How Can I Copy Out And Restore Chrome Profile Not Using Sync ?

Discussion in 'Software' started by DBenz, Jul 16, 2022.

1. DBenz

DBenz Private First Class

Hi,
    Power off. I will be removing the SSD C drive with chrome on and win7 64bit pro, inserting a new SSD, installing win 10 pro 64 bit. Then Installing Firefox, then installing Chrome (which needs a browser to seek the installer out !)
    I cannot see anywhere on the internet how to backup the user settings , plugins, profiles bookmarks etc to a location of my choosing then reinstate them into the new SSD.

Its forever on about sync between old and new PC, I am not with a second PC, its the same one, .

I want a file or files I can copy paste back in !

DBenz

2. Anon-e88bcb5f0b

Anon-e88bcb5f0b Anonymized

Chrome and Firefox customizations work the same way in that everything is saved under one folder. Copy over that one folder; and voila, you've migrated all your customizations. Chrome:

C:\Users\Your User Name\AppData\Local\Chrome\User Data

So, save the entire 'User Data' folder.

In my case, I switched over from years of using Chrome over to Firefox about four or so years ago and never looked back! Googling to make sure Chrome still works the same, I came across a spew that there is a second step of copying one register key as well. You can read more here, under 'manual transfer' section.

Finally, while it's true that you will still be on the same computer, but just swapping out hard drives, you are still going to be reinstalling apps and migrating data from one drive to another - and the proceses are similar.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2022
  3. DBenz

DBenz Private First Class

Hi,
    many thanks.
    I am a bit cautious and not familiar with exporting registry, or even dabbling with it, it can mess up bigtime.
    However I browse using regedit to the address HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Google\Chrome\PreferenceMACs
    I select the folder PreferencesMAC and select ' file >export 'and name it Chrome registry PreferenceMACs and save it to my usb where all goodies for this build are going, in a named folder for chrome.
    Q1. is it ok to name it as such ?
    I see that folder had a default folder and more within it, so saving the PreferencesMAC would have captured all within I presume.

I am puzzled though by the instructions that say:
    3. Move the drive to the new computer.
    4. On the new computer, copy all of the files in the “User Data” folder from your portable media to “C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\”
    5. Double click on the registry key that, in step 2, you saved to the portable media device.
    6. Now, download and install Chrome, and launch it.

Q2. Is this approach correct ? ?
    I am going to have a new SSD on same PC. The address at 4 wont exist, I need to install Chrome, then copy over the User Data folder replacing existing,
    then double click the regis key.
    or do I copy paste the contents incase there are files in there different and additional to win7 user data folder ?

should that key be pasted to C drive or is it ok to be on a usb HDD before double clicking ?

DBenz

4. Anon-e88bcb5f0b

Anon-e88bcb5f0b Anonymized

In both cases, you are adding what you have in your present computer/SSD to your new computer/SSD. If a specific key or folder already exists in your new SSD, then completely replace it with the old.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds