How Do You Start A Conversation?

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by aardvark_65, Dec 13, 2019.

1. aardvark_65

aardvark_65 Private E-2

I'm probably missing something blindingly obvious, but how do you start a conversation with another member?

When I hover the mouse over my member name at the top RH corner of a forums screen it gives a list of things I can do, including "conversations". If I click on conversions it gives me a screen where it lists any existing conversations, but there doesn't seem to be any way to start a new conversation (?)

Tim

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Look at the top right.
    Conversation_2.jpg

Or click the member's name and click Start a Conversation.
    Conversation_1.jpg

DavidGP likes this.
  3. aardvark_65

aardvark_65 Private E-2

Neither of those options work for me.

I'm still trying to work out how to include a screen print in a post to show you what I get. If I click on the "image" button it wants a URL, and I haven't got a personal web site...

4. Eldon

At the bottom right of your post, click Upload a File.
    Upload.jpg

5. aardvark_65

aardvark_65 Private E-2

I worked it out - Ctrl-V. I was looking for something more complicated

Neither of those options work for me

I get this at the top RH part of the screen, i.e. no "start a new conversation" option
    upload_2019-12-13_19-31-20.png

If I click on the blue arrow I get
    upload_2019-12-13_19-31-51.png

and if I click on "conversations" there, I get the same thing as clicking on "conversations" as in my first post.

If I click on the member's name, I get (for yours)
    upload_2019-12-13_19-33-13.png

There is no "start a conversation" option there.

And what if I want to converse with a member who hasn't contributed a post to the thread?

6. Eldon

You've been a member since Dec 6, 2019 which is probably why you cannot yet use Conversations.
    Wait for a moderator to reply.

7. aardvark_65

aardvark_65 Private E-2

OK, thanks

8. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

At the top right of the forums....you should see alerts....inbox and your name. Click on inbox and you will see start a conversation. You just need the users name.

9. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

When you click inbox, after a certain number of posts (I don't know how many are required here), you'll see this

conversation.jpg
    You can also click on your username and in the right column see Conversations, which you can click on.
    conversation_profile.jpg

10. jackdashack

jackdashack Private E-2

I do not see Start a Conversation under my name at the top right?

11. jackdashack

jackdashack Private E-2

I guess what I'd be better asking is how to you pose a question to the forum? Is there a waiting time or just what? I must have signed up here long ago. I guesses at an ID and Password and logged me in.

12. aardvark_65

aardvark_65 Private E-2

OK, looks like I can't start a conversation.

If I click on inbox, I get
    upload_2019-12-14_12-17-24.png
    (no "start a new conversation")

If I click on my member name I do get
    upload_2019-12-14_12-19-9.png

But if I click on "conversations" I get
    upload_2019-12-14_12-20-3.png

and there's no option there to start a new conversation

13. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

I don't recall the exact number, but yes, you need to hit a certain number of posts before you can start convo's.

14. jackdashack

jackdashack Private E-2

Are conversations the same as asking a question? I've read around but I'm not seeing that clearly yet. Is it that you have to be acknowledged by the moderator if you are new? This may be the first time I've wanted to ask a question but I signed up in 2013. Can anyone give me clarity on where to post a new question and what does it take to get to be able to? Thanks! jack ":-Dx

15. Eldon

No.
    A conversation is a private message between 2-5 members.
    Look at the sub-forums and select the correct one.
    Example: Click Software and then at the top right click Post New Thread.
    Type a Title followed by your question in the big block, and then click Create Thread. (Don't worry about the other options at this stage.)

LauraR and jackdashack like this.
  16. jackdashack

jackdashack Private E-2

Thanks so much! Jack

17. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Conversations (Private messages) are disabled for new members for the simple reason that we do not want spammers coming on and using the system to spam other members.

plodr and Eldon like this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds