How power supplies should be done

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kodo, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

2. BeerMonkey

BeerMonkey Master Sergeant

Oh wow.
    That would save me allot of space in my comp.
    [​IMG]
    No more hassle of moving the other wires out of the way to install RAM, ETC.

3. NeoNemesis

NeoNemesis Moutharrhea

Is it really that big of a deal though? I mean c'mon, put a little effort into it if you really care lol.

4. nigneil146

nigneil146 Private E-2

5. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

it's not a huge deal, but it IS a nuisance sometimes. It's situationally dependent,but it would be really nice to be able customize instead. Every little bit helps.

6. Jamiko

Jamiko Sergeant

I really like that PSU. Very nice idea and I'll likely buy one for my next build.

7. TechieNTraining

TechieNTraining Private E-2

man, that would make things alot easier when cleaning out the pc. those plus some rounded IDE cables would make for some nice air flow.

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

exactly... less cables to clog up the guts of your PC is a welcome addition to the tidyness and cooling properties.... looks like a winner this idea kodo!

9. ICeMaN

ICeMaN Master Sergeant

:O I want one.... I have no need for that kind of power, but that's an awesome idea!

10. NeoNemesis

NeoNemesis Moutharrhea

Yeah I guess it would be pretty cool, mainly for attractiveness. I mean, if you have window it would be a whole lot better.

11. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

That is a pretty good idea. Excess wires are the most annoying thing about PSUs, and since you have to get reasonably high wattage PSUs for modern performance rigs, you always have a few lines left over. You have to get one. You might as well get one of good quality that you know will be easy to work with.

Given the choice I'd probably still get an Antec TruePower PSU (because I've had lots of success with that line) but this one is pretty tempting.

12. Jamiko

Jamiko Sergeant

13. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

nice catch Jamiko.. sounds like the suppliers are catching on ;)

14. djlowe

djlowe Private First Class

Hi,

Well, it's sure pretty, and its modular nature is neat... but they don't mention a warranty that I could find.

Me, I'll take PC Power and Cooling: http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/power_supplies/highperformance/turbocools/510/index.htm (as one link: Note the explicit warranty statement at the bottom).

5 year warranty... no hassle. I've never had any problems with them over the past 15 years. They tend to be higher priced, but of all of the servers and desktops that I've built using their products over the years I've had but one power supply failure, and that was replaced, cross-shipped, and they ate the overnight charge to do so.

Their power supplies deliver clean, consistent power. Hell, my web browsing PC is using a 230 watt model that is pushing 6 years old, and I expect that it will continue to work for as long as I wish to keep it in service. My main PC's power supply is a PC Power and Cooling model, too - and it's never given me any problems since I built it, either.

Just my opinion.

Regards,

dj

Regards,

dj

15. Jamiko

Jamiko Sergeant

Give it time, I imagine this is a sign of the designs to come from all the big players and then you can choose based on other factors as well.

16. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

17. WobblesRArt

WobblesRArt MajorGeek

I'll ask here as I don't know......does a bigger PS run cooler, because it doesn't have to work as hard?.......wobbles

18. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

TNT, patent that idea (rounded IDE cables), quick, and you''ll make a fortune. Bazza

===

19. Jamiko

Jamiko Sergeant

Those have been available for quite a while now.

20. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

that Ultra PSU does look very nice, and it's a great idea.

I'm using PC Power & Cooling and love the thing for obvious reasons... but extra cables are annoying.

I do happen to know the new manager of PC Power & Cooling (he's my friend's step dad) I wonder if they have any plans of adding cable management like this in the future. Time to run it by him :)

21. Jamiko

Jamiko Sergeant

I've always used Enermax PSUs, but I just took a look at the PC Power & Cooling PSU linked to above. That is some high quality stuff there. Not so pretty, but I am not worried about looks (I don't put see-thru windows in my cases). I hope they consider adding some cable management in the future as I really like that feature of the Ultra and the Antec (and I bet there are some others out there).

22. bigbazza

Jamiko, damn too late.:D Have you a link for rounded IDE cables? Would like to check it out. Other MG 'ers would probably be interested too. One of these days I might build up another PC box. Prefer my laptop for what I use a computer for, though. Laptop does me for simple computing needs. Bazza

===

23. Jamiko

Jamiko Sergeant

http://www.xoxide.com/roundidecables1.html

That's just an example, not a recommendation. They are available from just about any computer shop these days.

24. bigbazza

Thanks for the quick reply. Haven't had to buy hardware for quite a while. Usually only look at the Software sections. Even that is rare nowadays, thanks to MG reviews and members recommendations. bazza

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds