1. ashpash@i12.com

ashpash@i12.com Private E-2

Zone Alarm fired up and I have posted the logs below. I have also attached the BlackLight log. ZoneAlarm also blocked an outbound communication to a DNS also. I posted this before but it didnt seem to get through so I dont have all the info right now but I'm sure it will pop up again and I will get the info then.

Attached Files:

2. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

Did you run a Spybot scan during this? I'm wondering why the Regmon log shows so much about Spybot.

Please locate the below files and put them into a ZIP file and upload it here.
    c:\WINDOWS\vvbyk1.dll
    c:\WINDOWS\vvbyk1.upd
    c:\WINDOWS\system32\com9.knu
    C:\autoexec.bat

3. ashpash@i12.com

Yes, I had gone out and Spybot is set to run every week and had finished the scan by the time I got home. Totally forgot to disable it. It found nothing btw. I can only find one of the files you asked for and have attached it as a zip. I even ran a search for the file names and came away with nothing. Is there any other way I can find them.

Zone Alarms messages are increasing I had 10 this morning and all had similar messages to these:

The firewall has blocked internet access to 192.168.0.1 (DNS) from your computer
    Program: Generic Host Process for Win32 Services.
    Time: 23/08.2006 8:49:44am

The firewall has blocked internet access to mygateway.ar7 (192.168.0.1) (DNS) from your computer
    Time: 23/08.2006 8:49:50am

The firewall has blocked internet access to mygateway.ar7 (192.168.0.1) (DNS) from your computer
    Time: 23/08.2006 8:52:30am

The firewall has blocked internet access to 66.230.175.39 (HTTP) from your computer (TCP Flags:S).
    Time: 23/08.2006 9:00:58am

The firewall has blocked internet access to 66.230.175.40 (HTTP) from your computer (TCP Flags:S).
    Time: 23/08.2006 9:00:58am

The firewall has blocked internet access to 66.230.175.41 (HTTP) from your computer (TCP Flags:S).
    Time: 23/08.2006 9:01:20am

The firewall has blocked internet access to vedyne.com (66.230.175.38) (HTTP) from your computer (TCP Flags:S).
    Time: 23/08.2006 9:01:42am

Attached Files:

4. chaslang

Those messages from ZA have nothing to do with this problem. They may be for your ISP. Is the below your ISP:
    Code:
    [B]IP Address[/B]   : 66.230.175.39 [ 66.230.175.39 ]
    [B]ISP          :[/B] ISPrime
    [B]Organization :[/B] Phantographics LLC
    [B]Location     :[/B] [IMG]http://img.cqcounter.com/flags/au.gif[/IMG] AU, Australia

To Search for hidden files you must configure special search options:

Click Start and select Search
    Now Select "All files and folders"
    Enter the vvbyk1.dll in the "All or part of the file name:" box
    Now select "More advanced options"
    Make sure the following check boxes are checked:
    • Search system folders
    • Search hidden files and folders
    • Search subfolders
    Then click the Search button.

Now repeat for the below:
    c:\WINDOWS\vvbyk1.upd
    c:\WINDOWS\system32\com9.knu

The autoexec.bat file is empty. Is that how it appears on your end?

5. ashpash@i12.com

I have tried that with no luck, the search still comes up empty. The Autoexec.bat file loos the same here. When I had a look at the properties it shows as size: 0 bytes, Size on file: 0 bytes. Dont know how to open it so I didnt try. Yes that is my ISP.

6. chaslang

Download and install this: ExplorerXP Do those files show up using this utility instead of Windows Explorer.

If not, see if BlackLight is still detecting them.

7. ashpash@i12.com

Sorry, I only saw ISPrime on that and Australia but my ISP is IPrimus as in http://iprimus.com.au/PrimusWeb.

I dont think this is normal as I am now getting tons of alerts whereas I havent had any up until yesterday evening.

8. chaslang

I need you to respond to message # 106. Also when you ran BlackLight last time, did you have it clean/fix what it found????

Also do the below:

Click Start, Run, and enter ipconfig /flushdns and click OK.
    Note there is a space between ipconfig and the /flushdns

Also download HOSTER and then follow the below steps.
    • Unzip Hoster to a convenient folder such as C:\Hoster
    • Run Hoster.exe, click Restore Original Hosts and then click OK.
    • Click the X to exit the program

Last edited: Aug 23, 2006
  9. chaslang

Okay then see this link about ISPrime and Phantographics

http://www.charlesarthur.com/blog/?p=437

Attach a new ShowNew log and a new HJT log.

Also run Microworld Anti Virus & Spyware Toolkit Utility and save a log to attach here.

To save a log you will probably have to click in the Virus Log Information Pane......
    Left click and Highlight all the info in the Lower pane--- Use "CTRL C" on your Keyboard to copy all found in the lower pane and save it to a notepad file

*Note* If prompted that a Virus was found and you need to purchase the product to remove the malware, just close out the prompt and let it continue scanning.

We just want to use it to try to identify anything that is bad.

I want to make sure nothing new has found its way in.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2006
  10. ashpash@i12.com

Those files still dont show up even when I use ExplorerXP. No I didnt clean/fix then as the message said "if it displays any items....dont do anything with them yet. Just hit exit (close)." Do you want me to fix them if they show up? I am about tofollow the rest of your instructions now.

11. ashpash@i12.com

Shownew and HJT logs attached, still working......

Attached Files:

12. ashpash@i12.com

I cant run BlackLight again

Just going to run through the procedure we used last time to fix this and hope it works.

13. ashpash@i12.com

Working again and BlackLight is still detecting the hidden files...should I clean/fix them?? Want to know before I carry on with the other instructions as I dont know if it will affect the outcome.

14. chaslang

Yes! But do things in the below order!

1. Have BlackLight fix those files.
    2. Stop any kpwnX.exe process
    3. Manually delete all kpwnX.exe process in C:\Windows\Temp (yes even delete the fake one I created)
    4. Use HJT to fix both O4 lines in your HJT log
    5. run the ipconfig /flushdns command
    6. run the Hoster procedure
    7. run Microworld Anti Virus & Spyware Toolkit Utility and attach the log here for me to see before continuing.
    8. Then before you even start FileMon and Regmon, make sure that the kpwn stuff has not come back yet. If it has repeat all necessary steps above (execept do not run steps 5, 6 & 7) Then setup Regmon and Filemon and let them start capturing. Stop the capture when the kpwn stuff comes back.
    9. Attach the Regmon and Filemon logs (make sure you do not run any other scans in between to avoid making logs get to long).

15. ashpash@i12.com

Going insane now!! How do you fix those thing in BlackLight? I followed the help and pressed "rename" for all 3 files. I restarted the computer as it said it would but not being convinced I decided to rescan. I lost mypriviledges again. I had to use Setrights.cmd and reboot. Scan again and the are still being picked up by Blacklight. Am I doing it right??

I am being inundated with Zone Alarm security alerts which eventually stops my surfing ability (not quite sure if this is the reason for that but dont know what else it could be). I then have to reboot and loose my admin privileges.......it's like a merry go round!

16. chaslang

I'm not sure what is going on but something is changing your priviledges all the time.

Let's try this new tool out: Sophos Anti-Rootkit 1.0

Let me know what it finds. If it finds the samething, try to fix them.

Run steps 5, 6, & 7 from my previous procedure no matter what happens.

17. chaslang

You can just tell ZoneAlarm to block silently! That way it will stop getting in your way. You can always look at the log anytime you want to see what activity may still be occurring.

18. ashpash@i12.com

Finally got it all complete, between losing my privileges all the time and then having a corrupt download of Microworld Anti Virus thingy. Btw every link ended up with a corrupt copy, I eventually downloaded it direct from their site. Took me all day. I hope I didnt forget anything.

I managed to delete those files using Sophos and have attached the file for you. It said there were a few others which I didnt fix as I wasnt sure if I could or not, the log shows the thing that I didnt fix.

I have set up Regmon and Filemon to capture so now I'm off to wait.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2006
  19. ashpash@i12.com

kpwn1.exe has just popped up from Zone Alarm and at the same time Avast came up with a Trojan Horse. File Name: C:\WINDOWS\vvbyk1.dll, Malware Name: Win32:Agent-gen(Trj). I have attached the Filemon and Regmon logs. I was not surfing or checking email at the time, I was watching TV when I heard the alarm. I didnt even have Firefox or Outlook Express open, in act the only thing I had open was Filemon and Regmon.

Attached Files:

20. chaslang

Please run this WareOut Removal and attach the requested report aftwarwards.

Rename the below nOw.exe file to nOw.xxx:
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\nOw.exe

Go back to step 1 of the READ & RUN ME to Disable System Restore which will flush your Restore Points. Then reboot and enable System Restore to create a new clean Restore Point.

At one point in the last process did you enable Filemon and Regmon? There still seems to be other activity not related to just waiting for the kpwn process to startup again. It even looks like a defrag of the harddisk may have been started. It is strange that the Filemon log starts at 7:53:41 PM with a ZoneAlarm access (vsmon.exe is zonealarm) trying to access the C:\windows\temp\kpwn1.exe process and then you ran until at 9:39:33 PM before stopping the log.

Also the Regmon log shows that you were access stuff with FireFox
    Also something or you had a command prompt opened (cmd.exe) which made an attempted access to registry keys about this file:
    When you have been deleting all the kpwn stuff (registry and files) have you also been emptying the Windows Prefetch folder. This file was shown there C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\KPWN1.EXE-1F483450.pf You must always make sure to either delete all files in the prefetch folder or at a minimum delete any files with kpwnX.exe in the name.

Try using PocketKillbox (I know you have used it earlier in this thread) to delete the below file on reboot:
    C:\WINDOWS\vvbyk1.dll

Does PocketKillbox find and delete the file. Is Avast still finding it. What about Sophos or BlackLight?

Let me ask a question! With this process (whatever it is) still periodically appearing, what is the overall performance of your PC like. In otherwords, other than this and ZA popping up about it, how is your PC running?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2006
  21. ashpash@i12.com

OK, lets see if I can answer all your questions.

I ran Wareout removal and have attached the report.

I cannot find any such file to delete. The only exe file there is a hidden one called "qkhxe.exe".

I followed the steps in message #114 and the last thing I did was set filemon and regmon after running throught the steps. I did nothing with any other program after setting them up to capture. However I didnt stop the capture as soon as the alarm sounded as I was tied up with helping a friend. I did as soon as I could. Firefox wasnt even open....nothing was apart from the processes in the background.

I'm sorry, I didnt know I had too. I will always only do what you tell me too and I do know that at one stage I was told to do this but didnt know this was something I should do eveytime.:eek: I'm not sure exactly where else this file hides and not knowing enough about this process, dont want to stuff something up.

PocketKillBox doesnt find this file and I tried a seach using Sophos and it didnt find it either. When Avast sent its warning I used the option to send to the chest, it's still sitting there, should I delete the chest? I will see if I can run BlackLight and see what this turns up.

Not too bad, I notice that startup seems to take a while as does shutdown. Sometimes there's a lag when I open a window. Ever since we deleted those hidden files with Sophos ZA has stopped with all the Security Alerts. The only one I have had today is for kpwn1.exe. Still having a problem with my admin privileges.

I did a search for all files and folders on my PC and I have attached a screenshot of the results. Should I try following all the steps in #114 (taking great care to delete every instance of the file), setting up filemon and regmon, whilst not going within 5 yards of my PC and stopping the log as soon as the process pops up??

Attached Files:

22. ashpash@i12.com

Just scanned using Sophos and BlackLight and have attached the scan results. Do you need me to flush my system restore points?

Attached Files:

23. chaslang

Yes flush your System Restore points.

That file you found in the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared folder has renamed itself again according to Sophos. First it was nOw.exe, then you only found qkhxe.exe. Now Sophos reports, C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Aqkc.exe:$EFS

Run Sophos again and fix the two rootkits
    1) C:\WINDOWS\system32:c_100rc.nls

2) C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Aqkc.exe:$EFS
    This second one may have changed names already. I wonder if it is related at all to the kpwnX.exe . Whatever randomly named EXE filename is appearing here is bad and must be deleted. If Sophos does not delete it, delete it yourself.

After fixing those, stop any kpwnX.exe process that it running, then yes go thru and delete all files than have anything saying kpwn in them. Delete all that you showed in your message. Also make sure to delete all files in C:\Windows\Prefetch (to be safe, just delete all files in this folder). Then run HJT and make sure all registry keys that show kpwnX.exe are fixed.

After doing ALL of the above shut down ALL unnecessary processes (including browsers). Make sure no tasks are set to run (like defrags, scans etc). Have ZoneAlarm Lock the Internet connection. Then configure Regmon and Filemon and start capturing. Make note of what time you start them. Try to stop the capture a close to the time the problem pops up. If it does not popup again in a time frame where you normally expect it to popup, then Unlock the Internet block of ZoneAlarm and continue capturing.

24. ashpash@i12.com

Cant delete these using either Sophos, BlackLight or manual methods. Sophos says that #1 "Error : Failed to remove file (Access is denied). Says that the removal of #2 is successful. I looked and it's still there under another name. Should I try this in safe mode?? I have looked manually for #1 but I cant see it.

25. chaslang

Yes try booting into safe mode and also physically unplug your cable to the Internet before reboot!

Did you try looking for the first file using ExplorerXP?

Do you have a bootable Windows XP SP2 CD?

I have a feeling that the randomly named file (currently Aqkc.exe) is encrypted and the the $EFS at the end is for the below:

http://www.iopus.com/guides/efs.htm

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/encrypt_overview.mspx?mfr=true

There were things in your Regmon log that also showed references to encryption and a seed being used. Here is what I mean:
    In addition, the files shown in System Restore by Sophos, also appears to be encrypted.

Have you used or did you ever use any kind of encryption software on this PC? Was it used for or is it used for any kind of government work?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2006
  26. ashpash@i12.com

No joy I'm afraid. That file is displayed with a green color so it must be encrypted.

Couldn't find it using this either.

I just knew that question was coming at some stage. No I dont....long story. The quick version is that the place I had this PC built used an OEM copy of XP Pro. When I realised this was a problem I went back to them to fix it up but they had gone out of business (they were someone I had used for the last 5 years so I thought they would be around). I should have realised it was something I would need sooner. Is it something I can make?

No to both questions.

Am I stuck??

27. chaslang

Yes a bootable Windows CD for your SP level can be quite important. Especially when things like this happen. You could make your own but to do that you would have to have your own legal copy of another Windows XP CD and then you could slipstream in SP2. But that is not a topic for this forum.

You could also possibly make another BootCD that could be used to boot your system and if it still gives you access to your C drive, you may be able to manual delete the hidden files. Again the making of this type of CD is outside the scope of things discussed in this forum. Tools like the below can sometimes be used:

Ultimate Boot CD (Basic)

Bart's PE Builder

And sometimes even a Linux based CD can prove useful. The below is an example of such a CD (click on the English flag at the top to read in English).

http://www.knoppix.org/

28. ashpash@i12.com

Any ideas where to go from here? I could look into making a bootable CD but would it be easier to go to the repair shop and get them to fix it? I know that will probably cost me but I dont know what else to do....we seem to have come to an unfixable problem (well, for me at least).

29. chaslang

Well a repair shop has an advantage that the PC will be right in front of them! ;) They will still need to play some games to get rid of these rootkits and to hunt down the source of kpwn. They will more than likely need to boot to the Recovery Console using a Windows XP SP2 CD.

Let me ask a question though. When did all of your malware problems begin? Perhaps a System Restore to a date before they began could help. We have no way of knowing exactly when these rootkits arrive though since your PC seems to running reasonably well even with them.

30. ashpash@i12.com

The only restore point I have on the system is yesterday. There is nothing before this date, in fact I cant even go back to last month. Dont know if thats because we flushed them.

If I left these this would they damage anything, I know that's a hard question as we dont know what it is, but just your opinion would do. If fact if this was your PC what would you do?? Just an idea of what to do next, as you say it does not seem to be affecting me adversely.

31. chaslang

I don't believe we flushed them. We never got to the point where you were clean so we would not have requested it.

That's not easy to answer as you suggested. We just don't know exactly what all of these are and what they could be doing. It I were in your shoes, I would backup all of my personal data and re-partition, format, and reinstall the OS. The problem is that you do not have a valid CD to reinstall from and to reactivate a license from so this is not really a useful suggestion to you. Backing up your data though should be done no matter what. You just don't know what could happen while trying to fix these or if you just continue running with them installed. Also, if you do take it some place for a repair, it could also be dangerous to have not backed up all of your important data. You could loose all of it while attempts at cleaning are performed. Also the final suggestion of the place you take it to may be to format anyway. It could be faster and less costly.

If you like, you could try the new tool (just got it today) to see if it has any better luck:

AVG Anti-Rootkit 1.0.0.13 Beta

Also you could give the below a run a attach a log from it. I' m curious to see if any of those files have Alternate Data Streams (ADS). Don't fix anything with it unless I tell you to. Many valid files will have ADS too.

ADSspy

32. ashpash@i12.com

I have attached the adsspy log. That AVG Rootkit didnt help either. It found 2 which were C:\WINDOWS\vvbyk1.dl_ and C:\WINDOWS\vvbyk1.up_ I set them to delete and the program did a reboot. I tried the scan again and they came up again.

Sorry :eek: but if you look back at message #120 you mentioned doing a Restore flush, in #122 I asked if we still needed to do it as we hadnt fixed the problem but in #123 you said yes. So I did....oops!

I will get a quote from the shop to do a full format and install a legit copy of XP and see how it goes. At this stage it would seem like the easiest thing to do, just depends on whether it's in the price range ;) . What would be the best programs to install to stop this kind of thing happening again. I though I had it all covered but I guess I didnt. I was using Avast, Ad-Aware, Spybot, SpywareBlaster, BHODemon and XoftSpy and all updated on a weekly basis. Is there one (paid or unpaid) that does a better job that multiple progs in your opinion?? What do you use?? Hope you dont mind me picking your brain....but then again I have been from some time:D

Even if we never get this fixed and I have to reformat I would like to say thanks a million for all the help you and BJ gave me and send a virtual hug!!

Attached Files:

33. chaslang

So these are back again too! Did those connections to that IP address come back too. Didn't Sophos remove these last time ? Please see if you can get copies of those to files into a ZIP file and attach it here. While looking, also check to see if the following files exist: C:\WINDOWS\vvbyk1.dll and C:\WINDOWS\vvbyk1.upd (also see if there are any other files that begin with vvbyk1 ) Then also run Sophos and or Blacklight to see if it will remove them.

You're right! I forgot that we had tried to clean upi that stuff in System Restore. Sorry about that.

In realitty it would probably be cheaper for you to just purchase a legal full copy of Windows XOP SP2 and just fdisk, repartition, format, and reinstall on your own. It is not really that difficult. You could save the money on the repair shop and get a full copy of Windows while doing it.

Sorry to say there is not absolute perfect solution. Following the suggestions in the How to protect thread are a great help though. Reading and understanding and then following the suggestions there are very important. You are the first and last line of defense. So the better educated you are, the safer you and your PC will be. My personal preference for antispyware applications is Spy Sweeper. For some people on slower machines it can be a little to resource intensive, but that is also because it does a more comprehensive job then other tools. Avast is fine however many people like AVG more.

Your welcome.

Let's continue to look at some stuff (at least until you decide to call it quits and format).
    I should have had you change the options on ADS Spy to select a Full scan (all NTFS drives). The log seems to indicate only a small part of your drive was scanned. Also only ADS streams that occured due to Kaspersky being run where found. Let's clean up those streams from Kaspersky and then run a new Full scan.

Download the utility Klstreamremover.zip
    Unzip the archive in the root folder of driive C so we can clear the ADS streams
    Run Klstreamremover.exe with the parameter –r To easily do this open a command prompt window and change directories to the root of drive C where this tool was extracted ( cd C:\ ). Then type in Klstreamremover -r
    Wait utility work to finish

Note: if there you have other NTFS partitions on your computer, repeat previously described actions for each partition.
    After doing the above run ADSspy and change the default option to be

Full scan (all NTFS drives)

Then run a new scan and attach the new log.

34. ashpash@i12.com

Cant find them to get copies, even using ExplorerXP. I ran Sophos and deleted these items and rebooted. Lost my privileges so I setrights and rebooted. Ran Sophos again and the results are posted below. Still there!

I did change the scan settings for the full scan. I did it again just to be sure and have posted the results....sorry, I had to zip it as it wouldnt let me upload it). They look the same. I'm not sure what the Kaspersky streams are so I dont know what to clean up....sorry!!:eek: I havent done the last part of your post as I dont know how to clean up the above streams first.

Attached Files:

35. chaslang

I told you how to clean them up in my last post and you needed to do that before running ADSspy.

36. ashpash@i12.com

Duh!!! Sorry, totally misunderstood, I thought they were 2 seperate sets of instructions. I'll do it now.

37. ashpash@i12.com

Ok, I followed your instructions and have posted the adsspy results. The only thing checked on adsspy was "Full Scan (all NTFS drives)". I unchecked "Ignore Safe system info" as when I did it with this checked there was no results.

38. ashpash@i12.com

Sorry forgot to attach the log

Attached Files:

39. chaslang

Well that shows us nothing of interest. The Zone.Identifier stream that shows is normal. [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]This stream is generated by Internet Explorer and Outlook when saving files from to local disk from different security zones. [/FONT]

Sorry to say but at this point all I can suggest is that you backup all of your personal data and downloads and take your PC someplace for a full reinstall (or see if a local tech who can actually sit in front of your keyboard and PC can repair it).

40. ashpash@i12.com

Well, what can you say....we tried, we threw everything we could at it. I had a quote to do a full format and a reinstall a "good" copy of XP Home for under $300. XP Pro was going to cost about $450. I really dont think I need Pro although I have been using it for some time now. If you think there is a better OS then feel free to advise. I will still shop around for a slightly better price.

Again I want to thank you for trying so hard to rid me of this pest, I really do appreciate the time you spent helping me. XO

41. chaslang

Well personally I prefer XP Pro, but you have to decide what your budget allows. What ever you choose, make sure you are get a valid license for Windows XP and that they are not using some OEM copy to install on dozens of PCs.

You're welcome. I'm sorry that we were not able to get this fixed.

42. ashpash@i12.com

Is there a great deal of difference between them? I was told that the only difference was the server side of the package. You can be sure I will get a valid license for my windows though.

Btw, Avast has just recognised kwpn1.exe as a trojan and has popped up with the message "Win32:Samll-BGT [Trj] has been found in C:\WINDOWS\Temp|kpwn1.exe\[UPX]" I moved it to the chest but it's a little too late now for that alert.

43. chaslang

I'm not sure of all the differences because I have only had Win XP Pro, but that is one difference. Others are differences occur may be in multimedia areas and various admin type things. You may get a better answer for this in the Software Forum.

That's nice (but I assume you meant Small-BGT ??). We knew it was bad all along! ;) Hey! A new Sophos Anti-Rootkit 1.1 just came out. If you have not taken the PC in for reinstall and if you feel like it, give it a try and see if it does a better job at fixing any of those problems we were seeing. I would also suggest that when you run it that you physically unplug your cable to the internet and then shutdown every application that you have running other than Sophos (even shutdown antispyware, antivirus, and firewall). Run it once in normal boot mode and save a log. Then reboot into safe mode (make sure everything is shutdown again) and run it again and save a log.

Then reboot into normal mode and make sure your antispyware, antivirus, and firewall are back on and connect to the internet and come here and post your results.

PS: It's just hard to call it quits! ;)

And having said that, also give the below a try:

a-squared (a²) Free edition - you will have to give them a valid email address

Trojan Remover - 30 day trial - makes sure you get all updates

44. ashpash@i12.com

Sorry I took so long to get back to you, last few day have been very busy and have hardly had time to check my email. I tried the Sophos scan witht the new version and have posted the results below. The 1st one is in regular mode following your instructions and the 2nd is in safe mode.

I ran the A Squared scan and have attached the log, TrojanRemover found nothing so there was no report to post.

Hope you had a good weekend:) and yes it is hard to give up isnt it ;)

Attached Files:

45. chaslang

Well that did not change anything except that I did not see the kpwn1.exe file in c:\windows\temp\ in the logs.

Did you actually try having Sophos fix what it found even though they do not recommend it?

I would disable System Restore (and leave it disabled) then I would run Sophos (only once in normal boot mode) and let it fix what it finds. Then attach the new log.

46. chaslang

I'm not sure what you have done with your PC! But we now know a bit more about your problem and it related all the way back to the LinkOptimizer item I had you remove way back. Read the Technical Details from Symantec here:

Trojan.Linkoptimizer

It describes those files in the Temp and Microsoft Shared folder we were trying to remove.

You should give the below tool a try if you have not yet formatted your PC.

Let me know the results of the scan!

47. ashpash@i12.com

Thanks for the info I hadn't got around to reformatting yet as I am waiting for payday. I ran that tool and have attached the log, it looks good so far. That file in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ that keeps changing names has gone. When I logged back on to the net I got warning from Avast that vvbyk1.dll and kpwn1.exe had been found and moved to the chest.

Attached Files:

48. ashpash@i12.com

I have just restored my priviledges and run both BlackLight and Sophos. BlackLight found nothing but Sophos found 1 hidden file. I have attached the log. I tried to get Sophos to fix it but it's a encrypted file and it's still there although it hasnt changed names.

Attached Files:

49. chaslang

Looks better!

If you run the Gromozon tool again does it come up clean?

Is your HJT log clean (you know the kpwn1 line)?

50. ashpash@i12.com

I ran it again and posted the log below. That file "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\PXR2.tmp:$EFS" is still there though and hasnt been removed.

Attached Files:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds