Installing heatsink/fan combo over CPU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Denise_M, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

Ya know? I never saw that on/off switch on the back of my present pc and I had to do a lot of things back there to connect 12 ext hdds, 1 or 2 at a time. I still couldn't tell you that it has one, but it probably does.

2. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

Can anyone tell me in which order I should install the disks for the motherboard, the hdd and Windows?

3. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

First off i already told you you don't need any drivers for CD or DVD drives this includes your BenQ
    Your link above is for Firmware, you don't need it, Period!

Your drive should already have it's firmware
    If you try to reinstall firmware & you don't do it correctly your BenQ will become a Paper Weight

The BIOS guide, you have a setting in your BIOS, you look it up in the Guide, click on the topic it will recommend a setting, it don't get any easier:) unless you just call me & ask directly:D

Most of you default settings will be fine
    Use your mobo guide in combination with the BIOS guide to decide what if any changes you need

By the way I use x64 OS

Nero will be fine for x64, at least version 6 or 7 I know for sure
    Great free Antivirus for x64 is "Avast"
    Anti spyware I run SpywareBlaster, Ad-Aware SE
    Firewall, I use x64's built in as there's no good free one for x64 yet
    I love free apps, especially when they work as good as any you can buy:major

4. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

Ok, no updating drivers for benQ.

What are chipset drivers and where do I get them?
    Do I get the mobo drivers at the Biostar site or will they be on the installation CD?
    When do I use the hdd installation disk or don't I?
    Where do I find Video drivers?
    Do I need audio drivers?

You see, I'm much better with hardware than software and, as you can tell, I wasn't very good with the hardware. . . :rasberry :heli

Denise

5. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

Thanks for all the tips for good programs.

I just checked. I have Nero v6.6.

Denise

6. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

I was just checking my folder for the new pc. I save things in case I need them. I found

Chipset NForce 410_826_WINXP64_ and
    Video GForce 6100_8133_XP64

I can't tell you where I got them, but a guess might be that I got them at MajorGeeks.

What do you think?

Denise

7. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

As ASUS SAID,
    1/ Install windows,
    2/All the drivers for your start up are on the motherboard installation disk, for chipset drivers/ Motherboard drivers,
    3/ then Video drivers,
    4/ I usually install Anti virus, update the antivus, then MS Critical updates, then , Anti spyware,
    Writing software can be installed afterward
    When starting for the first time, it will only need for you to insert the Windows cd into the dvd writer drive,and away you go, as it should tell you what to do, as it goes on.
    Well done . -The rest will seem like chicken fodder.

8. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

Hi baclogic . . .

Thanks for the advice . . . sometimes I gotta see or hear something about building this pc a few times before I catch on.

Hopefully, one of the few last questions I'll have is about the video drivers . . . are they on the Windows installation CD, the motherboard CD, or do I need to download them from someplace?

9. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

All the basic drivers , included vga/graphic drivers are all on the motherboard cd.
    Just load the motherboard cd, as soon as windows has set up.
    When you have everything installed, you can take more advanced steps, and start updating drivers.
    Windows will allocate some basic settings, as it loads up - my advice is to accept Windows suggestions, and then worry about updating any drivers when :
    1/ Windows is installed
    2/ Al lthe motherboard drivers have been installed
    3/ Antivirus has been installed.
    Then update Antivirus, before anything else, because this is the computers most vulnerable time - when you are updating Windows, and other drivers -

10. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

There'll probably be a set that will work on the XP disk but it would probably be a good idea to download the latest from the manufacturers web site.

Well done on what you've achieved so far. :D

11. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

VGA -Video graphis accelerator

12. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

Hi everyone,

I connected my mouse, keyboard and monitor into the new pc, turned it on (in back and in front), but the BenQ wouldn't open when I pressed its button. I have it connected using a ribbon cable that came with either the motherboard or the Seagate hard drive. The pins fit perfectly into the slave port on the motherboard. I tried swapping it with the master cable but the pins are different. I have a power supply cord connected to it also.

When the power button in the rear of the tower is turned on, the LED_5SB light is lit (the system is ready for power on).

When I turned on the front power button, LED_D1 and LED_D2 are not lit (pages 2 and 9 in the manual). The manual says that if the LED_D1 and LED_D2 lights are not lit, it's a CPU/Chipset Error.

LED_5SB is lit, which means that the system is ready for Power-on. LED_DIMM is also lit, which means that the voltage of memory is activated normally.

Located right above the SATA connector, PWRSW1 is lit but RSTSW2 isn't lit. I just checked the manual and PWRSW1 is an onboard power switch button. RSTSW2 is an onboard reset button, but the case didn't have that connector for me to plug in.

How do I determine if it a CPU or a chipset problem?

Denise

13. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Looks like you get the weird problems like I seem to get. I am confused about one part of your post:

I have it connected using a ribbon cable that came with either the motherboard or the Seagate hard drive. The pins fit perfectly into the slave port on the motherboard. I tried swapping it with the master cable but the pins are different. I have a power supply cord connected to it also.

What are you calling the slave and master port on the motherboard?

E

14. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

Hi Fred,

There are 2 ports . . . IDE1 and IDE2. I tried one port then the other but neither worked.

15. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

Uh-oh . . . maybe I did make a mistake. If you have the manual, it's on page 7. The top of page 7 says
    Do you think that's why the cable isn't working for the BenQ? The pins fit perfectly though.

16. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

You should have one floppy, 2 IDE, and a couple of SATA ports on the motherboard. Check your cables again, try to boot it, and if it does not pass the POST, try it with the CD/DVD not connected (just pull the power plug off of it) and tell us what it says.

E

17. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

The same lights light up, with and without the Benq connected.

I just noticed that the light on the BenQ on the front panel doesn't light up when it's connected and I power up.

The blue led light in the front of the case lights up.

18. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

The ribbon cable says Biostar on it so it came with the motherboard.

I do have one floppy, 2 IDE, and a couple of SATA ports on the motherboard. I connected the Biostar ribbon cable to the BenQ and I connected it first to IDE1 then IDE2 but nothing changed.

Could it be that I need a different cable? The BenQ didn't come with a manual or cables.

19. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

I just found the auction page at eBay, where I purchased the BenQ. I don't know if you can open the url, but I can.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSAA:US:11&Item=8814299589

It has a 1 year warranty on it and I bought it last May so if there's a problem with it, I can return it. The only problem I have is that I don't know if the Benq is defective or if I'm having a problem because I didn't connect it properly. The auction page said that a "one year direct" warranty so I have a few months before it expires.

Denise

20. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

A floppy cable has only 34 holes, with one of these blanked off.
    Ahard drive, or dvd rom cable have 40 holes, with one blanked off.
    I assume you have plugged in the 40 hole cable to the DVD.:eek:

21. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Has the cable got a little raised nib, on one side in the centre - Sometimes cables are supplied without this nib, and it is possible, then to fit upside down.

22. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

I would think if the BenQ is not showing a light or opening it is to do with the power side of things not the signal
    double check the power cable is plugged in correctly (do not force any cable on a computer they generally only fit one way)

If you can not get it to work exchange/refund it while you can

the IDE (signal) cable you should be using to connect your BenQ should have 3 ends on it
    blue end - connects to the motherboard
    grey end and the black end are for connecting devices (optical drives, hard drives)

23. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Denise,
    1/Check the power connection is coming directly from the power supply unit, as it is possible that it can be confused with a 4 pin enclosed plug from a fan connection that is not live.Check that the plug has gone home properly, you can only fit it one way, as it has a round edge on one side, to match the same on the DVD.
    2/ If the warning light is telling you of a possible cpu fault, it could well be that the cpu, and heatsink/fan is not seated properly.After checking the other problem, with the DVD, and you have no joy, then check the cpu.
    In plain english, remove the processor, and heatsink, and fan , and carefully check that - the cpu is easily placed into the socket, and clipped down, Then clean, and reapply compound ,and refit heatsink, and fan.

24. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

Hi baclogic,

I connected the 40-pin ribbon cable into the BenQ and IDE1 ports. The fit is perfect on both ends.

The cable can't be fitted upside down because of the blanked off pin (it's located about midway). The ribbon cable can go in only one way. I can switch them around so that the one that I have that's connected to the BenQ can be in the IDE1 port and the one that's in the IDE port can be connected to the BenQ.

Denise

25. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

Hi Shanemail,

I have the power cable plugged into the BenQ properly. Just in case the power cable that I had connected to the BenQ was bad, I tried a different power cable, but there was no change.

The blue end is connected to IDE1 and the black end is connected to the BenQ. The gray end is idle.

26. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

Hi baklogic,

The plug is coming directly from the PSU. They plugs are folded in half and are held together with a rubber band. I kept them that way and removed a connector when I needed it, leaving the rest of them in the rubber band so as not to have a wire mess inside the tower. The power supply plugs can fit in only one way because of the nub. I had to exert some pressure to get the plugs into the port, but they went in easily. For each cable/wire, I take a good look at both ends and the line-up of the pins to make sure that the connector was going to go in the right way. I didn't force any plug/connector into any port because I didn't want to ruin the pins.

I'll remove the CPU and fan/heat sink combo. However, the CPU slid in very easily. To make sure that I had it in the right way, I sat the CPU on top of the pins in all four directions. The CPU did nothing when it was sat on the wrong three directions. When I matched the corners that had triangles on them and placed the CPU on top of the pins, and it just slid right in with the slightest of pressure or almost no pressure.

The fan/heat sink combo can go in only one way also. There's a lever located on one slide that clamps the fan/heat sink and it has to be facing the outside edge of the motherboard. I had a devil of a time pushing the clips down to lock them over the supporter (plastic frame) and it was even harder to get them back on once the supporter was installed. It was almost impossible to unclip and reclip them when I had to remove and reapply a small bit of the compound (when I originally put too much on it), but if this is the only way to find out if the CPU is installed correctly, I'll do it again. But I'm certain it is installed correctly.

I checked, double-checked and even triple-checked the plugs, connectors, the names of the lights, etc, to make sure that I did things the right way and that I gave the forum the correct information.

27. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

Hi,

I contacted BenQ Support Service <Support@BenQ.com> regarding software and cables (which weren't in the box). They told me that the software was Nero, not an installation CD.

I want to be sure that the BenQ is really not working before sending it back with an RMA number and waiting for a new one to arrive.

1. If the CPU and fan/heat sink were installed improperly, would the BenQ then also not work?

2. Also, as I wrote in previous posts, I have the slave cable (blue end) connected to the BenQ and the black end connected to IDE1. Since I don't have a manual, I don't know if other connections are required for the BenQ to work. There are 3 more ports on the BenQ. Is another connection required other than to power and to the motherboard?

3. Could the problem be due to the fact that I used a cable that came with the motherboard and not with the BenQ?

Denise

28. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

Hi again,

I had too many questions about the BenQ unanswered so I called them again. I explained how I had the BenQ connected with the Slave ribbon cable. She told me that it needs to use the Master ribbon cable. I told her that the Master ribbon cable is too wide for the port on the back of the BenQ. She told me that I needed to put a jumper on the next two pins in the next port because, covering those 2 pins, the BenQ will "think" it's connected as master and it should then work. She's going to send me a jumper that will fit those 2 pins but BenQ is in California and I'm in Connectict so it'll take some time before it gets here.

There are 3 ports on the back of the BenQ. I tried to use the 7 pin SATA cable but it wouldn't fit into any port on the BenQ. Do you think there's a possibility that there is an adapter that I can use?

Denise

29. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

Due to the response that I received from BenQ about the need to place a jumper on the 2 pins in the next slot, I was thinking about jumpers. The manual shows a number places for jumpers. I didn't put any jumpers on any of those places. Do I need to?

Denise

30. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Hi Denise,
    You have done well to check all the obvious things, first. You are becoming more knowledgable with every little problem.I will come back to you, as I am going to see what I can find regarding those jumpers on the DVD Writer - it is a new one on me- usually the only jumper is to set it to master, or, slave.
    I should not be long.

31. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I cannot find a picture of the rear of the Benq, but , as someone earlier referred to a phillips DVD Writer, as being identical, there are only the normal points, on the back of the DVD Writer of that model he referred to, as normal.
    When you press your start button, Does your machine :
    1/ Start and the CPU fan runs ?
    2/If you have any other on-board fans, - do they start up , too.
    3/IDE2 is usually the better option to start for DVD Drives, and the ble end should go there.
    4/ The end of the IDE cable is better to use, when only a single DVD Drive is fitted.
    4/ I find setting the little jumper to Master, on the rear of the DVD Drive, is better for writing DVD'S.
    5/ No, the sata cable cannot be installed on the DVD Writer.

32. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Have you an old cd drive, or dvd drive that you can substitute for the benq, to eliminate the DVD Writer from the arguement.
    It could save you a lot of time, as if an ordinary cd rom drive works, then you can start installing windows, and , if prove that it is the Benq, causing the problem, get your RMA, and you can still use your computer, until you get a replacement.

Sometimes the obvious eludes us.

33. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

34. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

1/ Start and the CPU fan runs ? YES

2/If you have any other on-board fans, - do they start up , too. THERE ARE NO OTHER FANS ON-BOARD

3/IDE2 is usually the better option to start for DVD Drives, and the ble end should go there. I SWITCHED THE IDE CABLE AND PLUGGED IT INTO IDE1 AND IDE2 BUT IT DIDN'T MAKE A DIFFERENCE. I ALSO SWITCHED THE IDE CABLE BOTH WAYS, WHERE THE BLUE END WAS PLUGGED INTO THE DVD DRIVE AND PLUGGED INTO THE MOTHERBOARD. NEITHER WAY WORKED.

4/ The end of the IDE cable is better to use, when only a single DVD Drive is fitted. I'M USING ONLY THE 2 ENDS. THE MIDDLE GRAY PORT IS IDLE.

4/ I find setting the little jumper to Master, on the rear of the DVD Drive, is better for writing DVD'S. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THIS MEANS OR HOW TO DO IT. I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT JUMPERS.

5/ No, the sata cable cannot be installed on the DVD Writer. BINGO! THAT MIGHT JUST BE MY PROBLEM. IT'S THE SATA CABLE THAT CAME WITH THE MOTHERBOARD THAT I USED TO CONNECT THE DVD DRIVE.

Would you give me a url for a specific cable for the BenQ? I'd prefer it to be a round cable but if that's not possible, the ribbon cable will be fine. Out of all the thousands of cables at all the websites, I don't know which one to get. When that happens, I usually buy 3 to 5 different kinds and hope that one of them will work.

35. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

I copied and attached a picture of the rear of the DVD drive.

I have the DVD drive connected to the IDE port using the SATA ribbon cable. It's connected to the motherboard's IDE1 port.

The blackened Master port is where I'm to place the jumper when BenQ sends it to me, but right now, the middle 2 pins are covered and I can't get the cover off.

Attached Files:

36. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

The blackened part is most likely the jumper. With the power connected to the BenQ, if you turn on the power and press the eject button on the DVD drive does it open?

Also, does your computer complete the POST? Do you get anything on the screen when you boot it? If you get nothing, try booting it with the DVD drive disconected and see if you get anything the monitor.

Keep the SATA plug away from the DVD drive :).

Good to see you are not giving up. You will figure it out. Oh yeah, like a previous poster said, try it with another CD drive.

E

37. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

I got the jumper off the middle 2 pins and put it on the first 2 pins, so now it's Master, right?

The SATA cable is history.

When I turn on the power and press the eject button, the DVD drive doesn't open. It's the problem I'm having.

I won't give up . . . no way!

I can try it with the CD drive that's in my present computer but it'll take some time.

Does your computer complete the POST? I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THIS MEANS

Now all I have to do is get the correct IDE cable!

But I still have those lights that turn on, which means that my CPU or chipset has a problem.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  38. walter34payton2002

walter34payton2002 Specialist

Hey there. Considering the computer you are using to post here is yours and is a desktop, why not try the DVD/RW drive from it in the new build, or vice-versa? That way you would know if the drive was bad. Even if it is not jumpered correctly, it should still open/close and have power. You should remove all the other jumpers and just jumper it as master. I would at least try another drive, if possible, to know if it was an issue with the BenQ, at least.

39. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Looks like you may have multiple problems. POST is the Power On Self Test. Your computer does a quick check of things before booting. If something critical is bad: CPU, RAM does not pass, no boot. Do you see anything on the monitor when you turn the computer on?

I would not worry about the DVD drive right now. You need to get the computer to start up before you can install your OS anyway. Try it with no DVD drive, and see if you see anything on the screen.

E

40. walter34payton2002

Oh ok, Fred. I didn't realize her computer failed to POST. Please refer me to that post, I must have missed it.

41. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Walter34

I am not sure if it is POSTing or not. I thought DeniseM said it was not booting. I get confused easily! Sorry if I was out in left field.

E

42. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

I tried to remove the CD drive in my present computer but it's screwed in from both sides of the cage.

I connected the BenQ to only 1 side because the cage is connected using those security screws that we discussed in another post when I was trying to switch the back panel. If nothing else, I might be able to use the ribbon cable that my present CD burner is using.

I'll connect my monitor to it to see if it POSTS and I'll bbs.

43. walter34payton2002

No, no, Fred, your right. We need to know if that computer will POST first. She just didn't specify and the problem was revolving around this BenQ, so I just tried to help with that.

44. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

Hi,

I just got back from the land of Oz. When I connected the monitor, "No Signal" displayed on the monitor for about 5 seconds and then it went blank.

LED_D1 and LED_D2 are still not lit = a CPU/Chipset Error.

LED_5SB is lit = the system is ready for Power-on.

LED_DIMM is lit = the voltage of memory is activated normally.

Located right above the SATA connector, PWRSW1 is lit which means that there is an onboard power switch button.

So it looks like I have a CPU or a chipset problem, or maybe both.

I know for a fact that the CPU was placed properly and I connected the fan/heat sink in the only way possible.

How can I find out what the problem is?

Denise

45. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

Hi everyone,

Since I know that I installed the CPU and fan/heat sink properly, I'm going to contact Biostar tomorrow and request an RMA. I don't want to take any chances with a defective chipset. If the problem is with the CPU, I might have to buy a new one because the package clearly states "NO RETURNS ONCE OPENED." The CPU might be damaged but not because of the way I installed it. So, hopefully, a new motherboard will solve all my problems.

When I receive its replacement, it shouldn't take very long to put the parts together since I've done it already, and the hard drive and power supply will remain in the case. Then I'll be back here with a lot of questions about installing software, settings, jumpers, ports, and you name it ;)

Thanks for all your help. I just feel bad that so much was done on your part and mine for it to end up this way this time. :grouphug

I won't be mailing the motherboard back to Biostar until Monday so, in the meantime, if you think of anything that will help, please let me know.

Denise

46. walter34payton2002

There is something....someone mentioned it before and I'm not sure if you answered yet (there are a lot of pages so I don't remember where or who) so I will make this clear. Are you certain that you plugged into your mobo all of the required connections from the PSU? By this, I mean specifically the 20 or 24 pin connector, but also the 12v 4 pin CPU power connector, if your board has one. To be certain, look at the board near the processor and see if there is a 4 pin connection (your PSU should have one whether you use it or not).

47. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

48. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

Hi Walter,

On page 6 of the manual, it says:

JNFAN1 is the port that has the 12v.

On page 12 of the manual, it says:

I've done this.

I have the RAM inserted correctly.

I connected the hard drive to the PSU using the given adapter, and connected the hard drive to SATA1 on the motherboard.

I had the DVD drive connected but it's disconnected now.

I also connected all the wires that came with the case to the right front panel pins. The only wire I couldn't use was 1394. There is no port for it.

Other than these connections, I don't see anything else to connect.

Denise

49. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Hey Denise
    It's too soon to RMA anything.
    If you cant post you can tell anything about your BenQ confused
    If your system wont Post or Boot, It's time to back up & start with the Basics

Try connecting only basic hardware then try to post & access BIOS
    This is the only hardware needed to post
    Power supply (make sure all power connection's from the PSU to MOBO are all connected)
    Motherboard
    CPU with Heat Sink & fan
    one stick of Memory
    If you dont have onboard Video, one video card
    one monitor
    one ps2 keyboard

Connect only the above items in your Case then connect your onboard speaker if you have one so you can hear Diagnostic Beep codes
    Then connect your power switch of your case to your motherboard, No other wiring from the case is needed

After the above steps then reset your CMOS, refer to your MOBO manual, This is usually done by removing the Motherboard battery for few minutes then reinstalling.

Then try to power your system & access BIOS, if you can, save & exit BIOS

[One other thought, many first time builders make mistake of not using motherboard standoffs or not installing then correctly thus resulting in short or grounded MOBO, this can also happen when the little red washers are not used]
    So check to see that your standoff's are installed correctly

50. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the link to the guide.

I can't say that the computer didn't get zapped but I used an anti-static mat, an anti-static wrist band (both connected to the case) and I sprayed myself, the soles of my shoes and the carpet with Static Guard each time I worked on the computer.

I believe that I put the right amount of compound on the CPU. No excess squeezed out of the sides.

Those metal clips were a b#%@* to open and then close to connect the fan/heat sink to the supporter, but they're properly connected and I latched the latch.

The holes in the case matched the holes in the montherboard. I used the red washers for each screw.

As you know, the rear panel was difficult to get off but it was no match against my rubber door stop and screwdriver butt (women are good at improvising . . . no hammer? the heal of a shoe works just as well, a nail file for a screwdriver, and eyebrow tweezers for needlenose plyers). ;)

I have the sticks of RAM in slots DIMMB1 and DIMMB2, as shown on page 7 of the manual.

The power connector has 24 pins and is connected to the 24-pin power connector on motherboard.

I haven't gotten as far as setting jumpers (I don't know what they are yet) or installing a floppy drive (it's still on order). When I had it installed, pressing the button to open the DVD drive didn't work.

I hope you can find an error in what I did so that it can easily be corrected.

Denise

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds