Laptop rescued from fire-but smoke damaged

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tray-C, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Tray-C

Tray-C Private E-2

Is there a way of getting rid of most of the smoke damage caused from a fire?
    The laptop survived the fire ok. It functions normally. Only the outside was damaged by smoke. I'm sure that not all the smell will come out, but I'm hoping to get rid of at least most of it.
    Any realistic ideas?

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Things like moth ball, dryer sheets, activated charcoal and kitty litter containing clay will all remove odors. You might buy one of those, put it into a bit of netting so any small bits and pieces do not get inside the notebook then put the notebook and the netting, containing the product into a large zip-lock bag for a day or two.
    Even baking soda will remove odors but since it is so fine, I'm not sure what you could put it in and be sure that nothing seeps into the notebook.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds