glenn
    lol :bigfriggngrin:

24. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

Hey Archer,,if I did this 2 months ago,,I could have 2 more units complete,,LMAO,,,Glenn

25. eric06

eric06 Sergeant Major

i don't know glenn, u sure that thing can turn out a WU a month? :D :p ;)

eric

26. mgrist

mgrist Private Weapons

Now you know I can't let that happen :D I built my little girl a 1.7 P-4 and my little boy has a 1600 AMD (they live with their mother) and I'm trying to figure out a way to get them a internet connection, safly. I don't want either on the net, but if I can figure out a way I'll get their computers crunching. Plus now that I have a place for another computer I'm liable to just throw another together. So don't start catching up you'll just cost me money :D:D:D:D:D :p

27. mgrist

mgrist Private Weapons

Overcooked is in the lead by 10 points over bluesman

28. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

Hey im in my own little race,,,in 9th,,last I checked with a 241 point tinker have in,,,and another 150 points by nights end,,,and another 200 points by tomorrow,,,goad to stay in 9th place...or even in 10th,,,to be in top 10, Glenn

29. mgrist

mgrist Private Weapons

Well I'm not even going to mention that I passed

40,000 POINTS

Because tomorrow I'll have

500 wu's

so I'll bring it up then, if I remember :D

30. rmsubasic

Arghhh! You may be safe for another week or two. I've gotten too bogged down at work to implement my secret plan…for now. Grats on the huge new milestones (40k pts, and 5000 WU!!!!). I can only aspire to your greatness – well, I can also plot, plan and procrastinate! :rolleyes:

31. butterfly123

butterfly123 Private E-2

:) :) WOW!!!! :) :)

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Good Job!!

32. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

Basic,,,no need to worry I unleashed the 120mhz at him LMAO:p ,,,Glenn

33. Anon-15281db623

Ok Glenn. I have the beta version installed. I droped a 25,000 frame Gromac just now. :)

What exactly do i have to set to bring in tinkers?

Thanks

cooked

34. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

those huge gromacs throw off great points,,and run fast !!! its probably set to standard on the config , andvanced tab,,,deadlinless will bring tinkers,,,but stanford is now doing a series of LARGE gromacs,,a secound run of them so more frames,,,more comples ,,,and more points !!! I have had my p4 SET ON STANDARD,,AND iM CRANKING OUT UNITS,,,ALL SCORING WELL,,,,GLENN

35. Anon-15281db623

Thanks Glenn! I am going to play around and see what kind of work unites i get in the next week or so.

Thanks

cooked

36. eric06

eric06 Sergeant Major

yeah i just turned in a 400 frame tinker that took most of the weekend. working on a 400 frame tinker now, hopefully i can start pulling in gromacs that will run fast on my machine, put the deadlines back to standard. hopefully gromacs will boost my points a little.

eric

37. Anon-15281db623

Way to go Mgrist!!

I also completed a goal today!

cooked

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2013
  38. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

Congrats to all.....My friends computer did not send in last night,,im bumped to 11th place,,I will recover,,have a 200 point gromac going in th 40 min,,,and a trip to friends house to get his unit to dump in as well,,,also my den computer will turrn in a unit tomorrow or early thursday morning,,,We are gettting ready for wifes surgery tomorrow,,,so I may be a little scarce on the boards for a few days,,hospital has wifi,,,so I will be on during my 3 hr NEARVOUS WAIT...also later in the day,,,to give a post op update to aqll,,,Speak soon, Glenn

39. rmsubasic

Very best wishes for you and the missus. Quick recovery for all involved is my hope.

40. eric06

eric06 Sergeant Major

congrats to mgrist and cooked.

glenn best of luck with your wife surgery, may God bless her and guide the hands of the staff. i'll be waiting for the post-op report.

eric

41. mgrist

mgrist Private Weapons

I just broke into the top five thousand folders :) Out of 383,307 people folding I am in 4,991st place, cool.
    I need to get my kids computers folding there is no doubt about it.

42. hulkster

hulkster HULK SMASH!

I'm a newcomer to MajorGeeks ... and would love to join your team ... but I already have the powder2glass Folding@Home team with a 50-day CPU average of about 60 ... so we ain't doing too shabby! ;-)

Bottom line is we ALL win, since this is for a good cause ... so keep spreading the word about Folding@HOME.

43. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

A warm welcome to the MG site hulkster !!!!:) , Yes all win with folding at home glad to have you aboard as a MG member !!, Glenn

PS if so inclined you can always add all those CPU's to our team ;) LOL,,(JOKE)...glad you are doing so well !!!!

@Mgrist,,congrats buddie,!!! ,,,I just broke the 8000 point mark,,and have a unit going in today one tomorrow morning,,and 5 others in the loop, Glenn:)

44. hulkster

hulkster HULK SMASH!

Thanx for the welcome Glenn.

Hey, want to join the powder2glass team - LOL here too! ;-)

Seriousely, we're #5 for Google Computers (and just about to pop into the #4 spot) ... so we are working that angle - our typical Folder is my mom so we are using the Google Toolbar which makes it real simple/easy for 'em, whereas you guys are using the FAH client ... which is better for a number of reasons.

45. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

LOL NAAAAA Ill stick around here,:p ,,hehehe,,yes the tool bar thingie,,is easy,,and yes clients here,,but all good,,,all of us are ramping up,,adding systems left and tight,,and making our own strides,,Glenn:)

PS congrats on the new born !!!

46. smokinbls

smokinbls the title thing is overrated

don't forget that we have moved up from team rank 1500 to team rank 322 in less than 6 months. everyday we seam to be moving up, but we will hit a wall soon, i think, but hay it is fun to see how far we have gone and how far we have to go..............

47. rmsubasic

There was some talk in the past about making into the top 100 by Christmas. That is not going to happen, but our progress is great. I estimate that we'll be at about 170 by Christmas. We'll all have to keep adding and keep recruiting if we really want the to get to the top 100.

I am feeling very left behind by mgrist, and lots of pressure from below, so I am forced to do some upgrading. Primary 2 is shifting from an AMD 2500 to a 3200, and then adding the 2500 as a new secondary. Should be done by the end opf this weekend. We'll see if thet helps me to catch the gristmeister!

48. mgrist

mgrist Private Weapons

Get used to the feeling of being left behind HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE :D
    Actually you seem to be keeping up pretty good, not catching up mind you but keeping up. We would be neck and neck if we had started at the same time I think. I've been keeping an eye on you, and now I see that you are adding more fire power. You force me to do the same, although I'm not sure how yet. But have no fear a fool and his money are soon parted :D:D:D:D

49. smokinbls

smokinbls the title thing is overrated

this is to true
    friends of mine have been asking why i feel the need to go out and spend 1200 dollars on 4 new computers. they all think 1 computer is enough.
    my response is the more the merreor ( i cna't spell for shat )

so now you all know what my christmas preasent to my self will be.....4 new puters and a switch for the monitors...i think i can connect 4 towers to 1 monitor with the right switch.

this all would make 7 computers 4- 2.5 mghz cellerons, 1- p.4 2.8, 1 -700mghz celleron, and if i can get this p.2 900mghz to fricking work that would make 7 all folding ( and of course downloading as much music as i can.)

50. mgrist

mgrist Private Weapons

I've got five (was six) computers all connected to the same monitor-mouse and keyboard and all connected to the internet. I've got two four port KVM switches connected together. One of them was in my closet getting ready to be thrown out. It's a mechanical one and isn't worth a crap and never will be. It controls the two computers I use the least so I don't have to deal with it to much. All this to say get a good switch when you do get one. Let us know your progress on the new computers.
    I was, well tried to get a computer on credit. I'm making a bunch of money and really don't have any bills but my credit is still a mess from the divorce so that avenue is out. I could use a good laptop :D For work of course not just to Fold on:rolleyes:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds