Go Clever netbook/Android 2.3

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets - Hardware' started by Capt.Crow, Aug 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow Private E-2

:cry:cry Taking a small step into the future .In got a brand new Goclever netbook for my teen son . So that he could at least be on a par with his peers in the wifi cafe,s. Suddenly the girlies noticed the geek..:-D:-D:-D
    The specs are :-
    CPU infoTMIC iMAPx210 1GHz (ARM11,GPU GC600)
    OS Android2.3
    Int.Mem. 4gb MLC NAND flash
    WiFi 802.11 b/g.
    LAN 10/100Mbit
    Cam .3Mpix
    HDMI mini 1.3 out
    E-book pdf/epub/txt/fb2/pdb/rtf
    Phot jpeg/bmp/gif/(static)/png
    Aud mp3/wma/wav/ogg/aac
    Vid avi/3gp/mp4/rm/rmvb/mkv/mov
    Bat 5200mAh 7.4v lithium-ion
    Screen 10in TFT-Lcd,1024x600pxls
    system files are stored on int mem 2gb(hidden)
    usbx4
    hdmi x1
    tf card x1 micro slot
    eth x1
    :yum:yum:yum
    They came on the market this year and I thought that it was good value for circa$200 here.
    Less than two months and it has crashed to black screen. (sleep mode Just like rip van winkle)

Thinking that the system files corrupted so need replacing.
    Android2.3
    Guideance is needed here .
    I have a usb card reader . So I need to find a way to d/load a new set to the sd card .This needs to be able to open the bios(if any) format the int mem and self install.

I have already searched the interweb for 3 days sadly to no avail.
    So If there is any info to be had it will be here .
    Sorry post so long . Cheers and beers to all
    The old crow

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

3. Hedon James

Hedon James Sergeant

4. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

My Android has the abilty to reboot by holding certain keys down at the same time. I then can reset the OS. The manual may tell you how to reboot.

5. Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow Private E-2

:) As the lad is back at college on thursday . I took him and the netbook to the supplier (100 miles to another town )
    While there the guy couldn't do enough for us . He reinstalled the os from a micro chip .It worked like an install CD.
    He also promised to post me a chip with the installer and files on it .for a backup.
    He tried to make a copy there and then but his windows os will not co-operate with Android.
    When I get the chip I will try to upload a copy here in case some one else needs them or would like to play with the code.
    But I have the feeling they will only transfer/open with a linux os..

Many thanks for your replies
    The old Crow :highfive

6. Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow Private E-2

7. Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow Private E-2

The man pages are very sparse. Even the Polish copy has no more than the English version.
    The book is made in China under license
    from a Polish company.

I have to say its fast .Picks up wifi almost anywhere is light and easy on the eye and pocket.
    I guess it will get beyond (beta) very soon.

:wave

8. Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow Private E-2

Hi Hedon James. I looked into the ice scream 4 . Oddly enough we got a Wind earlier on after swimbo dropped her Acer into a puddle .

Crow

lol

9. plodr

Explain that.
    I've seen OS stored on CDs, DVDs, external hard drives, USB sticks, and sd and sdhc cards but never on a chip.
    How did he "attach" the chip to the netbook?

10. Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow Private E-2

Hi there is a tiny slot on the side that takes the micro card. The other way is to use a micro adapter and 2.0 usb card reader .
    Yes it had me :confused fooled:-o to start with until I saw the tiny slot.:-D

11. BoredOutOfMyMind

Ahhh microsd!

Odd the shop could not reproduce the card for you.

12. plodr

It isn't hard to copy the contents of an sdhc or an sdhc card (normal or micro) to another using Windows Explorer.
    I have the contents of my mp3 player (SanDisk Clip+) backed up to a micro sdhc card.

Tell the shop that you want the reinstall of the OS on an sdhc card for yourself so you don't have to drive 100 miles when there is a problem. (Tell them you'll even supply the card, you just want a copy).

13. BoredOutOfMyMind

I would ask them to post the copy as the 200 mile drive is too far for economics. Unless going to the same locale for other matters. :confused

14. Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow Private E-2

Yes I was a bit surprised .The guy put his micro(chip in paddyland) in the holder on his shop pc ,got the request to format (panicked) closed the prompt and took the card out .
    If I hadn't been so wasted after the drive I would most likely have come up with a simple work around . Maybe straight disc to disc to a cd . .
    Q .To save a lot of faffin about is there a way I can back up what is on the book to a micro sd.
    and make it self installing
    Q can this be done by d/loading 4.0(icecream)off the net.to a mcsd.

In order to do this I will have to use a tire iron to prize it out of his sticky little fingers.

The best thing about all this is that he installed antivirus and d/load checker. Finally .
    The more care he shows the nearer I will get to recinding the ban on him using my pride and joy:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D

15. plodr

I don't know Android OS so I can't tell you what you'd do. (I have a dumb phone and my netbooks run windows or linux so I use Acronis True Image to clone BUT that, I don't think, would work on an android system).

16. BoredOutOfMyMind

Is the laptop running ICS or a lower version of Android like Gingerbread?
    not all Linux upgrades are needed and sometimes will break certain applications depending on what has been set in the kernel you are using now.
    Will he allow you to watch how he does the recovery, including the keys to press at reboot?

17. BoredOutOfMyMind

Capt Crow. There is an ICS download page from GoClever.

Android 4 for TAB A73 and A103

Be Brave Young Skywalker! This is not for EVERY GoClever made....

18. plodr

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  19. Hedon James

Hedon James Sergeant

Referencing my previous post regarding the YouTube tutorial for Android on netbooks, I noticed one of the requirements was the program UNetbootin, which I have used to make bootable USB drives, assuming your netbook has a USB port.

I have also used this to make an SD a "Flash Drive" to replace firmware to hack an old Pandigital bookreader into an Android tablet, but that's been awhile...not sure I remember how I did that. What I DO KNOW, is that UNetbootin wants an ISO image, so if you can create an ISO of your existing GoClever, or get your hands on an Android ISO, you should be able to do what you want to!

Assuming you have a USB port, can you "mount" your GoClever as an external drive on your desktop box? If you can, you should be able to create an ISO image of your "GoClever drive", but I have not done this before; someone smarter than me will have to fill in the gap here.

Alternatively, do you know who manufactures the hardware in your GoClever? If I were you, I'd match the Android build options from the YouTube video with your GoClever hardware manufacturer.

As a third alternative, check out this website, but it seems "hit or miss" and likely a "generic" version of Android...although still good info:

http://www.offlineblog.net/2009/07/...-cd-or-usb-how-to-create-android-live-cd-usb/

Lastly, perhaps I should've started with this one: have you considered contacting the GoClever manufacturer via their website? Based on prior postings below, it seems they have custom Android images available, just not the one for your device. Inasmuch as Android is a free OS, I can't imagine why they wouldn't make an ISO available to you in order to restore your system...especially considering the hardship of a 200 mile trip for service!

There's an answer for you in here somewhere, but you'll need to make some choices and run it down from there. Good luck!!

20. Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow Private E-2

Looks good .. I will try that asap. Trouble is The Git will not let me have it now that its working again. He takes it to college and hides it when its not with him.. However He has to be lucky all the time .Me just once .:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D

I have bookmarks those links for future reference. Cheers.

PS Just discovered Four Roses ...Hic. Best Am Wsky so far Hic

21. Furnall

Furnall Private E-2

Hello!
    I have a GoClever I102 and I seem to have the same problem. Could you please upload the software here?
    Thank you in advance!

22. Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow Private E-2

Hi, Furnall .
    I never did get the chip posted to me .So as the book never let him down again after he installed the antivirus for Android ,I didn't follow it up.. The company I bought it off is "electrodirect" Google them .They are in Athlone Ireland . Sling them an e-mail and they may put you on the right track..

I have the feeling that you must be running a Linux box to d/load the os . to a micro sd card .

I have been trying to get a response from the Linux forums . But no luck so far ..

Still haven't been able to get the book out of his sticky little fingers . So cant get into it to see what the bones are .

If you are not sorted out yet I will do more research into the subject . Just post reply here and I will get notification
    Sorry cant be more help just yet ..

23. todtod

todtod Private E-2

- I've just bought a GoClever Netbook R103 with the Android "Ice Cream Sandwich" OS. If I plug in a USB stick it does not recognise it and open the picture files (Jpegs). But when I unplug it, it says storage removed, so it knew it was there. Its like I need to switch on the USB ports or something - Any ideas out there? Thanks for reading.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds