Laptop Not Able to Connect to Secure Sites

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jason, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Jason

Jason Private E-2

I have two brand new Dells - PC is a Dimension and Inspiron Laptop. Both have identical specs with the exception of the Laptop's 2X memory.

The house is wired for DSL and the two computers share the connection via a wireless router. The PC is the one that the router is connected to. The Laptop has the card with external antenna.

Here is the problem. The laptop will not access any sites that require a password such as my online banking account, website editor via networksolutions, etc.

If I go to click on the link that takes you to the site - the following explorer error occurs. I have changed all the security settings to low.

This problem does not happen with the PC and sites are available.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks ahead of time.
    Jason
    The page cannot be displayed

The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.Please try the following:

• <LI id=instructionsText1>Click the [​IMG] Refresh button, or try again later.
      <LI id=instructionsText2>If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.
      <LI id=instructionsText3>To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP). <LI id=list4>If your Network Administrator has enabled it, Microsoft Windows can examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings.
      If you would like Windows to try and discover them,
      click [​IMG] Detect Network Settings <LI id=instructionsText5>Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed. <LI id=instructionsText4>If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
    • Click the [​IMG] Back button to try another link.

Cannot find server or DNS Error
    Internet Explorer

2. mr_flea

mr_flea First Sergeant

(shot in the dark)

Make sure your encryption is 128 bits or more to connect to secure web pages. The server will reject your connection if it is not secure enough to protect your information.

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Uninstall your firewall on the laptop.

Try the sites again.

4. Jason

Jason Private E-2

I disabled the firewall and still get the same message. I pinged the laptop and all 4 were fine (nothing lost)

I went through the microsoft troubleshooting and nothing helped there.

How do you check the encryption?

This is very frustrating as I would like to order things, edit my website and just access online banking from the laptop but I am limited to the desktop in the office.

Any other thoughts are appreciated!!

Jason

5. Fw190

Fw190 Lt. Anti-Social

goto the help menu, then choose about internet explorer, it will tell you the cipher strengh. Also, you may want o check for a firmware update for the router.

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

If its a third party firewall, disabling it doesn't unblock ports.

Try uninstalling it.

7. 187MDK

187MDK Guest

You may also want to check the router settings for the wireless connections. There should be a numeric network IP you can input into your browser that will hit the setup screen for the router (this is generally covered in the owner's manual). Bit of a shot in the dark here as well, but I know that some wireless routers have settings to restrict he wireless access to encrypted sites to prevent people from snarfing through your WAP into the net and accessing information they shouldn't.

Hope this helps.

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I disagree, but thats in my nature ;)

I cannot think of one wireless setting that denies access to secure (most likely SSL) sites.

Now there may be overall router settings but I would expect the desktop to have the same problem.

9. Jason

Jason Private E-2

Update To My Problem

Thanks for all the feedback.... Now the question moves from a wireless networking issue to a general connection problem.

I took the laptop to my in-laws house and removed the wireless adapter. I proceeded to plug their DSL line directly into the laptop. (something I never tried at my house)

I then went to my bank site that I have never been able to access and also to the website editor...I fully expected the sites to work but the same error appears and I am unable to access anything or buy anything at all - this is with a direct connection!

I am going to go back through your posts and try some more things but - like I said I thought it was a networking problem at first but now it is obviously something else....

Any suggestions would be appreciated..

Thanks again.

Jason

10. Jason

Jason Private E-2

Still no luck

This is all I see on the page - the status bar does not stay long enough and all you see is "done" at the bottom...

Still frustrated as my mother in laws laptop was ordered from Dell at the same time - with no modifications and her's has no problem accessing pages.

The page cannot be displayed

The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.Please try the following:

• <LI id=instructionsText1>Click the [​IMG] Refresh button, or try again later.
      <LI id=instructionsText2>If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.
      <LI id=instructionsText3>To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP). <LI id=list4>If your Network Administrator has enabled it, Microsoft Windows can examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings.
      If you would like Windows to try and discover them,
      click [​IMG] Detect Network Settings <LI id=instructionsText5>Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed. <LI id=instructionsText4>If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
    • Click the [​IMG] Back button to try another link.

Cannot find server or DNS Error
    Internet Explorer

11. Jason

Jason Private E-2

Still nothing

I went through all the tutorials on the link and I am still having the problem.

More specifically, I am trying to access the personal banking logon for Washington Mutual Bank.

I go to www.Wamu.com.

This loads in correctly. Then I click on the tab for personal banking -- I get the message I have posted below.

I also noticed this was appearing in the toolbar:

res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm#http://www.wamu.com/servlet/wamu/pu...s://www.wamu.com/LogonWizard/SignOn/Logon.jsp

This appears everytime for this bank.

I will not give up on this - I appreciate your input greatly!

Jason

12. Iceburg

Iceburg Private First Class

format c: just kidding...

Take off your Windows firewall, take out any 3rd party firewalls, turn off your anti-virus, re-install IE and it will work.

13. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

new.net is spyware, not a trojan.

Just a small correction :)

14. Iceburg

No but really, here you go.

15. Iceburg

16. Freddy

Freddy Sergeant

Are you using IE? Are other non-encrypted sites giving you problems? Sounds like an certificates or host file issue.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds