Hard drive making moaning sounds

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KathyM, Oct 8, 2008.

1. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

Yahfrikkinhooooo!!!!!!!

I went to best buy and bought some thermal goo and put it on the cpu and then put the new heatsink in and VIOLA!!!!!!! My hard drive finally got satisified!!!!! No more moaning!!!!!! :-D Damn I'm good :-D

On a serious note - I want to thank absolutely everyone that has stood behind me with this problem and shared their knowledge and guided me.....Wassim I took your advice and stepped back....took a deep breath and did it!!!! Fred G thanks again......and to the jokster:-D thanks for the great laugh....I certainly needed it!!!!

You guys are the best!!!!! Hugs and kisses to all you guys!!!!!

2. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Glad you got it fixed! Now I don't have to google that long part number and go looking around for a manual to see what that plate thingy is for! :-D

I think I will stay out of the 'moaning' part of the thread. Moaning, thermal goop, satisfied, hard drive.... yep, I am so not going there!

Good job getting it fixed KathyM! And no Dell tech standing beside you...

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  3. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Excellent to see another empowered by this forum and not impoverished by deceptive salesmen/technicians ;) and as you will come to appreciate it is so much more rewarding when you do it yourself.

If you ever need to apply a TIM again in the future (I refresh our systems at least once to twice a year) here is a very good guide:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=170&Itemid=1

You can see I modded the method slightly and plastic wrapped my finger then applied a small amount of TIM and and spread out a very thin layer over the CPU IHS (or SB/NB IHS, have a look at pic 6 for an example):

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...oling-project-101-lowered-cpu-load-9-10c.html

Some will disagree with my method but if you understand the "principal" of what the TIM is doing then it is fine and you do not need to "over complicate" the application. I just put a small amount and then worked it back and forth many times leaving just a very thin layer.

4. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

Thank you Fred.......it is a shame that this thread will now go into cyberspace.....I have to admit that I did not even think about the title until someone made a joke about it....:-D I am glad that it made people laugh and the posts sure made me laugh, especially at a time where I really needed a laugh......:-D Many thanks for all the help!! KathyM

5. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

You are sooooo right!!!! It felt so good that I did it by myself :) I am so glad that I found this forum - I reference it all the time. I have bookmarked the links you gave me - thank you .......and thank you again for all your help!! KathyM

6. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Fred was the main man, I was just walking in his shadow although I'm a little madder, extreme and extroverted I still bow to Fred. Recognition were recognition is due.

7. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

Being a "private first-class" I bow to all :-D

I also hear that Aussies are extreme, extroverted and madder :-D

Have a great weekend!!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds